What do you need from a Hem/Onc fellowship program's website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedOncMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a medical oncologist, faculty member, and admissions committee member at a major cancer center with a highly competitive fellowship match. We are considering revamping our website and need your input.

1) What information do you expect to find on most competitive programs' websites?

2) What information do you wish was provided but rarely is?

3) How important is a program's website to you as a part of your decision-making process?

4) Any other thoughts regarding Hem/Onc fellowships and website design/content?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

A program website is important to me, and the more information/transparency available the better. I'm a few years away from applying for fellowship but I have been looking at some h/o program sites already just to see what is out there. I would like to see where fellowship grads go after they're done (academic, private, another fellowship, etc).

Hi, I am a medical oncologist, faculty member, and admissions committee member at a major cancer center with a highly competitive fellowship match. We are considering revamping our website and need your input.

1) What information do you expect to find on most competitive programs' websites?

2) What information do you wish was provided but rarely is?

3) How important is a program's website to you as a part of your decision-making process?

4) Any other thoughts regarding Hem/Onc fellowships and website design/content?

Thank you!

Things I like to see are basic information about the program: number of spots, approximate interview dates, a typical yearly schedule, information on clinics, amount of call, whether you can single board, salary & benefits information, etc.

It's nice to have info on the city and places to stay, directions to get from the airport to the hospital (this kind of stuff is often in emails sent with invitations, but I found it helpful if it was on the program website).

A link to faculty directory with research interests.

A list of current fellows and research interests. I agree that it'd also be nice to have information on where the fellows go after completing the program.

Having said all that, I can't imagine that the website would factor in any meaningful way in actually selecting a fellowship. At best, a well-designed and informative website just helps create a good impression and suggests a well-run program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having said all that, I can't imagine that the website would factor in any meaningful way in actually selecting a fellowship. At best, a well-designed and informative website just helps create a good impression and suggests a well-run program.

^This.

I think websites are probably a bigger deal for residency programs than fellowships. On your 2nd time through the match, you hopefully realize how irrelevant most of the things that you can quantify and put in a list really are for your training. While it's nice to have access to that information, using it to make a decision about where to train is nonsense.

But I agree that a well-designed site with all this information makes a program look better. Even if it's all verifiably bulls***.

Thanks - very helpful. I agree that a well-designed site is important if only to help the program look like it has it's act together. Primary reason we are focused on improving...