What do you guys look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ED50

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster. I'm a first year med student and am pretty sure I'm going to be gunning for a PM & R spot. I was just wondering (more fun then serious) what would an ideal resident look like for you? Qualities, interests, if research on what etc. and if you are currently practicing then what qualities do you look for in a potential partner? These answers can be really specific to you e.g. they have to be interested in spine research and basketball. I'm just curious what sort of things the SD network PM and R physician and residents value when looking for future colleagues.

As an aside I'm really excited to delve into this field. I have shadowing and research set up for the summer! Thanks for the input :)

Members don't see this ad.

I personally like to have a colleague I can banter with. Knowledge of the real world outside of medicine is also nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you what I've looked for in a partner:

Personable - easy to talk to. Smiles.
Confident - knows what s/he wants, and how to get it.
Training - went to a program with a name, trained under docs who are well known.
Diverse skills - not just an average grad with average skills. Went the extra mile and developed better skills.

I can tell you what I've looked for in a partner:

Personable - easy to talk to. Smiles.
Confident - knows what s/he wants, and how to get it.
Training - went to a program with a name, trained under docs who are well known.
Diverse skills - not just an average grad with average skills. Went the extra mile and developed better skills.

Thanks for the input everyone!
PMR 4 MSK, if I may ask, when you reference well known docs, is PM and R a small enough specialty where most of the major names in the PM and R world are known by most other physicians?

Thanks for the input everyone!
PMR 4 MSK, if I may ask, when you reference well known docs, is PM and R a small enough specialty where most of the major names in the PM and R world are known by most other physicians?

Moreso than almost any other specialty.