What do you guys like to do other than podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gone through a few Rolex's, but with crime these days I try not to wear anything that attracts attention. My current one just sits in my watch winder, gathering dust.

My insurance company would not cover the watch under homeowners. I had to have a seperated personal property policy.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to get robbed at gunpoint or something exciting like that.

My wife wears her Rolex maybe once a year. I have to reset it for her every time haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to get robbed at gunpoint or something exciting like that.

My wife wears her Rolex maybe once a year. I have to reset it for her every time haha.
I have several watches, and obviously you have to play it smart and consider your surroundings. But I would say I wear a “nice” watch 90% of the time.

Before we sold the office, we had an office in a pretty rough area. One day I had to cover that office unexpectedly when an associate was sick.

So I was wearing a Rolex and it caught the eye of a patient who looked like he’d shoot his mother if she looked at him wrong.

He kept commenting on the watch. So I took it off and told him it’s a really bad fake and he can have it for 50 bucks. He said “nah, I don’t want that crap”.

Not sure what I would have done if he pulled out a 50 dollar bill. Needless to say on the rare instances I covered that office I wore a gshock.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I have several watches, and obviously you have to play it smart and consider your surroundings. But I would say I wear a “nice” watch 90% of the time.

Before we sold the office, we had an office in a pretty rough area. One day I had to cover that office unexpectedly when an associate was sick.

So I was wearing a Rolex and it caught the eye of a patient who looked like he’d shoot his mother if she looked at him wrong.

He kept commenting on the watch. So I took it off and told him it’s a really bad fake and he can have it for 50 bucks. He said “nah, I don’t want that crap”.

Not sure what I would have done if he pulled out a 50 dollar bill. Needless to say on the rare instances I covered that office I wore a gshock.

I stopped wearing mine in the office as it still shows wealth. The economy is getting worse and there are people that will file lawsuits in hopes of making money. I want the patients to think I have very little they can go after in a frivolous lawsuit. I drive an old car, wear old shoes and scrubs and enjoy things in private.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pressure washing. Im not joking. I LOVE to pressure wash. I pressure wash anything and everything I can. Its so satisfying. I burned out my first pressure washer and had to buy another one recently. I look for things I can pressure wash. My siding, concrete, deck, boat, etc are the cleanest thing you will ever lay your eyes on.

Cooking is one of my favorite ways to pass time. Especially outside/grilling. Followed by hiking, cycling (road), boating/fishing, running, bonfires in summer with a pilsner or pale ale, fireplace (wood) in the winter with a stout, getting into a series on TV. Last season of better call saul was 10/10. So far im not overly impressed with House of Dragons but its only episode 2. I also spend a lot of time on Zillow even though im not in the market for a new house.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Wife and I enjoy wine tasting and exploring local wineries. We also like to travel, although covid has had a major negative impact on our plans over the past 2 years. We typically try to do 1 big trip (international) per year and a couple smaller domestic trips.

I am into college football and English Premier League football. Also, as a Korean I have been listening to k-pop since the 90s and it's great as an attending to be able to play it in the OR. If people don't like it they just have to deal with it.

After 15 years of apartment life, we recently bought a home so now most of my free time is doing yard/pool/home maintenance stuff. About 2 weeks after we moved in, I told my wife "I see the appeal of a townhome..." haha. I do like having much more space as well as a decent sized lot. The swimming pool is really nice to have since it's hot for most of the year.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Wife and I enjoy wine tasting and exploring local wineries. We also like to travel, although covid has had a major negative impact on our plans over the past 2 years. We typically try to do 1 big trip (international) per year and a couple smaller domestic trips.

I am into college football and English Premier League football. Also, as a Korean I have been listening to k-pop since the 90s and it's great as an attending to be able to play it in the OR. If people don't like it they just have to deal with it.

After 15 years of apartment life, we recently bought a home so now most of my free time is doing yard/pool/home maintenance stuff. About 2 weeks after we moved in, I told my wife "I see the appeal of a townhome..." haha. I do like having much more space as well as a decent sized lot. The swimming pool is really nice to have since it's hot for most of the year.
Ugh I hate yard work with a passion. It is definitely a stressor in my life. I would pick a townhouse or condo over a house everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:
I stopped wearing mine in the office as it still shows wealth. The economy is getting worse and there are people that will file lawsuits in hopes of making money. I want the patients to think I have very little they can go after in a frivolous lawsuit. I drive an old car, wear old shoes and scrubs and enjoy things in private.
Many moons ago when I was a student and shadowed an old shyster pod. He wore a lounge singer pinky ring, gold Rolex and obnoxious gold bracelet (to his credit he didn’t wear a gold foot on a chain around his neck like many of that era). He also parked his Ferrari outside the office.

He told me patients WANT to see this stuff since it means you’re successful and people want to use a successful doctor.

Needless to say I left that office stat!

Reactions: 1 users
Many moons ago when I was a student and shadowed an old shyster pod. He wore a lounge singer pinky ring, gold Rolex and obnoxious gold bracelet (to his credit he didn’t wear a gold foot on a chain around his neck like many of that era). He also parked his Ferrari outside the office.

He told me patients WANT to see this stuff since it means you’re successful and people want to use a successful doctor.

Needless to say I left that office stat!
That is funny.

I sorta play the poor, humble and still paying student loans card. There is no way to out-class my current area demographic. I sometimes drive the absolute oldest and cheapest vehicle in the hospital lot (always bottom 25th percentile, to be sure!). I do try to use adequate staffing, clean office, fitness/grooming/dress, skill to let the pts know they came to the right place, tho. :)

...you guys are on another level for watches. My wear-to-office watches are all under $100, some even $10. I think my most expensive i own is a $400-500 Movado (great pawn shops when I lived in Detroit!). It probably cost maybe twice that new, but I still only wear it to important dates, events, meetings. :ninja:

Reactions: 1 user
It’s such a weird balancing act between looking well-off enough (ergo, likely good at what you do) and not looking too well off (crooked).

I don’t wear a watch anymore at all.

• Love
Did car stuff today

PXL_20220904_175347479.jpg
PXL_20220904_172956724.jpg
PXL_20220904_174453728.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Nice! Thats the car I got in way back in the day that convinced me to get my first manual lol. Very very fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pressure washing. Im not joking. I LOVE to pressure wash. I pressure wash anything and everything I can. Its so satisfying. I burned out my first pressure washer and had to buy another one recently. I look for things I can pressure wash. My siding, concrete, deck, boat, etc are the cleanest thing you will ever lay your eyes on.

Cooking is one of my favorite ways to pass time. Especially outside/grilling. Followed by hiking, cycling (road), boating/fishing, running, bonfires in summer with a pilsner or pale ale, fireplace (wood) in the winter with a stout, getting into a series on TV. Last season of better call saul was 10/10. So far im not overly impressed with House of Dragons but its only episode 2. I also spend a lot of time on Zillow even though im not in the market for a new house.

Do we know each other? I got one from Costco 3 years ago (electric washer) and I love it. Summer or winter, I like using it to clean any cement surfaces (especially my driveway) and also the sidings of the entire house. Washing cars with it is super fun with a foam cannon attachment. I 100% agree nothing is more satisfying than seeing that layer of caked in dust being blasted away from the cement. There are some stubborn plantar pot stains that I made on accident and I’ve been searching for some answers. Looks like the professional pressure washers use a concentrated bleach of some sort to soak the cement prior to blasting it.

Do we know each other? I got one from Costco 3 years ago (electric washer) and I love it. Summer or winter, I like using it to clean any cement surfaces (especially my driveway) and also the sidings of the entire house. Washing cars with it is super fun with a foam cannon attachment. I 100% agree nothing is more satisfying than seeing that layer of caked in dust being blasted away from the cement. There are some stubborn plantar pot stains that I made on accident and I’ve been searching for some answers. Looks like the professional pressure washers use a concentrated bleach of some sort to soak the cement prior to blasting it.
Just bought a paint sprayer which I think might be my next addiction.

I don’t see a problem with wearing a high end suit (when appropriate), wearing a quality high end watch or driving a nice car. There is no need to hide your success. And we all know success isn’t based on the material goods you own. But I’ve worked hard and don’t need to be apologetic for liking what I consider the “finer things”.

However, I do NOT flaunt anything. I live in a pretty wealthy area and I know many who make more in a few weeks than I do annually.

I do have one pet peeve, especially considering our profession. I hate seeing people well dressed, suit or sport coat wearing a pair of cheap, crappy shoes.

You can put someone in a $4000 suit with cheap shoes and it’ll look like crap. You can put someone in a $400 suit with high quality shoes and look like a stud.

Of course NaTch is the exception. He can wear his mountain bike shoes with a tux and still look like a stud.

• Haha
Okay, I think I see your problem. Those parts in your hand? They need to go IN the car.

She should purr like a kitten now!
Catalytic converter/ O2 sensor took a dump on me yesterday. Sounds like a truck when I fire it up but taking it to a shop tomorrow as I probably will need a new sensor/gasket.

Spoke too soon and am very annoyed. It did purr like a kitten. Shifted like a well oiled gun. Wife is not amused.

I've been getting super into watch collecting/horology, but don't have the capital to get into luxury brands just yet. Just got a Cartier Tank for my wedding as a milestone + job out of residency. But def want to get a spring drive grand seiko or JLC eventually. Also a moonwatch. VC or patek would be nice but that's fantasy land lol.

Forget rolex and their AD games, a legit dealer in china can get you a rep that is 100% indistinguishable from a real one if you really want one.

I wear my CasiOak G shock to the office

I've been getting super into watch collecting/horology, but don't have the capital to get into luxury brands just yet. Just got a Cartier Tank for my wedding as a milestone + job out of residency. But def want to get a spring drive grand seiko or JLC eventually. Also a moonwatch. VC or patek would be nice but that's fantasy land lol.

Forget rolex and their AD games, a legit dealer in china can get you a rep that is 100% indistinguishable from a real one if you really want one.

I wear my CasiOak G shock to the office
Why would anyone want a fake Rolex? I don’t buy a watch for prestige, I buy it for the quality and mechanics. Those who buy fake watches are simply doing it to impress others.

Good luck with the JLC or PP. The Omega moonwatch is a classic, but doesn’t do it for me. A few years ago I almost bought the Omega dark side of the moon, put changed my mind.

I do not buy watches as investments, I buy them to enjoy and appreciate. But Omega does not hold ii’s value well when compared to other brands.

One of my favorite watches that I own, which has great quality, fit, finish and heritage is IWC. And it’s probably the best with accuracy of all my mechanical watches.

Why would anyone want a fake Rolex? I don’t buy a watch for prestige, I buy it for the quality and mechanics. Those who buy fake watches are simply doing it to impress others.

Good luck with the JLC or PP. The Omega moonwatch is a classic, but doesn’t do it for me. A few years ago I almost bought the Omega dark side of the moon, put changed my mind.

I do not buy watches as investments, I buy them to enjoy and appreciate. But Omega does not hold ii’s value well when compared to other brands.

One of my favorite watches that I own, which has great quality, fit, finish and heritage is IWC. And it’s probably the best with accuracy of all my mechanical watches.
I personally don't do fakes either, I know many friends that do though. The only Rolex I really do want is the lefty GMT (very unpopular opinion, I know), but since I'm a lefty and wear watches on my right wrist it's now my grail lol. The Tudor Pelagos LHD is too chunky for me..hopefully they come out with a Pelagos 39mm LHD

I don't believe watches should be bought as investments, if you truly want a return on your money you might as well put it into stocks, real estate, crypto, etc. I'm a huge space nerd, and so the moonwatch is def something I want to own someday.

I'm not too big on field/flieger watches, but have respect for IWC's history

I personally don't do fakes either, I know many friends that do though. The only Rolex I really do want is the lefty GMT (very unpopular opinion, I know), but since I'm a lefty and wear watches on my right wrist it's now my grail lol. The Tudor Pelagos LHD is too chunky for me..hopefully they come out with a Pelagos 39mm LHD

I don't believe watches should be bought as investments, if you truly want a return on your money you might as well put it into stocks, real estate, crypto, etc. I'm a huge space nerd, and so the moonwatch is def something I want to own someday.

I'm not too big on field/flieger watches, but have respect for IWC's history
Good luck trying to get a lefty GMT. They are popular due to the rarity. Some of the IWC pilot watches and chronographs have the most amazing blue dials in the industry. There are lots of blue dials, but their blue knocks it out of the park.

Mostly spend free time trying to get my cat to come out of hiding. Otherwise I ride my onewheel to work every Friday, and take my jetsurf out when I get caught up on notes (not often enough). And I like to eat.

Attachments

• Onewheel.JPG
    Onewheel.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 62
  • jetsurf.JPG
    jetsurf.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5168.JPG
    IMG_5168.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Love
Wait, they make left-handed and right-handed watches?

• Haha
Wait, they make left-handed and right-handed watches?
lefties are forever overlooked..I remember during residency there were a handful of attendings who tried to "retrain" me to force me to suture right handed "the correct way". I said hell nah

Truck camping, snowboarding, hiking, sleeping, craft cocktails, anything not podiatry.

• Love
Macallan, Glenmorangie, Aberlour, Balvenie for those chilly nights in the backyard in front of the fire pit/solo stove. After a day of biking early, working all day and then hitting the gym.

• Love
I like to smoke cigars and drink bourbon. Back when I was an associate in private practice my combo was Dutch Masters with some Evan Williams Black Label. These days I prefer going for an Opus X with a splash of Pappy.

• Love
Tropical fruit green tea with crystal pearl boba.

Sometimes I switch it up to passion fruit yakult if I'm feeling a bit wild.

• Love
Looking forward to the new God of War game coming out. Video games have and will always be a part of my life and way to escape. Even after 1 kid, I still try make time for them when I get some free time. I don't play as much as a want, but some is better than none

I can't wait to retire in 30 years so I can play more

• Love
Looking forward to the new God of War game coming out. Video games have and will always be a part of my life and way to escape. Even after 1 kid, I still try make time for them when I get some free time. I don't play as much as a want, but some is better than none

1664978752361.gif

I make podiatry memes.

• Haha
I like to smoke cigars and drink bourbon. Back when I was an associate in private practice my combo was Dutch Masters with some Evan Williams Black Label. These days I prefer going for an Opus X with a splash of Pappy.
Remus Gatsby Reserve and Hardin's Creek Jacobs well in the mail on the way to my house....

Playing call of duty WW2 campaign. Haven’t played in years, but it’s been a great way to relax after everyone is sleeping.

I still consistently play BF4, world of warships, BF1.
Dropped the car off for an oil change and the guy servicing my car also owns a Civic Type R.
Felt good knowing he was going to take good care of it and not just stuffing it into one of the express lifts.
Considered doing the oil myself but not enough down time.

We have a small farm. We have poultry, an expanding apiary and I specialize in flowers for cutting. Oh, and weapons… we like things that go “boom!”. Lots of outdoor time and vacations.

• Love