What do you guys call this instrument?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IJL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in a surgical field per se, but use this retractor frequently. Every tech we have calls it something different. Just curious what other people call it. Just a Senn retractor?

l22-8360.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a number seven back scratcher

Reactions: 13 users
It’s a senn. I’ve always called bigger clawed retractors rakes. This is more like a bent fork than a rake. It would take you all day to clean your lawn with that.

I have, on occasion, called it “that,” or “you know what I want.”

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks.

You would have thought I was crazy for calling it a Senn.

I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.

Hard to know wtf to call it

Thanks.

I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.

A Senn. It’s called a Senn.

Only ever heard it called a pointy dick rake

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks.

That's a lot of names. A rake and a three prong are both different instruments where I'm at, and are different from Senns. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard some folks call it a cat's paw. That's one too many syllables for me though when all I want is "that".

I have never called it nor used it. However, the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery defines it al Kilner.
Oxford.jpg
Oxford.jpg

I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.

For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".

I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.

For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
You mean like a pean versus sarot?

Interesting. I think what you’re referring to was called a Vanderbilt where I did residency. Which was in Tennessee. No one had any idea what I was asking for when I went to Fellowship in New York.

That was called a Kelly everywhere I’ve been. Including NJ (as far northeast as I’ve worked).

We called them Curved 6s or Curved 8s in residency. Where I am now, the techs are like "huh? you mean a Kelly or a Pean?" if I ask for a curved 6 or 8.

Never heard them called either of those names. Kelly or Pean for me.

Kelly, mayo, pean, sarot in order of increasing size/length is how I refer to them. So Kelly would be smaller than the Rochester which I think is equivalent to a pean.
To me, a Kelly has a blunter, more snub tip. A Vanderbilt is longer and has a finer tip.

Yeah the surgeons where I was would just say a fine or blunt Kelly lol. The size was just normal Kelly or big Kelly. The clamp I’ve always heard called a mayo is different than a Kelly. It has a bigger curve and kind of looks like someone giving air quotes. It’s a vessel clamp. Sort of like a debakey but with an exaggerated curve.

Yeah the surgeons where I was would just say a fine or blunt Kelly lol. The size was just normal Kelly or big Kelly. The clamp I’ve always heard called a mayo is different than a Kelly. It has a bigger curve and kind of looks like someone giving air quotes. It’s a vessel clamp. Sort of like a debakey but with an exaggerated curve.

I think I’d call that a curved Cooley.

I almost never use names anymore. I say clamp and hope the tech has been paying attention to the case and gives me an appropriate size (during an inguinal hernia on the external oblique aponeurosis I need smaller ones than during high ligation of the sac, meanwhile when clamping mesentery a skinny kid needs a smaller clamp than a fat adult). But for stretching my port for gallbladder removal I simply ask for a "big ass clamp" and if I get anything smaller than a pean I express my disappointment in what they consider big.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting. I think what you’re referring to was called a Vanderbilt where I did residency. Which was in Tennessee. No one had any idea what I was asking for when I went to Fellowship in New York.
What you call a Vanderbilt we only knew as a tonsil where I trained. In medical school it was a Sarot.

What 99% of people would call a Kocher, we'd call an Ochsner. I think each place just needs their own instrument.

Kelly, mayo, pean, sarot in order of increasing size/length is how I refer to them. So Kelly would be smaller than the Rochester which I think is equivalent to a pean.
I take it back. I found something called a Rochester pean which made me think what I call a pean is that but apparently it is different than just a regular pean and is what I think of as a sarot (which is probably not actually what other people would call a sarot as the pics i was finding show a thinner and shorter tip that what I think of). And I can't find a pic with all of them together to post here