what do you do when the chief dermatologist....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who you will be doing a clinical research elective for 6 months tells you that 80% of your time will be doing clinical research, and 20% of the time will be on the wards with her?

I guess the real issue is that she asked me to design my own curriculum and then mail it to her, I have no idea what this means but would appreciate any type of advice!

Izzy:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Who you will be doing a clinical research elective for 6 months tells you that 80% of your time will be doing clinical research, and 20% of the time will be on the wards with her?

I guess the real issue is that she asked me to design my own curriculum and then mail it to her, I have no idea what this means but would appreciate any type of advice!

Izzy:eek:

Sounds more like she only wants to see you about once a week, and the rest of the time your off on your own to do your own thing. I really have no idea what it means ether, but I'd try to go to all the grand rounds, resident didactics, and derm path sign outs to try to get to know people and learn as much derm as i could.

Is she hot?
Spoken like a true officer and a gentleman.;)

Sounds more like she only wants to see you about once a week, and the rest of the time your off on your own to do your own thing. I really have no idea what it means ether, but I'd try to go to all the grand rounds, resident didactics, and derm path sign outs to try to get to know people and learn as much derm as i could.

Spoken like a true officer and a gentleman.;)

i would like to introduce myself to the chair. what do i say to him??? should i bring him a CV? i am presently a third year. will he ask me why i am interested in derm?? do i need to have anything formally prepared?

how are ppl able to go to grand rounds and resident didactics? i am always stuck at every rotation during those hours and without any days off from my previous rotation and this one as well. not sure how other ppl are able to make it!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would like to introduce myself to the chair. what do i say to him??? should i bring him a CV? i am presently a third year. will he ask me why i am interested in derm?? do i need to have anything formally prepared?

how are ppl able to go to grand rounds and resident didactics? i am always stuck at every rotation during those hours and without any days off from my previous rotation and this one as well. not sure how other ppl are able to make it!

Goodies you haven't introduced yourself to the chair yet? You need to contact this guy asap. You should've contacted him the moment you were sure you wanted derm. This game is very political, and you need to play to win.

Maybe you could email him and let him know your interest and if he could point you out to any mentors or research projects. Yes he will mostly likely ask why the interest in derm and be ready with a good answer that doesn't include cosmetics (pretty much 4 letter word at most programs). Yeah being prepared with a CV might be a good idea, not sure if he'll ask for it at that time. Nothing formally prepared but I would recommend reading up on his and others in the departments research so your are knowledge able on the direction the derpartment is heading.

As for how others are able to make it to grand rounds and lectures, I'm not sure I was always stuch on other rotations myself and only attended when I was on a derm rotation or research block. But I always seen others find a way and it seemed that smoozing didn't hurt.

I would try for 30/70 clinical and research respectively. If your research is bench work...that could be huge as most med students do not have bench work experience! I was told that it's important to be published especially when you're planning to do competitive fields (ie. derm). I know my finace actually was doing clinical projects after projects in order to be more competitive ortho. Derm is definitely very competitive (in fact, according to some more competitive than ortho) and good research projects w/ publications can be your added bonus as everyone applying to derm has good board scores and sit at the top of the class.

Don't forget you will have plenty of chances to do derm clinics...in fact for 4 years in residency. You can always take an additional derm away electives. Don't give up on research opportunities! I love derm clinic and I love having the oportunity to analyze skin lesions ( i mean what's hotter than if you can distinguish b/t erythema nodosum vs. Sweet's syndrome), but being a clinican scholar is very important. Remember, the SKIN is probably the biggest "organ" in our body!! Lots of new things to be learned!\

Best of luck!

how does one design his/her own curriculum

:eek: