What do we do during COT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been accepted to the Air Force HPSP and this summer I'm doing the certified officers training in Alabama. I don't really know much about what this entitles. Does anyone have any insight on what all you do during officers training. I know its a bunch of leadership classes. Do we learn how to shoot M-16's and all that fun stuff too? They won't wake me up at 3am with a fog horn in my ear and tell me to roll around in the mud will they?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! I'm thinking of applying to the USAF program. Has any medical student ever failed COT? If so, what happens? Another remote possibility I wonder about - if a student is for any reason (illness, grades) unable to complete med school, what is owed the USAF - service (as what?) or repayment? It does sound like a great deal but I'm looking for any gotchas.

No shooting at COT, although I know they do at OBC. My bro is army hpsp, i'm air force, and I'm going to Alabama too this summer. Pt and leadership, I think. Anyone been there, done that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alikia said:
No shooting at COT, although I know they do at OBC. My bro is army hpsp, i'm air force, and I'm going to Alabama too this summer. Pt and leadership, I think. Anyone been there, done that?

each services is quite different. The Navy is probably the most rigerous, the army is probably the most educational. The air force is in the middle, but it's also in a ****hole....errr I mean alabama in the summer.

aegis said:
I've just been accepted to the Air Force HPSP and this summer I'm doing the certified officers training in Alabama. I don't really know much about what this entitles. Does anyone have any insight on what all you do during officers training. I know its a bunch of leadership classes. Do we learn how to shoot M-16's and all that fun stuff too? They won't wake me up at 3am with a fog horn in my ear and tell me to roll around in the mud will they?

http://ots.afoats.af.mil/23ts/index.html

ameier14 said:

I will also be there this summer....I am pretty sure I will be on the 05-05 class (1June-30June) bc this is the only one they offer for HPSP that I will not be in school for.

I would definately like to keep in touch with anyone who is going to be in this class...it would be nice to have some basic knowledge of some of my flight before I go. What date do you guys all expect to be going?

You may want to hang out on the board: Airforce OTS There is a lot of general information on OTS on these boards and some on COT (and some will apply to both). These forums are new, as their site crashed a few months ago, but the amount of info on there is quickly increasing.

I'll be there in June too.

July-August for me.

COT is a great experience. I can address some of your questions...

Last summer (class 04-06), we did not get to shoot, and although everyone wanted to, I don't think they have amended the curriculum. The bright side of that is, you will get to go home a few days early while your JAG buddies stick around in boring Alabama.

You will get to participate in various classroom, field training, and pt exercises. A typical day consists of you waking up at 0430, pt at 0500, classroom and field activities from 0700-1730, and then the rest of the time to take care of things like homework, uniform issues, etc. After the first week, you are granted liberty leave base any day after the training day is over. Weekends are free.

The PT is easy to handle if you are in good shape, but the summer weather in Alabama is very hot and humid, so keep hydrated. The most we ran was 3 miles with the BOT students one day. Most of us did extra PT on the weekends and such

You don't know your flight assignments until the first day (TD 0). Unfortunately, you will not socialize much outside your flight.

Noone really fails COT. Some people dropped out due to medical or other reasons, but that was like 10 people in a 300 person class. The only way you can be considered 'incomplete' is if you fail the examinations (CWTs they are called. If you fail the first two they make you take a composite. Usually not a concern for medical officers, but if you do fail, even then they dont make you repeat it, it just goes on your record.

Arrive motivated, stay positive, and follow the lead of the prior service attendees since they will keep you out of trouble. It goes by very fast (maybe a little too fast if you're having fun).

-Lt.

I'm a second year dental student thinking strongly about the Air Force HPSP. But I have once major major question. I know that COT is around 4 weeks long and there are different dates thoughout the year, however for the remaining three years my school has classes stright through with no summer break. Therefore no time for COT, is it possible to delay the COT until after I graduate? And if so, would I still be able to redeem all of the benifits while in school? (I ask that last question because I know that the ARNG, you don't get benifits until AFTER you take their OBC)

Any help would be greatly helpful. Thank you.