what do u think about this.... suggestions are welcomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medscholhopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been admitted into case western reserve university for their special masters in applied anatomy... really pumped although no one one here seems to be going there but anyways, my problem is that i am trying to get as much clinical experience as possible so i have opted to do a CNA course or an EMT- basic, not sure which one yet as they both offer patient contact.

sorry for the long post, stuff just kept popping in my head so i figured i'll provide you with a little background info on me. i am a BIOLOGY grad 04, cumulative GPA 2.65 and science 2.30... i know but there is a good expanation for it, i have worked as a med tech/lab assistant for the past 3yrs and have learnt a lot on the job. Matured a great deal over the yrs.I am also involved actively in a non profit organization promoting social and economic development.

This is my plan so far

I start my program this fall 07 and intend on finishing it up fall 08 (1 1/2 yrs). i am also going to volunteer at a hospital once i am relocated to cleveland, and since i have interests in human right/civil issues, i have contacted few non profit agencies to volunteer also.

Since i am going part time in my masters program, and can afford not to work at least till the end of this year, i am planning on taking the kaplan course(been out of school for too long) so i can take the MCAT early next year and apply to get admitted in 2009

By then, i should be done with the EMT or CNA program so i can work part time in that field. So after everything is said and done, i should have enough patient contact and if i do well in my program and the MCAT... which i intend to do even if it kills me, then i think i may have a chance of getting in.

Is there anything that any one of you can recommend to make my application even stronger. I understand my GPA could hold me back but at least i am trying to enhace it with this program,(and yes i understand masters will not change my undergrad GPA but it was the best for me, since i was a bio major, i had taken the prereq and upper level courses, so i think this is the best option for me because i will be taking 1st year med school courses and that by far is more challenging than undergrad work) but aside from that any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck to all.

Sorry for the double post on nontrad forum but since you guys have been thorought the process, you may be able to offer me some valuable advice from a different perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

I am familiar with the Case anatomy program, and I want to give you a heads up... this master's is HARD. It is at least as hard as med school. It's designed to be, so that students have a chance to prove they can hack it. Graduates of this program generally sail through the first two years of med school and are frequently called to tutor their classmates.

With that said-I've heard it straight from the prof's mouths-everybody who gets A's in this program gets accepted to Case, if that is what they choose. Your teachers are going to be extremely supportive of you, and you'll probably want to get your LORs from Case-because your profs also teach the med students. In fact, you'll see quite a few med students in your classes.

So if I were you, I'd worry a little less about volunteering and MCATs and a little more about giving your classes everything you've got. You've been handed your ticket to med school-don't waste it. Don't bother with EMT/CNA stuff. Just pick up some hours at the Free Clinic (conveniently located near Case) and you're golden.

sweet !!! finally someone knows something about the program. Thanks for the review, the Dean told me the same thing as the program being very demanding and since i have a light courseload, i was just trying to take advantage of doing a few things before my load gets heavier as i get deeper into the program. With that being said the program is my top priority and i intend to smash it. Once again thanks for your input.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So i have been admitted into case western reserve university for their special masters in applied anatomy... really pumped although no one one here seems to be going there but anyways, my problem is that i am trying to get as much clinical experience as possible so i have opted to do a CNA course or an EMT- basic, not sure which one yet as they both offer patient contact.

sorry for the long post, stuff just kept popping in my head so i figured i'll provide you with a little background info on me. i am a BIOLOGY grad 04, cumulative GPA 2.65 and science 2.30... i know but there is a good expanation for it, i have worked as a med tech/lab assistant for the past 3yrs and have learnt a lot on the job. Matured a great deal over the yrs.I am also involved actively in a non profit organization promoting social and economic development.

This is my plan so far

I start my program this fall 07 and intend on finishing it up fall 08 (1 1/2 yrs). i am also going to volunteer at a hospital once i am relocated to cleveland, and since i have interests in human right/civil issues, i have contacted few non profit agencies to volunteer also.

Since i am going part time in my masters program, and can afford not to work at least till the end of this year, i am planning on taking the kaplan course(been out of school for too long) so i can take the MCAT early next year and apply to get admitted in 2009

By then, i should be done with the EMT or CNA program so i can work part time in that field. So after everything is said and done, i should have enough patient contact and if i do well in my program and the MCAT... which i intend to do even if it kills me, then i think i may have a chance of getting in.

Is there anything that any one of you can recommend to make my application even stronger. I understand my GPA could hold me back but at least i am trying to enhace it with this program,(and yes i understand masters will not change my undergrad GPA but it was the best for me, since i was a bio major, i had taken the prereq and upper level courses, so i think this is the best option for me because i will be taking 1st year med school courses and that by far is more challenging than undergrad work) but aside from that any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck to all.

Sorry for the double post on nontrad forum but since you guys have been thorought the process, you may be able to offer me some valuable advice from a different perspective.

Im surprised you were able to get in with such a low science GPA. I have been lookingg for a program also. Although my post bac GPA is 3.7 due to my undergraduate years my cumulative is 2.75. Maybe I should apply to this program.

Good Luck!

khanoom, i think you should... i was pleasantly suprised myself. I had applied to this one just for the hell of it cos i was running out of SMPs to apply too. I called the dean mr miller- very nice man to speak with, i explained my circumstances to him and STILL enouraged me to apply sooo i thought to myself if the dean wants me to apply then heck i probably should so i did and got in. But i think a lot had to do with my Personal statement.... was very intense and my record was kind of zig zag, i started off strong and then went downhill and then went back up. This was largely to stress of readjusting in a new country, homelessness, constantly working 2jobs, amomgsts other... so while i was careful not to dwell on these things it kinda gave me a strong backdrop as to the level my determination.... life lessons u know. My PS coupled with strong rec letters probably played a role. whatever their reasoning i am glad i got in , am definately going to kill it........

khanoom, i think you should... i was pleasantly suprised myself. I had applied to this one just for the hell of it cos i was running out of SMPs to apply too. I called the dean mr miller- very nice man to speak with, i explained my circumstances to him and STILL enouraged me to apply sooo i thought to myself if the dean wants me to apply then heck i probably should so i did and got in. But i think a lot had to do with my Personal statement.... was very intense and my record was kind of zig zag, i started off strong and then went downhill and then went back up. This was largely to stress of readjusting in a new country, homelessness, constantly working 2jobs, amomgsts other... so while i was careful not to dwell on these things it kinda gave me a strong backdrop as to the level my determination.... life lessons u know. My PS coupled with strong rec letters probably played a role. whatever their reasoning i am glad i got in , am definately going to kill it........

Thats my story too .I immigrated here with my little sister at 15 years . I had some emotional problems because of that. I started well in college then went very downhill junior year.I left college and worked in health care for 10years then I transferred to another school 10 years later and graduated with 3.7. But my over all is still very low.

Can I email you or something I could really use some advice on how to go about this. My email is [email protected].
I dont think my PS was so good, Im generally not good at this kinda stuff.
Although I have great recc letters not to mention a kick ass resume.