What do interviews really mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they really mean you have a shot or that you made their technical minimum requirement, but there is no real chance? Have you ever wondered if those that got interviews but weren't accepted actually lost out due to a poor first impression? Anyone who has gone thru this care to pipe in? God, I love to stir the pot... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly feel that anyone who grants you an interview is considering you -these schools don't really want to waste their own time. You may be granted an interview with extremely poor GPA and DAT, but then they meet you and see what an incredible person you are - maybe you'll get accepted!

Mithridates said:
I honestly feel that anyone who grants you an interview is considering you -these schools don't really want to waste their own time. You may be granted an interview with extremely poor GPA and DAT, but then they meet you and see what an incredible person you are - maybe you'll get accepted!

I agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering this also...does anyone know how many people the schools normally interview versus how many they take? For example...do they interview 300 people for 90 spots? How do you make yourself standout with average stats?

ATX04UT said:
I was wondering this also...does anyone know how many people the schools normally interview versus how many they take? For example...do they interview 300 people for 90 spots? How do you make yourself standout with average stats?

This varies greatly by school and is dependent on a few factors....
I know at tufts, almooooost everyone who interviews gets in. This is because they weed out the majority of people after the secondary application, and then only interview people they are fairly certain they want at their school. Other schools interview many people and only intend on letting about half in. Hope that helps
littled

LITTLED said:
This varies greatly by school and is dependent on a few factors....
I know at tufts, almooooost everyone who interviews gets in. This is because they weed out the majority of people after the secondary application, and then only interview people they are fairly certain they want at their school. Other schools interview many people and only intend on letting about half in. Hope that helps
littled

secondary application from tufts? ooopps....

Being interviewed or getting an invite to an interview is in means a guarantee to get in... it's something about your application... eg GPA, DAT, extracurr act, dental experience... anything that shows potential... that they may want to explore deeper.. meet you in person... to see if you're the real deal... on our side of things.. its our opportunity to get our foot in the door and be heard for our five minutes... to shine and show them that we are what they want... believe it or not... not all are very good interviewees... there's a right way and wrong way to answer things... believe it or not... ppl fudge the interviews up... so don't take it likely... when you get an interview invite.... treat it wisely and make sure you do your preps... because it's not automatic...

Rezdawg said:
secondary application from tufts? ooopps....
"Tufts does not require a supplemental application. Applicants will be informed of supplemental requirements once the Admissions Office receives their applications." -- from Tufts website.

does that mean that everyone who is invited to be interviewed has an equal chance of getting in from that point, depending on how the interview goes? Or does one's gpa and DAT score increase the candidate's chances of getting in, more than another candidate who also got an interview but has a lower gpa and DAT?

LadyxJC said:
does that mean that everyone who is invited to be interviewed has an equal chance of getting in from that point, depending on how the interview goes? Or does one's gpa and DAT score increase the candidate's chances of getting in, more than another candidate who also got an interview but has a lower gpa and DAT?

I would imagine that it all depends on the school and how they approach their admissions process. I have heard that some schools give all candidates an equal chance and that the interview is then really crucial, while I am sure others, upon reviewing the interview feedback and impressions, factor gpa's, DAT scores and what not into the final decision. Regardless of a school's modus operandi an invitation should be taken very seriously as it means that the school is seriously interested in you - and who knows - you just might knock their socks off to the point that they decide they really want you regardless of how your DAT score compares to the other person.

As others have noted, your chances of being accepted,once granted an interview, will vary (I estimate 50% to 95% depending on the school). So at some schools an acceptance will be yours to win and at other schools yours to loose.

Mithridates said:
I honestly feel that anyone who grants you an interview is considering you -these schools don't really want to waste their own time.

Absolutely correct. If you are at an interview then you DO have a nice shot at getting in.

And, I'm sure that plenty of people have lost an acceptance due to poor first impressions. I interviewed a guy last year that looked like a perfect match on paper--excellent grades, DAT, service experience, leadership, etc. He even had a really intriguing life story. What wasn't listed on his application was his ridiculous attitude that made me want to leave the room after 2-3 minutes. I have no doubt that he shot himself in the foot.

ItsGavinC, were you a student interviewer? If so, that means you've obviously played a role in the committee process.. is it a fair assessment that so long as the kid getting the interview is nice and normal, and there are spots available, the acceptance generally follows?