What do I need to do to improve my chances/what are current chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tg375

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chemical engineering major at UT Austin (ranked top 5 in country for ChemE) and my current GPA is 3.28 (a few bad grades in two ChemE classes and Diff EQ bringing it down the most) with a trend that started off well, decreased towards the middle, and is increasing again towards the end. I have yet to take the MCAT as I will be taking it early next spring. I will likely graduate a semester late (4.5 years due to getting behind on a couple engineering classes).
I (will) have about 150 shadowing hours from approximately 10 different specialties including watching surgeries (Open heart was the coolest) and approximately 200-250 volunteer hours split between clinical and non-clinical hours.

What are my current chances assuming an above average MCAT? What could I do to improve my application (besides a great MCAT, obviously.)

If there is anything else I can provide for y'all to give a better response, just let me know.

**Edit** As seen in my post below (#7), my sGPA without +- is a 3.39. This excludes engineering classes and DiffEQ but counts statistics(not sure if that is supposed to count) **

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Fellow ChemE major from the lone star state here.

Frankly, and without an MCAT score, I'd say you currently have average to below average chances with a 3.28 GPA. A solid MCAT score is a very important at this point to get more eyes on your application.

As for advice on what you can do now:

1) Continue volunteering to establish long-term relationships with providers who can write you amazing LoRs
2) Finish out your classes strong
3) It's way too early to start writing a physical personal statement now, but begin to draft a story of "why medicine and not engineering" in your head. Lord knows I got asked about it in every interview I attended. Your answer should be complete, compelling, and non-cliche.

I am a chemical engineering major at UT Austin (ranked top 5 in country for ChemE) and my current GPA is 3.28 (a few bad grades in two ChemE classes and Diff EQ bringing it down the most) with a trend that started off well, decreased towards the middle, and is increasing again towards the end. I have yet to take the MCAT as I will be taking it early next spring. I will likely graduate a semester late (4.5 years due to getting behind on a couple engineering classes).
I (will) have about 150 shadowing hours from approximately 10 different specialties including watching surgeries (Open heart was the coolest) and approximately 200-250 volunteer hours split between clinical and non-clinical hours.

What are my current chances assuming an above average MCAT? What could I do to improve my application (besides a great MCAT, obviously.)

If there is anything else I can provide for y'all to give a better response, just let me know.

Thanks all
I have no advice, only to say I have high respect for a 3.28 in an engineering major. Engineering majors have the toughest road for grades. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
you may want to switch majors. Otherwise, kill the MCAT to mitigate the low GPA.

Hiya,

Fellow ChemE major from the lone star state here.

Frankly, and without an MCAT score, I'd say you currently have average to below average chances with a 3.28 GPA. A solid MCAT score is a very important at this point to get more eyes on your application.

As for advice on what you can do now:

1) Continue volunteering to establish long-term relationships with providers who can write you amazing LoRs
2) Finish out your classes strong
3) It's way too early to start writing a physical personal statement now, but begin to draft a story of "why medicine and not engineering" in your head. Lord knows I got asked about it in every interview I attended. Your answer should be complete, compelling, and non-cliche.

That you for the response. I think my GPA can/should finish around like 3.4 by the time I apply. This would include ~3.7 last 3 semesters before applying.

From whom should I request LoR? I was thinking a doctor or two that I shadowed and a professor that taught my biochemical engineering class (if he’d be willing, he’s quite busy)

From your experience, what MCAT score would be required to overcome the low GPA? I am assuming something like 90+ percentile would be necessary.

Thanks again

Thanks all
Chances poor with that GPA for M.D., OK for DO.

Engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Also, just calculated my sGPA (not including engineering classes or DiffEQ (should i count this??) but counting engineering statistics) = 3.31 using the +- scale but re-scaling it to just A,B,C,ect it is a 3.39. Many Texas medical schools re-scale it to take out the +- grading. I will be taking 16 hours next semester + 16-20 the semester before applying also so room to improve I would hope.

**I will add this information to the main post at the top**