What do I do with 6 months off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EJS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 6 months off between my dec graduation date and the likely start of my residency (hopefully peds) next july. What should I do??????

Members don't see this ad.

you'll be extremely overworked during your intern year in peds...so now is the time to relax. Seriously. I would recommend doing your 6 mo's off: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING STRESSFUL.

Travel as much as you can [afford...].

Read NON-med school books, if reading is your thing....if not catch up on all the movies you WANTED to watch but missed from blockbuster. You'll be engrossed in Nelson's from July on, so don't worry about that.

but really, just have fun. don't worry to much. go to interviews, match, CELEBRATE, and the celebrate some more.

come july 1, you'll be a rested MD ready to start.

SO, all in conclusion, to answer your question, just follow the below prescription:

Rx: XALER 1g
sig: as many as you can PO, IM, IV, hell even PR
disp: Unlimited amount, with infinite refills

-------- by the way, XALER........... you say?

(read backwards...)

Go backpacking around Europe for 3-4 months. This may be your last chance to do so, before getting on the career rollercoaster.

go to central america and learn spanish, learn how to surf. Spanish is tool that saves you and everyone around you precious time and your patients trust you more. I cannot overstate how much this has made my life easier. Spanish school are the best way to go with a one on one teacher. live close to a beach and go surfing and eat good food drink beer and relax.

Sounds like we are in the same position. I graduate in Dec too and plan on applying to peds residencies for the upcoming year. I have very little left of my med school requirements so i'm finishing my MPH. Also just using the time to spend with my son. I already know spanish but I think that is definitely a good suggestion! It's helped a great deal on clinical rotations and my attendings REALLY appreciated it. Are you worried about forgeting things before the start of residency? I am!

EJS said:
I have 6 months off between my dec graduation date and the likely start of my residency (hopefully peds) next july. What should I do??????

Travel the world...

Jaded Soul said:
Travel the world...

I will also finish in December. Also worried about forgetting how to manage a patient from start to finish!

Swaydaa said:
I will also finish in December. Also worried about forgetting how to manage a patient from start to finish!

Don't worry about it. You are a fourth year medical student. It isn't like you know how to manage a pt from "start to finish" as it stands now. :D

lawmd said:
go to central america and learn spanish, learn how to surf. Spanish is tool that saves you and everyone around you precious time and your patients trust you more. I cannot overstate how much this has made my life easier. Spanish school are the best way to go with a one on one teacher. live close to a beach and go surfing and eat good food drink beer and relax.

That is a fantastic idea & I have seriously been thinking of a similar thing. I was thinking of spanish school in Barcelona or Ibiza, but central america sounds nice too. Is Spanish essential in California & Florida or just useful. What about New York, would spanish be useful there?
Are there hospital interpreters for residents who don't speak spanish?

There are some pretty inexpensive Spanish schools in central and south America. They typically offer one to one teaching, and the learning curve is quite rapid, if you stay in the country for a significant period of time and you stay away from other English speaking gringos.

I am in North Carolina and I use it with 4-5 patients every day. It is beyong helpful. Yes most hospitals will have interpreters. Even though I can get by pretty well, I still use the interpreter to get the History, for medicolegal reasons, especially if they are sick. I can then go back and ask additional questions, explain things myself without the interpreter. The interpreter has to translate the discharge instructions and write them out.

As far as forgetting things. If you go to central america, maybe you can find a little clinic to volunteer in and learn medical spanish ast the same time. Maybe just take a copy of ACLS, ATLS, or PALS with you. That way you can be learning something and will have to take the course once you start residency anyways. get one of the "Secrets" series books and read it. Just doa little medical reading everday or every week to keep your mind fresh.

Lets see:

1. Get a Job.
2. Do nothing.
3. Go on vacation.
4. Study.
5. Any of the above combination.

I think that about covers it. :D :D :D

Good Luck.
EH.

Retinamark said:
Is Spanish essential in California & Florida or just useful. What about New York, would spanish be useful there?
Are there hospital interpreters for residents who don't speak spanish?

Can't speak for all of California or the other states, but it is essential in Los Angeles. I've been in clinics where all the patients only speak Spanish.

As for interpreters in the hospitals, you can usually get help from the nurses.

"backpack in europe"??? whatever dude. That was great the summer after high school. Now you're older and wiser... you need to take it to the next level of idle recreation....

Move to lake tahoe, get a job as a bartender. Snow ski during the day, and water ski when the snow lets up in spring. Meet lots of young women. Bask in the twilight of your youth.

Oh, and sleep in as much as possible. When you do get up, watch a little mtv as you munch down some captain crunch and drink mountain dew. Do not get dressed before noon though, or very bad things will start happening...

Do this, and you will be a happy little peds intern next year...

Celiac Plexus said:
Move to lake tahoe, get a job as a bartender. Snow ski during the day, and water ski when the snow lets up in spring. Meet lots of young women. Bask in the twilight of your youth.

Oh, and sleep in as much as possible. When you do get up, watch a little mtv as you munch down some captain crunch and drink mountain dew. Do not get dressed before noon though, or very bad things will start happening...

:thumbup:
ummmm....ski bum! i want to be one.

have a lot of sex, because you will be working your pecker off come july

How the heck did you swing that one???

I'm green.

If you have to ask that question, you've got issues. Do everything, do nothing. DO what you love, no do what you don't for a change. Travel, no stay at home. Hey, travel at home.

Whatever - just something as nonmedical as you can possibly make it. Have some fun for us!

Cheers!

I spent the last 6 months of my 4th year researching home prices in my top three cities - rates, realtors, and prices. Believe me, a few hours a week making phone calls and getting pre-approved for a home purchase will save you months of aggravation and make you thousands of dollars during residency... Oh, I also drank my face off, had crazy sex, and partied.