What differences between pathololgist and medical laboratory professions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zs19820414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
medical laboratory professions - medical technologists, cytotechnologists, histotechnologists/histologic technicians, and medical laboratory technicians study in medical school?
do they have a degree of medicine? master degree or others?

Members don't see this ad.

zs19820414 said:
medical laboratory professions - medical technologists, cytotechnologists, histotechnologists/histologic technicians, and medical laboratory technicians study in medical school?

They don't have an MD nor a master's typically. I think you can do a short certification program for some.

stormjen said:
They don't have an MD nor a master's typically. I think you can do a short certification program for some.

Interesting there is a subset of techs who transition into med school and become pathologists...might be something to check out to see if the glove fits sort of speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med Tech - 4 yr degree
MLT - 2 year degree
Cytotech - 4 yr degree
Histotechnician - can train on the job and take certifying exam after one year experience or can do a 1 or 2 year program depending on the school
Histotechnologist - 4 year degree

in a word , pathologist is doctor for subsep .
others are not,is it right?

LADoc00 said:
Interesting there is a subset of techs who transition into med school and become pathologists...might be something to check out to see if the glove fits sort of speak.

That's why I applied to medical school--I was a med tech, then became a cytotechnologist. After about 5 years of that, I decided that I would like to become a Pathologist. So far, I haven't strayed from that (and 3 months of internal medicine and one month of surgery certainly has not changed my mind)!

zs19820414 said:

Generally, medical technologists have divided into two types..those who have bachelor's degrees and those who have associate degrees. Both need to have some time spent in an internship program before actually practicing in the lab.
cytotechnologist and histotechnologists also need at least 2 years of college, with 4 years prefered and some internship before practicing.

Histology technicians and laboratory technicians have technical school training.

Those medical technologist sthat have masters degrees or PhD's tend to be involved in Laboratory administration or heads of departments.

As for medical technologists who have gravitated to the med school....I am one...I worked for 10 years and then went back to medical school...I even decided to become a Pathologist. You might find that there is no difference between those who that and those who worked as nurse's, pharmacists or even EMT's before continuing on to medical school. Does it make med school easier?? heck NO!

DermpathDO said:
Generally, medical technologists have divided into two types..those who have bachelor's degrees and those who have associate degrees. Both need to have some time spent in an internship program before actually practicing in the lab.
cytotechnologist and histotechnologists also need at least 2 years of college, with 4 years prefered and some internship before practicing.

Histology technicians and laboratory technicians have technical school training.

Those medical technologist sthat have masters degrees or PhD's tend to be involved in Laboratory administration or heads of departments.

As for medical technologists who have gravitated to the med school....I am one...I worked for 10 years and then went back to medical school...I even decided to become a Pathologist. You might find that there is no difference between those who that and those who worked as nurse's, pharmacists or even EMT's before continuing on to medical school. Does it make med school easier?? heck NO!
so i am in medical school of department of laboratory medicine , after graduation i coming into hospital .... what am i ?
pathologist or technologist ?
i am puzzled

zs19820414 said:
so i am in medical school of department of laboratory medicine , after graduation i coming into hospital .... what am i ?
i am puzzled

indeed.

zs19820414 said:
i am puzzled
zs19820414, most of the responses you get on this message board will relate to the American system rather than the one in your country, so that might be why you are getting confused. Have you tried asking your teachers for help with your questions? If the answers are important for your future career, then they may know better than any replies we can give you here.

zs19820414 said:

Most people do not know that technician, as in "medical technician", usually refers to someone with an associates degree or other certification. A technologist is usually someone who has a four year bachelor's degree. When I trained for cytotechnology we had basic training then rotations through different lab settings, so the setup is med-school like. I am also one of these techs transitioning to med school. I am excited but I will miss my paycheck very much!
To the other techs turned MDs here, did you ever have time to work per diem during med school? The first year seems like there would be some free time.

I would very much NOT count on working during med school, although I suppose it has been done! It just seems that time outside of studying and classes would be spent on thinking about the next step, be it electives or setting up shadowing dates or even (horrors!) trying to decide what you want to be when you grow up.

deschutes said:
I would very much NOT count on working during med school, although I suppose it has been done! It just seems that time outside of studying and classes would be spent on thinking about the next step, be it electives or setting up shadowing dates or even (horrors!) trying to decide what you want to be when you grow up.

I breezed through medical school, honestly thought it was a joke. Most of the time taking three day weekends in Mexico and coming back with short term memory loss. Being a slacker I hardly envisioned doing more than a little bench research here and there, but I think one could certainly get a part time job during the preclinical years, where I thought 2nd grade was tougher. For clinical years tho, thats a horse of a different color.

deschutes said:
you can work during the first 2 years of med school. screw classes, go work in a lab or something. that's what i did.

cytotech27 said:
Most people do not know that technician, as in "medical technician", usually refers to someone with an associates degree or other certification. A technologist is usually someone who has a four year bachelor's degree. When I trained for cytotechnology we had basic training then rotations through different lab settings, so the setup is med-school like. I am also one of these techs transitioning to med school. I am excited but I will miss my paycheck very much!
To the other techs turned MDs here, did you ever have time to work per diem during med school? The first year seems like there would be some free time.
I tried working as an MT during med school, but gave it up since i had to study, in order to get decent grades. Several of my calssmates who were Histo techs and/or MT's, pharmacists did work the first two years of med school, thru necessity....kids to support. It was not easy!