what criteria do the military use for HPSP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know air force is pretty competitive. do they just base their decisions upon your stats? Is there an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

You will do an interview. It is usually over the phone. My interviewer didn't try to beat me up, he just wanted to know why I was interested in dentistry/military. You could probably interview in person at a base if there is one close. this always looks good.

your stats obviously play a role, as does everything else you have done.

You will do an interview. It is usually over the phone. My interviewer didn't try to beat me up, he just wanted to know why I was interested in dentistry/military. You could probably interview in person at a base if there is one close. this always looks good.

your stats obviously play a role, as does everything else you have done.

snozberries, thanks for your help. appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea you'll get interviewed. I was interviewed in person actually by the OIC at the recruiting office. Some of them were just basic questions...others were like weird hypothetical situations...i dont think this is normal though. I have yet to meeet another person who had to do that. But it wasn't bad. I think it was done b/c she had to submit her own recommendation to the selection board...but if you get someone good, and you carry yourself well and can show that you are serious about the military...it shouldn't be an issue. Another piece of advice..if you can get a LOR from someone in the military...particularly an officer..that'll help...at least it did for me.

Air Force will be more competitive than the other two, at this point the Army will take almost anyone who can get into dental school, but I'd stick with the Air Force if you can.

When I got my scholarship the Army gave automatic acceptance to anyone with a 3.25 (think) GPA and a 19 on the DAT.

Letters of recommendation from current officers help. If you are seriously looking into scholarships, see if the recruiter can set up a time for you to visit a clinic at a local base, then ask the staff if you can shadow somebody for a few days and see how things run day to day. Most places will do anything to help out a dental student, especially if they are a potential recruit and if you spend some time at the clinic I'm sure someone there would write a letter for you.

I did my interview in the recruiters office, but it was cake, simple questions, nothing to worry about.