What counts as medical experience/clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitvbasgims12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have done a lot of research on this to determine what counts and what doesn't for both clinical experience an so medically-related volunteering. I have seen some very mixed opinions on whether caregiving counts as clinical. I work in a nursing home alongside CNAs and we functionally do the same thing. I take vitals, I do peri care, catheter care (changing bags and emptying them), wound care, and I dress, feed, and bathe people. It has been a super rewarding experience that I have loved. I am taking a gap year and plan on becoming a CNA during that time which I know counts as clinical. Does caregiving count as clinical in this instance?

I also regularly volunteer at first aid/CPR tents. Would this count as medically-relatedness volunteering or non-medical? I have several other medical volunteering things so I am not relying on this for experience but I am wondering what to classify it as.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I also regularly volunteer at first aid/CPR tents. Would this count as medically-relatedness volunteering or non-medical? I have several other medical volunteering things so I am not relying on this for experience but I am wondering what to classify it as.

Thank you!
I do the same, this is not a unique experience, nor clinical volunteering

If you are close enough to smell a patient (and it isn't shadowing), that should count as a medical experience. Count it, OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I watch monitors and put leads on patients and it's clinical. If you are doing peri-care and all that other jazz, it's clinical for sure. No doubt, count it. Sounds like you are doing well now, maybe you don't need the CNA cert?

Based on what I observed here, nursing homes are in a gray area. Is it a skilled level nursing home or just an assisted living for seniors? To be safe, I would suggest you to try hospice or hospital. Also, in regard to CNA, it seems a bit shady to me (I am not an adcom, so I might be wrong), I mean, you may be asked why medical school if you love nursing? Physician is a different career with different skillset, so I would suggest you to do something else without intensive tactile interaction (hospice, hospital as examples).

Strongly disagree in this instance. If you need clinical experience, hands on care of the elderly and disabled is good experience. Any adult* who has a wound, a catheter or is incapable of wiping their own behind qualifies as a patient in my book when you are providing the care required due to the wound, catheter or incontinence.

Where I come down on nursing homes not being clinical is when you are playing the violin, calling bingo numbers or having a chat as a friendly visitor. That is non-clinical volunteering that is highly regarded but not clinical. Serving as a nursing assistant, patient care technician, or whatever title one has to provide intimate care is certainly clinical.

*I say adult because changing a baby's diapers is not clinical care.

Reactions: 4 users