What could I be researching now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I got a little bored and I decided to have a look at some of the interview questions from other schools. Some of the questions baffled me, and the ones that stuck out I Googled... "What are 10 things you can do with a DVM?" "What is GDV?" "Name 5 species of beef cattle." "What are some values that you are measuring when testing urine?"

I know a lot about small animal care because I had started off wanting to be a vet tech, and I know a lot about animal welfare... but where do I go from there? Where do I start?

I was thinking of starting a binder and filling it with information... if I came across something that I was unsure of, I could research it, and stick it in a binder for future reference. Yay or nay?

I wish I was back at our clinic during winter break... I have so many questions to ask about vet school and certain procedures, and no one to ask :p

I was fortunate enough to be flipping through the TV last night, and there is actually a program that takes place at the Atlantic Veterinary College. The first episode was on ophthalmology. The head vet told us why she wanted to specialize and some of the ups and downs of her job... and then she had three clients, and her and her students were seeing if the clients were eligible to have cateract-removal surgery. The second episode was all about the the students... they showed the first year's recieving their first uniforms and they had several people talk about what classes they liked, what classes they didn't like, what they do for fun and what they wanted to do when they got their degree. All very interresting and helpful!

Anyway... now that I'm done my happy rant... any thoughts on where I should start?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they ask you question about things you've had experience with. For example they would ask an AniSci major or someone that did LA work about breeds of cattle, pig etc. If you put anything on your app it is fair game in an interview. There is really no need to research things that you never saw, I would focus on knowing what you assisted with and current events.

They probably asked the cattle question to a LA applicant - if it's not what your experience is in then don't worry about it. Be familiar with the big issues of veterinary medicine, as well as things you list on your application. For example, I work in an emergency clinic and we see bloat cases frequently, so it would be fair game for them to ask me what GDV is (it's bloat).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a little bored and I decided to have a look at some of the interview questions from other schools. Some of the questions baffled me, and the ones that stuck out I Googled... "What are 10 things you can do with a DVM?" "What is GDV?" "Name 5 species of beef cattle." "What are some values that you are measuring when testing urine?"

Angus, Hereford, Texas Longhorn, Milking Shorthorn, Galloways. Glucose in the urine which can indicate diabetes due to the excess glucuse in the blood and the kidneys are excreting it. Blood indicates irritation such as from stones in the bladder. Specific gravity can indicate issues with a lack of ADH production.

I wouldn't expect anything crazy with an interview. A pretty common expectation would be for them to ask about subjects you have indicated you are familiar with and try and pick questions tailored to your level of knowledge. If they ask you a hard question and you have no idea, they will come up with something simpler they think you can answer. If you answer every question correctly they will keep asking harder questions.

What was the TV show? Sounds interesting.

I think you should research how to have the most fun before you start vet school, since you'll learn it all when you get there.

Angus, Hereford, Texas Longhorn, Milking Shorthorn, Galloways. Glucose in the urine which can indicate diabetes due to the excess glucuse in the blood and the kidneys are excreting it. Blood indicates irritation such as from stones in the bladder. Specific gravity can indicate issues with a lack of ADH production.

I wouldn't expect anything crazy with an interview. A pretty common expectation would be for them to ask about subjects you have indicated you are familiar with and try and pick questions tailored to your level of knowledge. If they ask you a hard question and you have no idea, they will come up with something simpler they think you can answer. If you answer every question correctly they will keep asking harder questions.

you didn't answer the 10 things to do with a DVM! slacker!

to the OP... it's never a bad idea to learn, so if you want to make the binder with stuff you look up, i think that's a cool idea. just keep in mind that if you look it up beforehand, they won't ask it in your interview, and if you don't know what it is, they WILL ask it ;).

like someone else said, if it's on your application, you better know what you're talking about. but if it's something completely off the wall (in my opinion anyway), they're only wanting to see how you react to 'not knowing.' freak out? fetal position? laugh in their faces and say "how the hell do i know??"?

I think you should research how to have the most fun before you start vet school, since you'll learn it all when you get there.
heh, good idea.

It is called "Island Vets" and it was on Global for all the Canadian students out there. I don't know when it is usually on... I just happened to see it on the TV guide channel thinger when I was channel surfing. The program made me feel at ease a little bit... in one part, they had students who have never handled ferrets before handling a student's ferrets in the clinic. It's been a while since I've handled a ferret, but it made me feel a bit better that I knew something that they didn't know, you get what I mean?

http://www.telefilm.gc.ca/data/production/prod_2814.asp?lang=en&cat=tv&g=doc&y=2004

There are a ton of things that I should get more familiar with... I enjoy reading up on this stuff... and I usually have fun when I am volunteering... I can't wait to get back to volunteering. I miss it.

I'm definately not equine material, but I have an interrest in exotic mammals, "pocket pets", wildlife and birds. Next time something pops into my head, I'll research it, print it off, and see where that gets me.

I'm definately not equine material, but I have an interrest in exotic mammals, "pocket pets", wildlife and birds. Next time something pops into my head, I'll research it, print it off, and see where that gets me.

That is exactly where my interests lie. I was actually kinda disappointed because Skunks are legal to keep as pets in Nova Scotia, but not legal on PEI. Even more bad news is that its illegal to bring squirrels into canada as pets.

I was actually kinda disappointed because Skunks are legal to keep as pets in Nova Scotia, but not legal on PEI. Even more bad news is that its illegal to bring squirrels into canada as pets.

I never knew that :rolleyes: