What classes are you taking this fall? (incoming college freshmen)

malfee

Sports Medicine Wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to Rutgers today to pick out my classes for the fall; however, my program is likely to change quite a bit depending on what AP credit I get in the summer. As of right now, here is what I have chosen:

Foundations of Exercise Science (major requirement)
Calculus 1 (took AP Calc. AB and am expecting a 4...I think! If I get the credit, I think I may just take Calc. 2 just in case med. schools that I apply to down the road require it)
General Biology
Intro to Human Evolution
American Government
Principles and Applications of Microeconomics
Exploring Health & Medicine FIGS (1 credit pass/fail seminar; only taking it if I need another credit to make me a full-time student)

I need to be taking 12 credits per semester to be considered a full-time student. I've already placed out of my English classes via AP English credit. I'm not sure if I should drop one of those bottom three courses (not including the FIGS) and double up with Gen. Bio and Gen. Chem.

Like I said, I'm expecting my program to get changed quite a bit by the fall, whether that be because of AP credit or a change of heart.

Members don't see this ad.

Those seven classes up there equal 12 credits? I am... astounded, to say the least. Good luck with that.

Thus far, I've got Bio 101, Chem 101 and Computer Programming 101. I have five credits left, and I definitely plan on taking another class, but I'm still trying to decide what it'll be.

Those seven classes up there equal 12 credits? I am... astounded, to say the least. Good luck with that.

Thus far, I've got Bio 101, Chem 101 and Computer Programming 101. I have five credits left, and I definitely plan on taking another class, but I'm still trying to decide what it'll be.

Well I'm not really sure. It's weird how we chose our classes. Our advisers met us in one big group and handed out a course list and a course selection sheet. Based on the major we indicated we would be taking, they had already selected our required courses, and then also recommended courses to take. Of course, you could think outside of the box a bit.

Foundations of Exercise Science - only 1.5 credits (why 1.5 i do not know lol)
Calculus 1 - 4 credits
General Biology - 4 credits
Intro to Human Evolution - 3 credits
American Government - 3 credits
Principles and Applications of Microeconomics - 3 credits
Exploring Health & Medicine FIGS - 1 credit

If you add ALL of those up, you get 19.5, which is pretty insane. But I don't plan to take all of them. We were told to list the classes in order of preference. With this said, I'm pretty sure that the adviser won't load a freshman up with 19.5 credits without double-checking. My adviser told us that they typically give freshmen 14-16 credits. If I were to drop any of these courses for the Fall semester, I would probably get rid of Microeconomics. That would leave me with 16.5 credits, which I think I would be able to handle. Or I could also drop that seminar and bring myself down to 15.5 credits.

This is really sort of a rough idea as of now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah... Yeah, that's crazy. Where I'm going, the maximum number of credits that my scholarship covers is 16, so yeah, that's what I'm sticking below. But on the other hand, my college has absolutely no required classes, so... Nyah-nyah!

Ah... Yeah, that's crazy. Where I'm going, the maximum number of credits that my scholarship covers is 16, so yeah, that's what I'm sticking below. But on the other hand, my college has absolutely no required classes, so... Nyah-nyah!

Haha, well it's only the major that has required classes, obviously. They do have general education requirements, but you're able to choose from quite a variety of classes to fulfill the criteria, so it's not too bad.

I'm still very unsure about how we should handle our 4 science courses as pre-meds. Isn't it inevitable that we will have to take two science courses simultaneously in order to be ready to take the MCAT at the end of our junior year? So is it best to take bio and chem together, or maybe it's less stressful to take chem and physics together.

Introduction to Psychology (3 hours) - During the second summer term... If I have my license by then. It's up in the air, to be honest.

Student Development (1 hour) - It's a class to help us adjust to college and learn various study tips so we'll succeed... Or something. It's required to graduate here, so...
College Algebra (3 hours) - I thought about clepping this so I could start out in Pre-Calculus, but... I didn't.
General Chemistry (4 hours) - With lab. We'll see?
General Biology (4 hours) - With lab. I've heard the instructor is really awesome, but super tough.
Freshman Composition (3 hours) - Woot?
Yoga (1 hour) - To be honest, I'm the most excited for this class... XD

So, sixteen hours during the fall. Did any of you guys use ratemyprofessor.com? I sure did. :laugh:

Last edited:
I loooove RMP.com. For the past two years, when scheduling my dual enrollment classes, I'd have class descriptions on one tab, class times on another, and then RMP.com on another. It's brilliant.

Actually, I have to go and leave ratings for my professors in the coming week... (I do it after the class and before I get my grade. :D)

I'm starting in the second summer session due to private student loan issues . So the first two is for the Summer Session II :

Interpersonal Effectiveness ( Psychology ) ( 3 credits )
General Psychology 101 ( 3 credits )

Fall :
ATM it's to be determined I should know soon so I'll post it . These are all for my freshman year ;)
javascript:showDescription('course1','courseclose1');

I had a sort of epiphany today about how scheduling my classes works. Here is what my actual schedule should look like during for my first semester:

Foundations of Exercise Science (1.5)
Calculus 1 (4)
General Biology (4)
Intro to Human Evolution (3)

That comes to 12.5 credits, which is just enough to make me a full-time student, but under the recommended 14-16 credit guideline. As I already have 3 credits from AP English Lang. & Comp., and I could potentially earn another 3, 6, or 10 credits from my AP exams this summer, I feel quite comfortable in only taking 12.5 credits for my first semester. I would much rather have an easy schedule during the transition from high school to college than bog myself down with tons of extra classes. If anything, I may just add one more 3 credit course to my program, which would bring me up to 15.5 credits, which is still quite reasonable.

Also, I think that I will double up on Chemistry and Physics, or perhaps Organic Chemistry and Physics in my Sophmore or Junior year, rather than double up on Biology and Chemistry in my freshman year.

Retrospectively, I took:

Calculus I
LSIC: 21st Century Health Careers (requirement; my first school was a LAC)
Graphic Design
English 120 (required)
French 210 (for my minor)

Second semester:

Calculus II
Gen Chem with lab
Social Psychology
English 101 (transferred)
Genetics

Summer school:

Biology 101 with lab
Philosophy 101
Abnormal Psychology

I'm going to UF and I have to attend Summer B.

I just came back from Orientation and this is what I've got:

Summer B:
ANT2410 Cultural Anthropology (general education class) 3 credits
BSC2007 An intro bio course because I haven't taken bio since 9th grade 3 credits and 1 credit lab
SLS1102 It's called First Year Florida, or Enhanced Freshman experience or something like that. 1 credit. Taking it to get acquainted.

CGS2531 Problem Solving Using Computer Programs, a required business major/minor course. 3 credits.
CHM2045 Chem 101 in other states. 3 credits plus 1 credit lab
MAC2311 Calculus 1 3 credits
LAT1120 Beginning Latin 4 credits
IDH3931 "Science for Life" Basically professors come in once a week to discuss research opportunities. Another easy 1 credit class.

Since I'm a dirty freshman, all my teachers have average at best ratings.

8 credits in the summer, 16 in the fall. So far so good.

Since I'm a dirty freshman, all my teachers have average at best ratings.

That's nice. I am going to a small university so I won't have so many choices of teachers.

Haven't really looked much at the catalog yet. I know I've met the freshman English requirement with my AP Exam. I got a 4 on the AP Calc exam, but I took it in junior year so I will probably take the class again to refresh my mind. I know I'm taking a language (either Spanish or Japanese) and I also want to do something with computer science and genes thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't really looked much at the catalog yet. I know I've met the freshman English requirement with my AP Exam. I got a 4 on the AP Calc exam, but I took it in junior year so I will probably take the class again to refresh my mind. I know I'm taking a language (either Spanish or Japanese) and I also want to do something with computer science and genes thing.

I'd be careful with testing out of english. A lot of med schools require 4-8 credit hours of english during college...Just food for thought

I'd be careful with testing out of english. A lot of med schools require 4-8 credit hours of english during college...Just food for thought

Oh crap, I really hope you're wrong. I've already passed the AP English Language exam last year, and I think there's a good chance that I passed this year's AP English Literature exam. The less English courses I have to take, the better. I'm really good at them, but I really loathe the class and subject. Ironic, eh?

Calc II
Chem 1
Physics II
Bio 1

All have at least one lab (some also have a recitation/discussion section).

It's going to be one hell of a semester. :)

Calc II
Chem 1
Physics II
Bio 1

Wow, that looks tough! It should be exciting, though. :laugh:

Oh crap, I really hope you're wrong. I've already passed the AP English Language exam last year, and I think there's a good chance that I passed this year's AP English Literature exam. The less English courses I have to take, the better. I'm really good at them, but I really loathe the class and subject. Ironic, eh?

Don't worry. Since you tested out of the really basic English classes, you can find composition/English courses that interest you more. I'm sure there's gotta be something in the English department that you mgiht enjoy!

Calc II
Chem 1
Physics II
Bio 1

Hope you don't kill yourself during that semester. Are you trying to graduate early or something? Unless you are a supersmart genius that everyone hates, you're going to have no life.

Hope you don't kill yourself during that semester. Are you trying to graduate early or something? Unless you are a supersmart genius that everyone hates, you're going to have no life.

Don't worry. He is "Darklord" anyway. :D

lol well I am like that so it's possible :p I live to study and study only , I live to stay stuck in my books and do the work, so he just may be :p;)

Don't worry. He is "Darklord" anyway. :D

Do I know you?

I want to keep a schedule like that throughout college. ;) I don't want to graduate in 5-6 years.

I also have to keep a 3.5 for scholarships. Do you guys think I can do it? :confused:

I'm thinking about dropping a class... and replacing it with speech?

But the other side of me wants to

live to study and study only

:)

Do I know you?

I want to keep a schedule like that throughout college. ;) I don't want to graduate in 5-6 years.

I also have to keep a 3.5 for scholarships. Do you guys think I can do it? :confused:

Sounds like The Darklord is showing signs of weakness.

In regards to taking speech, it is a required course for most places and you are going to have to take it sooner or later. It's not a bad idea.

My advisor told me not to take Bio I first semester, and definitely not take chem 1 and bio 1 together. So I'm taking chem 1, calculus 1, Latin, and business computing course.

If you have 70 hours a week purely devoted to school, you should be able to handle it.

Calc II
Chem 1
Physics II
Bio 1

Ehh, I did that last semester (minus the chem, plus a computer engineering and biomedical engineering class), it wasn't that bad. I ended up with a 4.0. Just stay on top of the labs, which is much easier said than done!

Would you happen to be a biomedical engineering major? Very few majors have to take that sort of workload, and BME is one of them.

No, I'm just biology. I'll try to stay on top of the labs (something I didn't do this semester) :D. Do you have any other advise kickback?

Anyone else have a similar schedule? Feedback will be much appreciated.

No, I'm just biology. I'll try to stay on top of the labs (something I didn't do this semester) :D. Do you have any other advise kickback?

Anyone else have a similar schedule? Feedback will be much appreciated.

For labs, my advice is to look at all the requirements of the lab the day that you do the lab, and jot down notes on how to answer all of the questions. Labs suck so much, so I sit down and do the whole thing in one sitting to get it over with. I look over it another day to do revisions.

Otherwise, just keep up with your work. For some reasons, the big classes tend to have tests in the same week. I think the professors get together to punish us over-achievers :laugh:

Another tip: don't waste time when you study. So many people I know say "I was at the library for literally 9 hours straight, and I still have so much to do", especially during midterms/finals week. When I see many of these people, they are talking with their friends/on Facebook. Although you run the risk of being seen as "anti-social" when you go and study by yourself, you will have more time to hang out with your friends/do whatever you want to do on the weekends. Spend as little time as you can doing as well as you can. Of course, finals/midterms week will be rough, and you will have to spend a lot of time in the library

Last edited:
Do I know you?

:) I know you can do it ! With determination and drive I know you can . What exactly are your goals if you don't mind my asking ? :) I plan to keep a rigorous schedule as well throughout college . I couldn't see it any other way . :D

I took almost all my humanities and social sciences during high school and now I have nothing to take but science classes.

I also don't want to have a super easy schedule (3 classes) because I feel that I will just be wasting my time during the semester.

I want to further my studying and learning skills, so I can be successful in professional school.

I took Calc 1 and Physics 1 at my local university and ended up with a B+ an B-, respectively. It was kind of disappointing (I have to keep a 3.5 to maintain scholarships and a 3.2 to remain in my 0-6 pharmacy program). I ended up with a 3.25, which very close to being kicked out.

I know I have the mental capacity to be successful. The classes were not that hard. For some reason, I the classes seemed to just go over my head and t was discouraging to study.

Now, I am taking what some say is a ridiculously hard schedule in hopes of finishing a degree in 3 years. The last thing I want to do is extend it to four. I also have the option of taking the core sciences in 3 years and not take some extra upper level biology courses required to get a degree. I don't know, I am pretty confused.

hey all,
just a bit of unsolicited advice from someone who graduated almost 10 years ago and is now well into my medical career---
if you're looking to end up in medicine, I'd highly recommend learning to speak another language well during college (preferably Spanish). you will never have as much time as you do now to devote to this, and chances are you will never regret doing it. if I could go back to college and change something, I would absolutely have taken Spanish classes until I was semi-fluent (and I probably would have spent a semester abroad in a Spanish-speaking country). a LOT of the patients I see (I work in the ER) only speak Spanish, and using interpreters gets really old (and takes longer).

good luck to you all and have fun!!! college is great.