What Class Should I Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dust13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to start a career in the medical field this summer. I will be taking some classes, but I am unsure of where to start. My goal would be to work in the operating room as a surgeon. This is where it gets tricky for me so I would appreciate your advice.

Should I take CNA classes? I have read many articles that working your way from the bottom to the top makes one a better person since they will possess a better understanding of what goes on. Plus I think it will help me start gaining experience since I can start working right away in the medical field.

Or should I start working toward a bachelor degree in biology? I also saw that my college offers a degree in Surgical Technology and a fast track program in Sterile Processing Technician. I was thinking about taking the Sterile Processing course this summer since it is one semester long. My only concern is will I be able to start working in the OR right away or will it be a waste of time since it is a fast track program? The only reason I am considering the program is so I can start gaining experience in the OR. To be a scrub technician, do you need a degree? What exactly is the process like in order to become a scrub?

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to hearing from you guys. The help will be greatly appreciated. If there is something else you may recommend, then I am all ears.

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in whatever you want to, as long as you obtain a degree and take the medical school prerequisite courses. Do some research on the requirements. Also shadow physicians and volunteer to see if this career is really for you.