What challenges do optometrists face today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crizq0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Commercialization of optometry, schools producing too many graduates, and in some states can only co manage a glaucoma pt. with omd.

Are there any other huge issues optometrists are facing? Or anything limiting them from giving the best possible care?

Members don't see this ad.

Commercialization of optometry, schools producing too many graduates, and in some states can only co manage a glaucoma pt. with omd.

Are there any other huge issues optometrists are facing? Or anything limiting them from giving the best possible care?

In my opinion....

The single biggest issue facing optometry today is the continued discrimination against ODs by significant numbers of medical insurers in significant parts of the country.

The (distant) second biggest issue facing optometry today is the massive oversupply of ODs. (which in large parts relates to point #1)

Everything else is extremely minor, IMHO.

What about the fact that it is becoming harder to go solo (AKA commercialization of optometry)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to think big and outside of the box. As I said in a previos post, there are plenty of oppurtunities available. ODs have to get more creative in their marketing...

Let's talk about Wal-Mart. It has the lowest prices, but people still shop at Target, and other grocery stores. Several reasons why. People hate Wal-Mart because of the way it treats its employees, b/c it is too crowded, feel they don't have trendy products, or just because a shopper wants to help the little guy.

Optometry is no different. Partnering wich schools and churches as well as getting involved in the community does wonders for a private practice. And partnering with MDs and dentists.

There are numerous oppurtunites available.
http://www.connateholdings.com/optometry/career_opps.php

The baby boomers are retiring and even though they already have their glasses, they will be using ODs more and more.

The thinking does have to change though. Some grocers already have clinics in them and it won't be long before they start to have vision center as well.

The baby boomers are retiring and even though they already have their glasses, they will be using ODs more and more.

Definitely don't waste the opportunity to address bifocal contacts with the "new" presbyope. I've had people walk out THRILLED because I brought this up to them when no one else has.

I'm at the privilege at being at the forefront of a big battle right now in the California Optometric Association ( I am currently working with 3 of the past COA presidents on some of these problems). One big issue at hand is currently opticians vs. optometry. Opticians are trying to gain the right to do stand a lone refraction between the ages of 21-40 and their argument is that this population is generally disease free so they want that right. They are argue that this same experiment has been going on in the asian countries but they don't really mention how unsuccessful it has been over there. The OMD's, OD's have been fighting the opticians in China about it too (from what I hear). In either case, both sides are still formulating cases with lawyers and still awaiting their time in front of the state congress.

Think of the ramifications if Opticians won that right on Optometry. I really don't think they are going to win this case but they sure are trying.

That's just one of the pressing issues going on that not many people know about.

Here in British Columbia, Canada, opticians have been doing stand alone refractions for the last several years. It is NOT "legal", and both the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and the BC Board of Optometry have publicly denounced the practice. However, for reasons not understood, the provincial government has sided with the opticians, at least in spirit.

I have had several patients who were "sight tested" (the term used by opticians), that have had ocular pathology. I even had a monocular (prosthetic eye) patient with glaucoma in the other eye who came to see me because he didn't like his new glasses. Wow. Most recently I had a patient who was very unhappy with her glasses, and was told by the optician that was sight testing her that "this is as good as it gets". She had a 20/50 cataract in her right eye. I refered her for surgery. My question is what if it wasn't a cataract (a relatively easy fix), but a melonoma or glaucoma, or an RD??? The optician did not advise her to see a doctor...she came because of her own good judgemnt. Pathetic, I would say.

JP

Here in British Columbia, Canada, opticians have been doing stand alone refractions for the last several years. It is NOT "legal", and both the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and the BC Board of Optometry have publicly denounced the practice. However, for reasons not understood, the provincial government has sided with the opticians, at least in spirit.

I have had several patients who were "sight tested" (the term used by opticians), that have had ocular pathology. I even had a monocular (prosthetic eye) patient with glaucoma in the other eye who came to see me because he didn't like his new glasses. Wow. Most recently I had a patient who was very unhappy with her glasses, and was told by the optician that was sight testing her that "this is as good as it gets". She had a 20/50 cataract in her right eye. I refered her for surgery. My question is what if it wasn't a cataract (a relatively easy fix), but a melonoma or glaucoma, or an RD??? The optician did not advise her to see a doctor...she came because of her own good judgemnt. Pathetic, I would say.

JP

That is pathetic and sad. They are doing stand alone refractions on everyone in BC? They didn't restrict it to you 21-40 year olds? In either case, I hope the government stops it.

According to their own association, opticians are supposed to restrict sight testing to those 19-64 who have no eye disease or high-risk systemic condtions. They are also supposed to restrict themselves to individuals who have had a full eye exam within the last 5 years.

There are lots of holes in these supposed checks and balances. Firstly, how is an individual to know if they have an eye disease? What if they have undiagnosed diabetes?? And how many patients give an accurate estimation of their last eye exam? Most people underestimate the time. They will tell me 3 years when it's been 5 or 6.

Aside from the above, many opticians simply ignore their own "standards". I have seen patients who have glasses from a sight test who have NEVER had an eye exam. I have also seen diabetics and people over 65 who have been sight tested. It really pisses me off. Eye care has (ie optometry) has spent the last 100 years getting out of the jewellry store, and elevating eye care to the highest standards possible....sadly in BC...and I'm sure other provinces, states in the future, eye "care" is heading back to the jewellry store. I guess it's buyer beware.

JP