What can you major in before going to Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a quick question, Im going to go for my bachelors, but am considering being a Pharmacist. I have always wanted to either become a Pharmacist or a Psychologist. I read a few threads and I wanted to double check on this: Can I go into Pharmacy School with a Bachelors in Psychology or Sociology?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This topic is more appropriately addressed in the pre-pharmacy forum.

I'll move it there for you. Members from the pharmacy forum read and comment in that forum, as well.

Anything. Just as long as you get all of your pre reqs done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you want...however, the majority are biology or chemistry majors. These majors align strongly with the pre-requisites, so you won't have to go too far out of your way to complete them.

UNMorBust said it, "Anything". I have a BA in Sociology then went back and got a BS in Biology. I've heard of French majors getting into med school and a friend of mine got into pharmacy school with an English degree. Just make sure you do the prereqs.

As UNMorBust said, you only need to finish the required prerequisite courses at the particular pharmacy school you are interested in attending. You also may have to register for the admission test, PCAT, if it is a requirement for the school which usually is the case. This link will be a good starting point for you.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

I wouldn't necessarily say it is strongly recommended in bio or chem. I did mine in psychology. (I got a minor in chem, which was mainly because I almost had it already with just the pre-pharm courses.) I would say it's best to do it in something you are truly interested in. I think a non-science field almost gives you an advantage. Obviously everyone is taking the same pre-reqs. But if you show interest in another field and you excel in that field, it shows you are well-rounded and can be a real positive in the application process. Bonus points if you are also involved in extra-curricular activities related to your major, especially leadership positions in organizations.

Plus, there are pharmacists that specialize in psychiatry, which is something I am looking into as well! :)

I have a B.A. in psychology and a minor in Bio

My friend's dad told me years ago to stay away from bio or chemistry majors unless I was truly interested in those fields (many of my friends did Biology because they either were pressured by their parents or they thought it was the only way to get into the medical field. many of them didn't do too well). I chose a field that I enjoyed (Psychology) and completed pre-reqs on the side. If I had to do it again , I would choose to do Psychology any day over bio or chemistry although I had a slight disadvantage of getting into some Bio classes (I completed a few at Junior colleges).

\
My friend's dad told me years ago to stay away from bio or chemistry majors unless I was truly interested in those fields .
Give that man a cookie. What happens when you are not interested in a subject???? You don't fully apply yourself. Why not do something that you truely enjoy. Trust me your GPA will reflect it.

I'm half way done and am (was? :p) on my way to become a teacher. I start my pharmacy pre-reqs spring 2009; but I'll still be going online (spring 09, accelerated courses every 5 weeks) while I'm working on my pre-reqs. If I do well in my courses (I work has hard as I have to and I like math and love science) I'll stop the teaching program and forge ahead in Pharmacy. I miss being in a classroom anyway, online is boring :sleep:. My degree would be a BA in Social Science with a concentrated in Education. We shall see!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I have a quick question, Im going to go for my bachelors, but am considering being a Pharmacist. I have always wanted to either become a Pharmacist or a Psychologist. I read a few threads and I wanted to double check on this: Can I go into Pharmacy School with a Bachelors in Psychology or Sociology?

Thanks

I am having a similar problem. I am an undergrad student at CC and I am planning on taking pre pharmacy courses. I am very confused about what to major in.

Some people have told me to major in Sociology and Psychology and others have told me to be an Anthropology major. Does anyone have any reccomentdations on which is better??:confused:

I plan on transferring to UCLA in fall 2010 and I am unsure about what major will increase my chances of acceptance and will also look good for pre pharmacy.

If anyone has any advice please let me know because it is important to complete my major courses as soon as possible. I am still unsure, as I have been for a while about what to major in. Also, if I were to double major what could I double major in??

Thanks!:D

Most people who apply to a health related school major in science degrees like biology, microbiology, chemistry, biochemistry, etc. But pharmacy schools love diversity and don't want all of their students to have science backgrounds. If you want to be a "different" individual, major in a humanities or arts degree. I've heard that economic majors have the highest acceptance rate (coming from an advisor). So for example, if you're interested in history, then do that and get a minor or double major in science. Just know that you'll have to work harder than the single science degree people because you would have to take history courses on top of the pharmacy prerequisite courses (science degrees don't worry about that because their courses already satisfy pharmacy prereqs.)

So does sociology major sound okay? Or should I go for an anthropology arts major?

Going to optometry school before pharmacy is another option :) (i kid i kid)

So does sociology major sound okay? Or should I go for an anthropology arts major?

Like everyone else has been saying it really doesn't matter. Just do something you want to do. For me I started doing my prereqs for pharm school at a CC and by the time I got to the University I was only one year away from completing a biology or biochem degree so it just made sense to me. I do think that some kind of science degree will better prepare you for the pharmacy curriculum which is why I chose a science major. I took biochem and evolution last semester and I'm taking genetics, cell bio, and animal physiology this semester to finish up my bachelors. I have no doubt that that will help me when I do get into pharmacy school. But like everyone said just make sure you're able to complete the pharmacy pre reqs that the schools of your choice require. As far as what degree is better I really don't think it matters. Like people have mentioned you can get in with sociology, psychology, interior design, english degree, anything. I'd still recommend a science major but thats just my preference.

Microbiology FTW! :soexcited:

Gotta say, I agree. :laugh: Although Neuro is pretty fun, too.

If you want my two cents, whatever gives you the higher GPA (while finishing the prerequisites). This works for all pre-health professions. No one has ever asked about my major in an interview...

Edits: I actually chose a major that gave me a slightly lower GPA for interest and the topic of my major actually did come up in my latest interview, but because of the awkward title. Nothing serious. (I'm my own exceptions...<sigh>)

I got a communications degree.....here I am...going into pharm fall09.

I THINK the non-science degrees make you stand out a bit. However, I did not get my undergrad for this very reason.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a BS in one of the sciences, and minor in something of my interest.

My bachelor's was in ethnic studies (emphasis Asian American studies) and chemistry; master's was in sociology, and I was in doctoral studies for sociology also.

It honestly doesn't matter what you do--and that's the big secret that no one tells anyone in college--as long as you enjoy what you're studying, and fulfill all the prereqs, no one cares what your major is.

This post helped me sooooooooooo much. Thank you to everyone that posted in it. I was scared ****less of all the courses besides the pre-requisites that I would have had to taken for a Bio degree

mine is pharm chem, since it satisfies most of the pre reqs.

Mathematics and Computer Science are full of win. Fitting the prerequisites in should not be a problem. Particularly if you're smart about spacing out the labs.

I'm sorry, I have to ask....

WHY are there at least 4 different threads at the top of the front page on EXACTLY the same thing? (Can I major in X or what major do I have to do for pharm or any variations of the sort.) Really. Do people just not bother searching - or even just SCANNING the first page or two for their questions??

I am not picking on the OP, I just picked one of the threads on this topic at random to say this. Cuz it's really annoying me ....

I'm sorry, I have to ask....

WHY are there at least 4 different threads at the top of the front page on EXACTLY the same thing? (Can I major in X or what major do I have to do for pharm or any variations of the sort.) Really. Do people just not bother searching - or even just SCANNING the first page or two for their questions??

I am not picking on the OP, I just picked one of the threads on this topic at random to say this. Cuz it's really annoying me ....

even if they might say the same thing, we can give different responses based on the background of the OP or the OP's current situation.

even if they might say the same thing, we can give different responses based on the background of the OP or the OP's current situation.

All the answers I see are along the lines of "you can major in anything you want/like, as long as you also complete the prereqs" - whether it be history, psychology or biochemistry or biology. I really am not seeing different responses based on the background or current situation. I understand that sometimes there needs to be specific answers tailoring to a specific situation - especially in the case of LORs and such. But these can I major in X posts? They're all the same with the exact same answer.

All the answers I see are along the lines of "you can major in anything you want/like, as long as you also complete the prereqs" - whether it be history, psychology or biochemistry or biology. I really am not seeing different responses based on the background or current situation. I understand that sometimes there needs to be specific answers tailoring to a specific situation - especially in the case of LORs and such. But these can I major in X posts? They're all the same with the exact same answer.

in most cases it is like what you have said. but some people are new to this forum and don't know how to look at old posts. and some might have time to only make a single post and check that ONE post they make and not search for others.

in most cases it is like what you have said. but some people are new to this forum and don't know how to look at old posts. and some might have time to only make a single post and check that ONE post they make and not search for others.

-shrug- i understand. It's just annoying. Isn't it common forum etiquette to check at least the first few posts on the the first page and skim over to make sure you're not double posting? The answers are all there, for the most part. And like I said, there have been at least 4 on the front page on this exact topic.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm just venting my own frustration and annoyance. People are getting so lazy these days - can't even afford themselves a simple google search or a very quick skim on the front page on this forum (or forum search) which would solve much of their problems. I understand that the forum is there to help people, but it's annoying when people flounce here thinking they will be waited on and served upon. If they were truly serious about this process, it'd be reassuring to see them do their own research, instead of expecting everything to be found for them by other people. This isn't a whatever 2-year out-of-high-school degree we're talking about. It's a professional doctor's degree, and as such, I'm thinking that the people trying to get one would show some level of insight. Maybe that's too much to ask of people these days?

Anyway, bottom line, if people are allowed to post multiple threads on the same topic, surely I'm allowed to comment on it? I know the reasons why, and I know that sometimes there are exceptions to the common situation, but shrug, I just wanted to comment on it. It's not like I made a thread in itself calling for a ban on these kind of posts. Like I said earlier, venting my annoyance.

Thanks
I recorded a 14 minute video on YouTube called "Best Pre-Pharmacy Major" to answer the question in detail comparing grade point averages, entrance exam scores (PCAT) and preparation for the application process comparing a physical science (chemistry), biological science (biology) and a humanities major (English).

Looking at the data set I used, psychology would be a terrible undergraduate major because it ranks as one of the five lowest gpa majors (according to the Wake Forest study in top 5 majors and worst 5 majors by gpa) and it has the second lowest MCAT scores (which I correlate to PCAT performance) according to a pdf put out by the AIP statistical research center . The only worse major would be an actual "pre-med" major.

Looking at the above posts, the advice is not very good because it is not complete. I keep reading "Any major you want...recommend biology, chemistry, biochemistry..." A complete phrase would be any major you want, while completing the pre-requisites in a major that you can likely get a 3.5 or higher. Biology, chemistry and biochemistry do not fit those parameters, I'm afraid because it would be extremely difficult to see your way past a 3.0.

The confusion is the fallacy that the most common major and best major. Most common major does not equal best major in this case, it is actually one of the worst.

Last edited: