What can I expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccDab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rookie on SDN. Couldn't find a thread to answer this question. If there's already one, somebody point me to it, but if not, here goes:

I'm a med-peds wannabe. Top 25 US school with average grades, step 1 & 2 above 250, no publications. What % yield can I expect interview-wise? (If it matters, I applied to 31 programs and duel applied (IM) as a back-up. Trying to decide how many IM interviews to schedule.)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean how many more interviews to expect to come in or how many programs you should interview at to match?

For the first question, I applied to about the same number of programs maybe 33 or so. By this time last year, it looks like I had 19 interview offers based on the sticky. It looks like I got another 5 or 6 after this time (10/9). I didn't post super late offers. I think I ended up with like 27 interview offers out of like 33 applications. Assuming the timeline is similar this year, I would expect that the trajectory would be similar and the best way to predict your number is based on how things are going for you at this point. It sounds like we had fairly dissimilar applications so I'm not sure how much help my experience is. I had similar scores, but went to a generic state school, had graduate degrees and so on.

I also applied to the IM-PSTP programs. So about this time last year, I was accepting those. As more Med/Peds offers came in later from strong programs, I started dropping earlier scheduled interviews. I would imagine you won't need IM as a backup unless residency rankings is important to you. I know applicants who were much weaker that got into good programs last year.

For the second question, I think most people that I know matched between numbers 2 and 6 on their rank list. That is probably highly biased by the people I now talk to the most. Just guessing, since the Med/Peds programs at the world famous institutions (MGH, BWH, JH, Penn, UChicago, Duke, etc.) tend to be very small and the programs at very good institutions (BCM, Mich, OSU, IU, Minnesota) tend to be significantly bigger, I would imagine that not getting one's first choice is extremely common. By contrast, it is sort of the opposite in IM because the big name programs also tend to be the biggest programs.

I hope it goes well for you. Interviews are a lot of fun in retrospect! Though tough at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean how many more interviews to expect to come in or how many programs you should interview at to match?

For the first question, I applied to about the same number of programs maybe 33 or so. By this time last year, it looks like I had 19 interview offers based on the sticky. It looks like I got another 5 or 6 after this time (10/9). I didn't post super late offers. I think I ended up with like 27 interview offers out of like 33 applications. Assuming the timeline is similar this year, I would expect that the trajectory would be similar and the best way to predict your number is based on how things are going for you at this point. It sounds like we had fairly dissimilar applications so I'm not sure how much help my experience is. I had similar scores, but went to a generic state school, had graduate degrees and so on.

I also applied to the IM-PSTP programs. So about this time last year, I was accepting those. As more Med/Peds offers came in later from strong programs, I started dropping earlier scheduled interviews. I would imagine you won't need IM as a backup unless residency rankings is important to you. I know applicants who were much weaker that got into good programs last year.

For the second question, I think most people that I know matched between numbers 2 and 6 on their rank list. That is probably highly biased by the people I now talk to the most. Just guessing, since the Med/Peds programs at the world famous institutions (MGH, BWH, JH, Penn, UChicago, Duke, etc.) tend to be very small and the programs at very good institutions (BCM, Mich, OSU, IU, Minnesota) tend to be significantly bigger, I would imagine that not getting one's first choice is extremely common. By contrast, it is sort of the opposite in IM because the big name programs also tend to be the biggest programs.

I hope it goes well for you. Interviews are a lot of fun in retrospect! Though tough at the time.

Thx so much for the reply, ausmeyer. I'm hoping for enough interviews that I'm comfortable not doing any IM at all. I guess I'm trying to figure out how many more to expect (@ 12 right now) and how to know that I've got enough so I'm statistically likely to match. I'm not hung up on rankings, but I guess I'd like to stay somewhere on the east coast. (In the end though, that won't matter as long as I match.)

Members don't see this ad :)
with 10 interviews generally you will have 90% chance of matching into med-peds. I believe this came from Allen Friedland's data that he showed at a regional conference

Refer to this report from NRMP -> Data and Reports -> Residency -> Charing Outcomes for US Allopathic Seniors.
Go to page 90-98, there is all the infos you need in regards of med-peds. Page 93 is specific to what you are looking for.
On the other hand, I'm stuck at 6 interviews. mind sharing some with me?

Reactions: 1 user
Refer to this report from NRMP -> Data and Reports -> Residency -> Charing Outcomes for US Allopathic Seniors.
Go to page 90-98, there is all the infos you need in regards of med-peds. Page 93 is specific to what you are looking for.
On the other hand, I'm stuck at 6 interviews. mind sharing some with me?

It's stressful, right? Sending good thoughts your way that you'll get some positive emails today.

Reactions: 1 users
Rookie on SDN. Couldn't find a thread to answer this question. If there's already one, somebody point me to it, but if not, here goes:

I'm a med-peds wannabe. Top 25 US school with average grades, step 1 & 2 above 250, no publications. What % yield can I expect interview-wise? (If it matters, I applied to 31 programs and duel applied (IM) as a back-up. Trying to decide how many IM interviews to schedule.)

I would expect you get more than 20 interviews

Stuck @ 12 and 2 WL. I'm hoping that's enough. Anybody else hearing that this is a "competitive year"?

I had a similar application, but swapping strong grades / no med school rep. Applied to 40ish places and only failed to receive II's at like 5 of them. I haven't heard about the popularity of med peds this year, but I would be surprised if you failed to match med peds with the info you've shared with 12 interviews. With that said, if may still make sense for you to apply med/peds and categorical, but that's a personal decision (e.g. If you'd be happier matching a strong IM program than a med peds program that isn't necessarily as strong IM)

I also heard this year is more competitive... a faculty member told me that there are more applications but they're attributing it more to the fact that we've all applied to way more than they used to, not that there's actually that many more applicants. So hopefully matching won't be any harder? :scared: