what can i do to stay competitive for residency or pharmacy job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmac01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what i can still do to stay competitive for a job in pharmacy or residency. I graduated last year, however, I expect to get licensed at the end of this year but i do not currently have a job in a pharmacy related field. I have a part-time job though and I was wondering if there were such things as journal clubs (although I have looked and can not find any) or if volunteering at a hospital or such would be beneficial.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear it.
I was wondering if the fact that I have been working is a decent enough use of my time when employers or preceptors would like to know what I have been doing since graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Why haven't you gotten licensed yet? To be honest residencies likely won't give you a chance if you graduated last year and haven't been working in a pharmacy related field. I would get licensed as soon as possible and look for something in pharmacy

What are you doing? That would be a huge red flag to me. If you look at the stats, people who are not new grads have a lower % of matching. People wonder WTF you've been doing. I would not consider you as a candidate because I would be worried that you have no follow-through, no resourcefulness, no ambition. None of that may be true but you get a quick glance and that is how it would look. Sorry.

Can you at least be a pharm tech somewhere? Again, I think it would look strange that you graduated in 2012 and weren't licensed til the end of 2013. Most people would want to know why the long delay. Another idea might be to see if there are any free/low cost clinics that have RPhs working with them. I know a few students who volunteer at a local clinic near us but there's a prof there too to supervise them.