What can I do to maximize my chances of matching into an AOA Orthopedic Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary3x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

About to start school at KCUMB...taking a look at the match list from the past couple years and there have been several orthopedic residency matches at various AOA programs.

Besides stellar board scores, what can I do maximize my chances of matching into orthopedic?

I know research, but it seems like DO schools don't have that many research opportunities. Also I'm not an athlete so I know that doesn't help.

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you graduate, there will no longer be separate AOA vs ACGME residencies. Although no one really knows how this merger is going to affect DO's matching, it will almost certainly make ultra competitive specialties (such as ortho) even more difficult for DO's to match into.

Edit: Simply do a search for residency merger, and you'll see what I'm referring to.

Better start working on the big 3

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends,

About to start school at KCUMB...taking a look at the match list from the past couple years and there have been several orthopedic residency matches at various AOA programs.

Besides stellar board scores, what can I do maximize my chances of matching into orthopedic?

I know research, but it seems like DO schools don't have that many research opportunities. Also I'm not an athlete so I know that doesn't help.

Research that allows you to get involved with programs that are realistic for you to match to. Audition rotations as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Apply 5 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
AOA is gone, son. Matching ortho will be hard without contacts, even with stellar scores. Do excellent in the step, get good research and do amazing auditions and then it'll be a good maybe

I'm surprised no one has mentioned getting your bench up. Shoot for 250 depending on your body weight.

Reactions: 5 users
You need to ask yourself, "what is my favorite writing utensil?" If your answer is anything other than crayon you're probably not cut out for ortho..

AOA is gone, son. Matching ortho will be hard without contacts, even with stellar scores. Do excellent in the step, get good research and do amazing auditions and then it'll be a good maybe

Yes, I can't imagine it getting easier. I have a hard time believing all those ortho gunners in my year will actually match ortho. Going to need at least a 245+ Step 1 most likely with relevant research with posters/publications and just solid all around auditions. AOA ortho sometimes matched with above average scores not stellar because it was often more "fit" based from what I've heard. Matching into ACGME ortho residencies? You might need higher numbers than MD applicants to have a chance.

Yes, I can't imagine it getting easier. I have a hard time believing all those ortho gunners in my year will actually match ortho. Going to need at least a 245+ Step 1 most likely with relevant research with posters/publications and just solid all around auditions. AOA ortho sometimes matched with above average scores not stellar because it was often more "fit" based from what I've heard. Matching into ACGME ortho residencies? You might need higher numbers than MD applicants to have a chance.
I agree, but let's not forget the great quote "'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take - wayne gretzky' - michael scott"

Reactions: 3 users