What can I do in High school that will help in dental school!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBSTX

kingly
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in high school and am very interested in the field of dentistry.. Most clubs in my high school are good for pre med students only. Like HOSA. What can I do in HS that will better prepare for whats to come in Dental School? Also that will look good when I'm applying to a dental school. And do they (dental school) look at what you did (clubs, extra-curricular) when you are in high school?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by MBSTX:
I'm a sophomore in high school and am very interested in the field of dentistry.. Most clubs in my high school are good for pre med students only. Like HOSA. What can I do in HS that will better prepare for whats to come in Dental School? Also that will look good when I'm applying to a dental school. And do they (dental school) look at what you did (clubs, extra-curricular) when you are in high school?

Dear Freind,
It is really nice that at your young age, that you plan for your future, choosing a career in Dentistry, is like a game you need to orgnize your stratigies. First, take the basic scince, Physics, Biology,Chemistry as well as math. Also take the non science courses that interest you say music, or art becuase these will bring your natural talent and will be good for you from the dry hardcore science. With regard to the Pre-Med club, if it is the only one join it, remeber Dentistry is sub-specilization of Medicince that tries to help people feel good and have high self esteem, but don't put the club and other activities above your study, after all your GPA is the most crucial factor. I would recommend when you are in summer to go volounteer in a Dental Clinic or a hospital, becuase that would look good on your record and show that you are serious about it, also becuase it will allow you to see the challenges the Dentist face, with different kinds of patients, that will help you in assesment, maybe after all you don't like to see a prson with bleeding gums, or someone who had an accident and knocked his/her tooth out.
Now as I said all you need is to orgnize, and if there is pre-med, or pre-dental or school advisors meet them.
Now once you are done from High school, it is college, you can chose whatever major that you like as long as you fulfill your pre-dental requirement which is same as pre-med requirments, it is one year in Biology, physics, Chemistry, Organic chem., and English.
Most Pre-Dental Students choose Biology becuae it allow you to take higher Biology Courses such as Physiology, Gentics, anatomy, Biochemisty....etc
Next step will be DAT, it is now Computerized and you can take it whenever you are ready, It covers science, math, English as well as Preceptual ability, I took my DAT twice because I didn't give myself enough time to study the first time, plus I was taking classes in school, I joined Kaplan and it was very helpful, and I scored much better on my second try.
Well That's basically it, I know I talked too much, but hey I have been throgh this myself, all I can say beleive in your self and you will do it.
Good Luck
K.H

Though i am in medical schoool right now...i have one advice for you
smile.gif

Ever thought of applying to a six-year dental program straight out from high school??? WIth your commitment you'll get in. My sister got in to a guaranteed admissions to medical school program at Brown with only a 1530 on the SAT (but her GPA is high). THink about it...study hard for the SAT, keep up your GPA, and do lots of extracurricular activities (especially community service) even if they do not pertain to dental.
Best wishes