What are you reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travisgee

Coast to Coast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of books, essays, magazines are you reading? More specifically, what is something you find useful to educate yourself for the writing sections to come, but at the same time actually enjoy reading?

At the moment I'm reading The Essential Writings of Machiavelli. I also have a subscription to Art in America and enjoy reading the critic's reviews. I also just finished reading Predictably Irrational, which I really enjoyed. Although I wish that it had been a little more technical. I'm a nerd like that. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The Economist - nice dense writing, interesting articles, lots of news I never hear about in newspapers

Pubmed :p

The economist, ill have to check that out. Someone mentioned to me recently that they were also reading it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lord of the rings trilogy. I told my husband that I've never read it and he just about had a heart attack. So I'm reading it before school starts for the fall.

I started reading The Wall Street Journal while studying for the MCAT, continued it through the Secondary Application process, and now I'm hooked and can't quit. The editorials are particularly educational and enjoyable.

My usual list of daily reading includes Associated Press news, BBC news, NY Times health, Reuters, Forbes magazine, Slashdot and of course SDN. I just ordered that book "War Sugery (Iraq and Afghanistan 2002-2007)" from the Government Printing Office.

Discover magazine, which is interesting but kind of sensationalist and pulpy
Reading An Ancestor's Tale between semesters
Online I read SomethingAwful, ScienceDaily, CNN (which is terrible), and SDN

This I believe - based on the radio program of the same name

HomePower - Alt energy mag.

Car & Driver - fluff, and cars rock

PC Magazine - Uber geek, yes I am

Family Practice Mgmt

Never Sniff a Gift Fish - Patrick McManus

good question!

Thanks. :)

To aliveNkickin, I didn't realize there was a NY times health. I'm going to check into that.

I remember reading something, somewhere that really pushed for keeping up to date with whats going on in the medicine world, (makes sense) even through he/she still is in his/her studies. I flipped though a copy of JAMA a few times at a library, but it was super technical, which doesn't totally bother me, but I just have to be prepared for that kind for information load.

Yeah, Pubmed, ^_^
I am reading Economist too. And someone told me New Yorker is good too. They have articles about literature and philosophy.

Yeah, Pubmed, ^_^
I am reading Economist too. And someone told me New Yorker is good too. They have articles about literature and philosophy.

The New Yorker is lovely. New York magazine is really good too, if you like a less "formal" read but still like substance.

This thread, Middlemarch, House of Rain, and Teach yourself hindi

1. Google Reader - to minimize time spent on my worrisome, ever-growing blog-reading habit that 80 percent confirms my political biases and 20 percent causes actual thinking and learning.

2. The Atlantic - best magazine out there right now. Good think pieces and reviews. I used to get the Economist, but it was simply too dense.

3. Entertainment Weekly - if I've got eight hours a week to watch TV or movies, might as well make them good.

4. Not reading but listening - podcasts. These are great time killers/fillers. If I'm stuck waiting in line somewhere or have to do some house cleaning. I subscribe to some political and sports radio shows. Some medicine lectures - emergency medicine, epidemiology, others.

I feel bad about not reading more fiction, but I hear that this is something future physicians must just accept for an extended period.

The Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz because I can :D

Seriously, I have less than two weeks until I start school and I only have two summers left, so I'm making the most of my free time.

Anything by Richard Dawkins.

Currently reading The Borderlands of Science by Michael Shermer.

How Doctor's Think by Jerome Groopman
Takes a hard and revealing look at the

The Living End, The Future of Death, Aging and Immortality by Guy Brown
An entertaining and even more edifying read. Combines social criticism, philosophy, cell biology and the modern Western medical care system on what is our world going to look like when many more people are living well into their 90s and beyond...

Scientific American
The topics are diverse and relevant, and distilled down from reading at the sometimes challenging level of academic science journals.