What are we qualified to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm taking a year and half off before med school and I'm trying to get a job that will gain me some clinical experience, since I'm lacking that. I figured I could just volunteer at a hospital, but ugh.. I need money too!

So, does anyone know what kind of job I could get in a hospital? Seems like all of them require experience in a clerical setting, which I don't have. Any suggestions? I'm an EMT, but finding a job is impossible in NorCal.

If anyone had a success story with finding a job, please let me know where to look, who to talk to and what to do! :) Thanks

Christine

Members don't see this ad.

have you thought about clinical research? you can work closely with a doctor, and you can get a lot of patient contact. I'm doing lab research, but I had two roomates who do clinical research, and I think it is a really valuable experience.

yes, actually I have thought about doing that. However, I'm not sure how to go about getting a job. Any suggestions?

I have been working in a medical reference laboratory since I graduated three years ago. The pay is sufficient for rent and a few luxuries. There is always a shortage of qualified workers so it is easy to get a job. You just need a degree in a pertinent field like Biology or Chemistry. If you happen to be a Med Tech it is even easier and the pay is better. The best thing though is that you get to work in an often overlooked portion of the medical field. I have learned a lot more in a real lab than I ever did in those hokey labs required for my degree.
I work for ARUP which is located only in Utah but there are a lot of big labs like Quest or LabOne that should be in Cali.