what are ure chances of derm after a medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMresident

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have tried to apply to derm residency AFTER their three years of medicine training? Ive heard its harder because of medicare funding .... is this true? if so what can we do about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Poor. I guess you can offer to work for free. Not sure if it actually helps with funding issues.

IMresident, the funding is different for dermatology if you are a DO or MD. Allopathic-trained physicians seem to have a harder time being accepted when they have completed another residency due to Medicare funding. It seems DO residencies actually value someone who has completed more training--I am not a DO so I do not know much about this route. This is just my observation.

That being said, there is a chance for both allopathic and osteopathic routes. You still need high board scores/class rank for either. If you are an M.D., you could call some of the large programs, like Emory and Mayo, b/c they are not so reliant on MC funding (at least a few years ago).

You can also check "dermboard". There are often suggestions about how to obtain a residency, such as doing a research fellowship. Again, you would want to have high scores, etc before you take a fellowship; otherwise, you may be doing grunt work for 2 years while you continuously get passed over.

Anyways, good luck.