What are the typical radiology research topics during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzz1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, how important is it these days to do some radiology-related research in medical school in order to match into rads residency? Does it only matter if you want to match in a top-tier academic residency? If so, must it be radiology related or can it be other areas of medicine?

Second, what types of topics is considered good radiology research materials at the medical school level? Is it all quantum physics electron spinning type of stuff? I hope not. What about computer/programming related topics? like research on PACS, medical informatics, computer graphics for 3-D imaging etc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Research only helps at very specific programs that are genuinely interested in academic/research radiology, particularly places with a research track position in the match. I have been amazed that I have interviewed at certain excellent programs and they asked me nothing about my research.

There are a fair number of MD/PhD's interviewing for these positions, but only a third have done genuine radiology research. I think it is more important to acquire the research skill set, which these candidates all have, plus they may be well-positioned for molecular imaging work. So, any type of research is helpful and computer programming skills, for example, are direly needed in certain areas of radiology at the moment (but PACS is kind of boring!).

bosky said:
Research only helps at very specific programs that are genuinely interested in academic/research radiology, particularly places with a research track position in the match. I have been amazed that I have interviewed at certain excellent programs and they asked me nothing about my research.

There are a fair number of MD/PhD's interviewing for these positions, but only a third have done genuine radiology research. I think it is more important to acquire the research skill set, which these candidates all have, plus they may be well-positioned for molecular imaging work. So, any type of research is helpful and computer programming skills, for example, are direly needed in certain areas of radiology at the moment (but PACS is kind of boring!).

What are those areas of Rads in need of computer programmings skills? Can you please elaborate?

bosky said:

There are a fair number of MD/PhD's interviewing for these positions, but only a third have done genuine radiology research.

Are you saying there are a fair number of MD/PhDs applying into rads in general or moreso to the research-heavy academic programs. Also, g'luck on the trail. :thumbup: