What are the steps of becoming an obstetrician?

hs002457

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in grade 11 and I want to get into med school to become an obstetrician. What courses should I take in high school and undergrad to prepare and still maintain good marks for med school?

Also, I dropped grade 11 chemistry because it was too hard for me. Is chemistry critical to to go to med school and become an OB? Should I make sure to take it even through summer school?

plzzz help"

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Start reading this thread first. After having a basic understanding of pre-medical work you should be doing in high school, read this thread about the pre-medical work you should be doing in college.

If you are from Canada, proceed to Premed191

Wish you luck.

I am in grade 11 and I want to get into med school to become an obstetrician. What courses should I take in high school and undergrad to prepare and still maintain good marks for med school?

Also, I dropped grade 11 chemistry because it was too hard for me. Is chemistry critical to to go to med school and become an OB? Should I make sure to take it even through summer school?

plzzz help"

The general path is as follows:

4 years of undergrad
4 years of medical school
4 years (I think, maybe 5) of OB/GYN residency

Sorry to say it, but a good foundation in chemistry is very important. You'll get to some classes where the principles of biology and chemistry mesh together interchangeably and you need to have a mastery of the the core principles. It's one of those classes you're just going to keep using, so you really do want to get good at it early. :oops:

As for recommended courses... In high school, take things you enjoy and make sure you get a solid foundation in your sciences. As mentioned above, the classes you take later build on the principles you learn early on so don't neglect anything. But don't feel like you only need to take sciences. I enjoyed creative writing and sculpture/ceramics so I took electives in those my senior year of HS.

In college, do more of the above. Make sure you get your medical school pre-requisites in, but major in something you enjoy. Get some good clinical experience in and do some volunteering with a group that you find fulfilling. Have fun.