What are the options in USA, after MDS in INDIA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red0852

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am in my final year MDS in Orthodontics. I am coming to USA on H4( dependent ) VISA. Now what are my chances of practicing Dentistry in USA. What options do I have? Should I need to write any exams? or Should I have to study again to practice dentistry in USA? So far I have spent 9 years in studying, and I have no intention of studying further. Please help me out here, any advice's would be appreciated,.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I am in the same boat.. Pls let me know if u got any idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of my own curiosity, why are y'all moving to the USA? Considering the following:

1. You have almost completed school in India, earning you a profession thats make a living and serves a group of people in need
2. It takes 6-7 more years of dental school (4 DDS + 2-3 for ortho)

Having family in the US or a poor quality of life would be the only things that would drive me to complete that much schooling again just to move to another country.

Currently pursuing MDS in Endodontics...Need a help regarding options available in USA after completion of MDS...

Out of my own curiosity, why are y'all moving to the USA? Considering the following:

1. You have almost completed school in India, earning you a profession thats make a living and serves a group of people in need
2. It takes 6-7 more years of dental school (4 DDS + 2-3 for ortho)

Having family in the US or a poor quality of life would be the only things that would drive me to complete that much schooling again just to move to another country.
It is just two years to have a DDS or DMD. I do too believe it is unfair.

Hi everyone
I am in my final year MDS in Orthodontics. I am coming to USA on H4( dependent ) VISA. Now what are my chances of practicing Dentistry in USA. What options do I have? Should I need to write any exams? or Should I have to study again to practice dentistry in USA? So far I have spent 9 years in studying, and I have no intention of studying further. Please help me out here, any advice's would be appreciated,.
Unfortunantely, you will have to study in the US either an MS which would limit you to 5-6 states or DMD/DDS which would allow you to practice anywhere in US. With ortho from India you cannot practice here. DDS would be your best best for a gauranteed bright future. Best of luck

Last edited:
Currently pursuing MDS in Endodontics...Need a help regarding options available in USA after completion of MDS...
AGAIN You will have to study in the US either an MS which would limit you to 5-6 states or DMD/DDS which would allow you to practice anywhere in US. With MDS from India you cannot practice here. DDS would be your best best for a gauranteed bright future. Best of luck

Last edited:
Thnk U Manthara for the rply....What requirements do they ask for MS programme?