what are the 'easiet' derm programs to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm probably a below average student in my class in terms of clinical grades, no research, no major activities, step 1 slightly below national mean. would derm be out of the question? i was thinking of derm but stats aren't great at all. is there a list of accredited programs that may be noname non-university affiliated/middle of nowhere that may be easier to get in? also, anyone done the internal med 3years + derm route? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
Hi,

I'm probably a below average student in my class in terms of clinical grades, no research, no major activities, step 1 slightly below national mean. would derm be out of the question? i was thinking of derm but stats aren't great at all. is there a list of accredited programs that may be noname non-university affiliated/middle of nowhere that may be easier to get in? also, anyone done the internal med 3years + derm route? thanks.

There are no easy derm program to get into. Getting into a Derm residency is very competitive and the number of slots available each year is low (this is probably the most difficult residency to get into). There are about 300 some Derm openings per year. Over half of Derm applicants have great grades, great USMLE scores, elected to AOA, and have done research or published. Some of these OUTSTANDING applicants do NOT match! Therefore, just getting into ANY Derm program (name or no-name) is a privilege and very fortunate honor.

Go ahead and apply if Derm is what you want to do. But honestly, your stats do not sound impressive and you have not done anything that will set yourself apart from your peers (ie, research, publications, high USMLE scores, Noble peace prize, etc). I'm sorry to say but your chances of matching in Derm appear low.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that there's simply no easy way to get a Derm slot. Obviously, some residencies are more competitive than others, but even the least "attractive" residency is HIGHLY competitive. So a backup-plan may be prudent. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a girl who graduated in 03, great grades, aoa, good interview, etc, etc, etc...didn't match.

If you don't have the grades, why set yourself up for heartbreak?? Be realistic...if you aren't really competitive, you aren't getting a derm spot.

when we're talking grades, what specifically are we talking about? pre-clinical, clinical, both? and what qualifies as great?

bulldog said:
Hi,
also, anyone done the internal med 3years + derm route? thanks.

I have a professor that went that route and then also added pathology. If derm is your hearts desire you will get there somehow.

yea, what exactly does "great grades" mean.... besides high step 1 obviously, what other grades are important? third and fourth year grades? what about first and second year?

does it really matter how many classes you honor during your first two years????

goodies said:
yea, what exactly does "great grades" mean.... besides high step 1 obviously, what other grades are important? third and fourth year grades? what about first and second year?

does it really matter how many classes you honor during your first two years????
There is no specific answer to this.An applicant to Derm will be competing against many top candidates,so one would need to have distinguished themselves in med school.Grades during the clinical and preclinical years will both count.Board scores,research and of course... getting to know the right people will be a big asset.A deficiency in one area would need to be offset in another.Not everyone who gets into Derm was AOA or at the top of their class but everyone who gets in has something very compelling going for them.