what are the differences between MPH and MBA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicoloco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international medical graduate and I would like to know the differences between MPH and MBA..which one is better?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

medicoloco said:
I am an international medical graduate and I would like to know the differences between MPH and MBA..which one is better?? Thanks

A Masters in Public Health will allow you to learn more about epidemiology and biostatistics, health policy, health decision-making and behavior, improvement of health care, environmental health sciences, social and behavioral science, health services administration.

A Masters in Business Administration will allow you to learn about health if you take a MBA in Health Care or Health Care Management. I'm not sure if you're referring to a regular MBA or one of those. The MBA in Health Care is more useful for management and the economics of health care.

I would suggest taking a MPH vs. the MBA because it will allow you to learn much more about the health care concepts and ethics you touched in medical school, but it all depends on which area of medicine you want to actually go into. If you prefer to do management in a hospital or something, then a MBA could be more useful, but I still suggest the MPH.

Thanks chekamundo for the explanation. I am interested in the management of the hospital or pharmaceutical company so I think an MBA in health care will be more useful, right?
The big question is which one will help me to make more money, MPH or MBA?

Members don't see this ad :)
medicoloco said:
Thanks chekamundo for the explanation. I am interested in the management of the hospital or pharmaceutical company so I think an MBA in health care will be more useful, right?
The big question is which one will help me to make more money, MPH or MBA?
An MBA with a conc in healthcare and an MPH in health management would most likely provide you with the same opportunities, and therefore similar salaries. Most of the hospital executives (CEO,COO,CFO,etc) around my area seem to have an MBA, so this may be the best option if you want to get into hospital management.

Thanks bbas for the information. Do you know any web side where I can see the MBA in health care programs?

Thanks bbas again. I have been told that there are programs with MBA/MPH together...do you know any web side about it?? one more question.. which one do I need to take for get into those programs GMAT or GRE?? thanks

Most if not all public health schools offer the MPH/MBA option. The link below lists all of the accredited public health schools in the US, so you could probably find out more info about the MPH/MBA degree by visiting each school's site.

http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200

As far as admissions tests, MPH programs require either the MCAT or GRE, while all MBA programs require the GMAT. I'm not sure whether you would need to take both for the joint MBA/MPH program, but that info could be easily found on the website for each school.

Is MHA and MBA the same thing? which one is better??

medicoloco said:
Is MHA and MBA the same thing? which one is better??

Hihi!

It's been a long time since I've posted here! To answer your question... An MBA focuses usually on traditional business applications, and is applicable in a broad number of areas. An MHA is very similar but is much more narrowly-focused towards the management of healthcare organizations including hospitals, managed care, etc. While an MBA with a healthcare emphasis may offer you some of this training, you might miss out on some other things unique to the healthcare arena (such as classes in how the US healthcare system is currently structured, etc. - an MBA program might not teach you that.)

Also, many of the classes are similar but with a different focus. For example, you will have to take accounting in both programs, but an MBA might emphasize more traditional accounting principles and ideas (such as inventory management), while an MHA will focus on more specific things (such as medicaid reimbursement, endowment funds, etc.) An MHA will also give you some classes in the core public health fields such as epidemiology, health education, etc.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to write back!