What are the class schedules for optometry like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eager2Bdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have desired to be in the field of medicine for as long as I can remember, however after volunteering in a hospital I was turned off by the hectic life of the doctors. So I started looking at becoming a dentist but someone told me that the med students get out of class at noon at some schools so they can devote more time for study. The person I spoke to happened to be a visiting dentist who was speaking at our schools pre-dental society. He stated that he envyed the med students because as a dental student you were forced to stay to perform labs until late in the night. He said he never got much time for studying unless he didn't sleep because he was often making molds of teeth until 11:00 at night. I don't know if this is true for everyone but it made me start wondering what the other fields of study are like. Could you tell me what the courses and course work and schedule is like for students of optometry?

Members don't see this ad.

I certainly hope you're not deciding your future career based on stupid class schedules. That said, most opt schools are somewhere around 8-5 every day. That's not including time you have to spend on your own practicing in lab and studying for tests.

May I ask why you want to do medicine/similar fields?

I agree with what JMU07 said...

That said, here at Nova, our Health Professions Division has Optometry, Dental, Medicine, Pharmacy, PA, Nursing, OT/PT/... there are a few others that I can't remember.. point is, in Optometry we share a few general classes with dental (gen anatomy and physiology), and the dental students spoke about how much more difficult OUR schedule was (tests/classes, etc) than theirs...

Our schedule was basically 8-5 M-F incl labs and lectures... not including time needed to practice procedures, etc... Third year is variable... fourth year is full-time working either in clinic or externship sites..but no more classes or labs.