What are the chances of acceptance after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danse macabre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got a couple of interviews, and was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted. Does it still depend on my gpa and mcat? does an interview mean acceptance unless you mess it up big time? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are pretty good. They want to make sure you are a well rounded person.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewing skills are not that strong and I still was accepted to both schools I interviewed at; mostly because I was able to keep a conversation going, and I knew which questions they would ask during the interviews. The best thing you can do is look at the interview feedback here on SDN to prepare yourself. From what I have read from older posts it seems like you have a pretty good chance of acceptance once you are invited for an interview.

I'm glad that you guys think i have a good shot, also thnks for ur responses. But I was wondering how much my stats can affect my acceptance? specially that it is a bit late in the cycle. Am I on the same level as everyone else who got interviews, or can I still get rejected cuz others have better stats than me?

I'm glad that you guys think i have a good shot, also thnks for ur responses. But I was wondering how much my stats can affect my acceptance? specially that it is a bit late in the cycle. Am I on the same level as everyone else who got interviews, or can I still get rejected cuz others have better stats than me?

You need to take a deep breath and congratulate yourself for getting an interview. That is a HUGE accomplishment. The rule of thumb is if you get an interview, admission committee feels your "stats" are good enough to get in, and they want to meet you and evaluate you on a personal level. Could you still get rejected after your interview bc ppl have better stats (or you bomb the interview), the answer is yes, especially if it's a smaller school whose class is almost full. But you have an opportunity to let your personality and desire for medicine over shadow any "red flags" you may or may not have. Remember that.

The best advice I can give you is not worry about other ppl's stats, and just focus on preparing for the interview. Look up questions that each school has a tendency to ask and practice your answers. You do that all this and you'll get in! If you only focus on what others bring to the table and not yourself, then you are handicapping yourself to succeed at what will be your best opportunity to shine as an applicant. In conclusion, hit a home run at the interview and you'll be fine!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you interviewing at?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering if this is one of the first years where the classes are filling up so soon? And the people who have gotten in so far this month or last month, what have your stats been?

Just wondering if this is one of the first years where the classes are filling up so soon? And the people who have gotten in so far this month or last month, what have your stats been?

Take a gander at the accepted applicants stats page.

You need to take a deep breath and congratulate yourself for getting an interview. That is a HUGE accomplishment. The rule of thumb is if you get an interview, admission committee feels your "stats" are good enough to get in, and they want to meet you and evaluate you on a personal level. Could you still get rejected after your interview bc ppl have better stats (or you bomb the interview), the answer is yes, especially if it's a smaller school whose class is almost full. But you have an opportunity to let your personality and desire for medicine over shadow any "red flags" you may or may not have. Remember that.

The best advice I can give you is not worry about other ppl's stats, and just focus on preparing for the interview. Look up questions that each school has a tendency to ask and practice your answers. You do that all this and you'll get in! If you only focus on what others bring to the table and not yourself, then you are handicapping yourself to succeed at what will be your best opportunity to shine as an applicant. In conclusion, hit a home run at the interview and you'll be fine!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you interviewing at?
Hey dude, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm gonna reasearch all the interview questions and get ready for this. I'm interviewing at Barry and Sam Merritt. Barry's class is pretty big, right?

No problem! I do believe Barry has a large class but I'm not entirely sure. Don't count yourself out for Sam Merrit either. Good luck and rock those interviews!

When are you interviewing at Barry? I am going there on the 22nd of March.

No, I replied 30 minutes after getting the email for the 15th, but I was too late. Now I have the 22nd. I think what really matters is how the interview goes. Just be sure to show them why you want to be a Podiatrist, why you will fit into the school, and asking thoughtful questions about the school. I think you have a great chance of getting in. Don't stress.

In another thread you indicated that your GPA is a 2.5. That puts you below the lowest scores accepted by the majority of the schools in a past cycle. I don't see the point is worrying about this because there's nothing you can do about it, but to go in believing this is a sure thing would be unwise. From a population perspective the majority of students will get in to a school somewhere, but we are evaluated as individuals and there are people who get rejected every year. I would be doing everything I could to prepare for possible hard ball questions about your GPA. What are you doing differently now that will allow you to succeed in a situation that will be far more challenging than undergrad. Podiatry admissions is not like medical school admissions. Schools offer interviews to virtually everyone (with a small amount of pre-screening) because they don't know who is actually interested in them and who will even come to the interview. You've survived the pre-screening. Its a step forward. Be prepared to put your best foot forward.

In another thread you indicated that your GPA is a 2.5. That puts you below the lowest scores accepted by the majority of the schools in a past cycle. I don't see the point is worrying about this because there's nothing you can do about it, but to go in believing this is a sure thing would be unwise. From a population perspective the majority of students will get in to a school somewhere, but we are evaluated as individuals and there are people who get rejected every year. I would be doing everything I could to prepare for possible hard ball questions about your GPA. What are you doing differently now that will allow you to succeed in a situation that will be far more challenging than undergrad. Podiatry admissions is not like medical school admissions. Schools offer interviews to virtually everyone (with a small amount of pre-screening) because they don't know who is actually interested in them and who will even come to the interview. You've survived the pre-screening. Its a step forward. Be prepared to put your best foot forward.

I recall seeing gpa as low as 2.35 on the podiatry catalog

Im saying right now in the cycle? Someone got in with a 2.5 gpa, what was their mcat score?