what are the books used in 2nd year...UERM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milkyway1417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! i was wondering what specific books are used in 2nd year med in UE? Can someone please give me the titles and authors of books used...i'm planning to buy some before i go back to phil. tnx!

Members don't see this ad.

HI! i was wondering what specific books are used in 2nd year med in UE? Can someone please give me the titles and authors of books used...i'm planning to buy some before i go back to phil. tnx!

go to www.pinoy.md They have a thread on UERM and you can ask questions about the books

Thanks Medic101 for starting such an invaluable, informative thread!

I'm currently thinking of applying to UE. I read through this whole thread (such an att'n grabber!), and I appreciate the reality check with the whole process and how it actually is over there since I don't have the means to visit UE in person.

What bothers me, and if anyone can update, please, are these mentioned things:

-false advertising with guarantee to U.S. rotations?
-being hindered in Step 1 prep due to education structure..

Also, I want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be, both to succeed in the PI school system and to excel in my MLE's.

I was wondering if I can get your guys' opinion. I majored in Biochemistry and graduated already, but I am currently taking classes through the extension program at my University.
In addition to the Biochemistry, Biology, Physiology and Nutrition courses I have taken in Undergrad, in extension I'm planning to take:-Immunology, -Endocrinology, -Pharmacology/Toxicology, -Microbiology. It might be overkill, but I want to be prepared.

I am doing this in hopes that I can be able to fare well on the Step 1 come the end of second year at UE, while passing (hopefully performing well in) the classes there.

Also, what if I study for the Step 1 even before I get there? Would you think this is even plausible? I have MP3's from the Golgan lectures, and much of the material seems beyond me as of now, but I'm hoping that after the extra courses I mentioned above, I'd be more familiar...
Or- Is it a bad idea, like is the material taught in med school truly beyond anything I've been exposed to in undergraduate level coursework? I've scanned through Kaplan's "usmle step 1 med essentials" which presents high yield stuff, and in seeing the biochem/cell bio/genetics, it doesn't seem so bad- for those sections at least, but when it comes to gross anatomy and pathology, I'm lost, and it's this type of material I fear will occupy my time (memorizing) in PI style teaching (basically the actual clinical 'non-hard science' type material)

Specifically, what is the general focus of PI's med school curriculi? Medic101 mentioned "emphasis on memorization" and that the MLE handicap stems from the fact that there is no more PBL (in UE).
Do you think that if I continually review for Step 1 during schooling there, it would be enough (to take step after 2nd year)? Is this the "parallel studying" you guys speak of?
What additional things can I do to better prepare for the PI style teaching?

It was mentioned that many of the students are nursing grads with extensive clinical experience and knowledge.. pretty intimidating! That combined with how my family always emphasizes how hard locals study, and how they are used to it. If I'm struggling to keep up with PI style teaching, how can I "parallel study for Step 1" (in time for test > 2nd year) if there is so much else to memorize and study for? What does parallel studying even mean really? This is why I'm asking if I should review it before I go, and if it's even possible to do so..

Sorry for the disembodied structure of my post, I know I asked many questions..- but long entries compose much of this thread anyway.. Hope to hear from you guys, and g'luck with your studying! :)