What are some good FP residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

save10

Doctors do it better
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year medstudent who's interested in FP, but is sorta cluless on good residencies. I've look at Scutwork (not too many reviews), I've looked at indiviual sites, etc, but there are so many programs and its hard to tell which is a good one. Of course there are many factors that go into this so and any input would be appreciated. I'm especially interested in hearing from current residents or 4th years who are applying or not applying to certain programs.....p.s. I'm looking at staying out west.

cheers
save10

Members don't see this ad.

it depends if you want a traditional or rural based/extended scope program. I am currently interested in the rural/extended scope variety. in that group good programs on the west coast are
ventura county(ca)
contacosta county(ca)
natividad medical center(ca)
tacoma family medicine(wa)
spokane family medicine(rural track)(wa)
cascades east(ohsu rural track)(or)
these programs include trauma and er experience as well as high risk ob with c-section training.

if you want a traditional fp program in california, I have experience with the kaiser riverside program and recommend it highly.more competitive programs will be unopposed, meaning no other residencies in that hospital or medical ctr. good luck-e

lots of good information at:

http://www.aafp.org/residencies/

as emedpa said, it depends what you want from a program. How much OB do you want? How much endoscopy? rural vs urban? peds? office surg? other procedures? ICU?

You can joing aafp as a student for dirt cheap. you get a great journal 2x per month. aafp web site is full of great info, some restricted to members.