what are some cutting edge advances in ardiology right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copacetic

Copacetic Was Here!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im curious as to where the future of cardiology is going in terms of devices. i heard a couple months back that we successfully grew an animal heart! is this true? what else is going on out there, it all sounds pretty cool. lets get a discussion going.

Members don't see this ad.

im curious as to where the future of cardiology is going in terms of devices. i heard a couple months back that we successfully grew an animal heart! is this true? what else is going on out there, it all sounds pretty cool. lets get a discussion going.

Cardiac MRI sequences are creating improved quality and shorter study times, biplane cath labs allow the interventional cardiologist to essentially do a cardiac CT while in the lab, magnetic guided cath labs are appearing, etc.

most of this stuff seems to be in imaging modalities. what about devices and techniques?

Members don't see this ad :)
Percutaneous Aortic Valve Replacement
Mitral Valve edge to edge repair
Percutaneous LVADs
Improved Afib ablation

Granted, some of these are not brand new but they are getting closer and closer to becoming mainstream.

Magnetocardiography - visualization of the magnetic fields produced by the heart.

So, if you remember from physics, every emf produces a magnetic field. So is true in the heart. Using super cooled systems like Superconducting Quantum Interference Device (SQUID) the magnetic fields can be measured without touching a pt. It is supposed to compliment and not replace ecg.

http://butler.cc.tut.fi/~malmivuo/bem/bembook/20/20.htm

though it sounds like overkill. all these new technologies, are they any better than what we already have.

i heard their doing valve replacements in the cath lab now! thats nuts!