What are red flags in a residency interview that a program is malignant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subtle or otherwise

Members don't see this ad.

Let’s say a specialty not known for being malignant, like ROAD specialties

I don't think you're going to get specific answers. I'm EM. If residents don't show up for the lunch, or look haggard, or say outright that they are being worked hard, or too hard, those would be signs. However, I can't say for others.

But, I'll tell you - like Dennis Nedry says in Jurassic Park, "Nobody cares!" Being cagey about something so basic, as I said, probably won't get you too much that is helpful.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think you're going to get specific answers. I'm EM. If residents don't show up for the lunch, or look haggard, or say outright that they are being worked hard, or too hard, those would be signs. However, I can't say for others.

But, I'll tell you - like Dennis Nedry says in Jurassic Park, "Nobody cares!" Being cagey about something so basic, as I said, probably won't get you too much that is helpful.
I think the things you mentioned would be applicable to any specialty, not just EM. If I get too specific I won’t get many answers. It’s especially difficult this year since all interviews are virtual, so I just wanted people’s input on general signs of malignancy. Not trying to be “cagey”

Reactions: 1 user
I think the things you mentioned would be applicable to any specialty, not just EM. If I get too specific I won’t get many answers. It’s especially difficult this year since all interviews are virtual, so I just wanted people’s input on general signs of malignancy. Not trying to be “cagey”
I don't know how the virtual interviews are being conducted, so, that is a point to consider for which I have no expertise. Also, I'm not sure (from a theoretical viewpoint) how much can be revealed in a virtual interview that isn't flagrant.

So, I guess it's an uninformed shrug from me. Sorry, dude/dudette!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I’d rely much less on interview interactions and more on reputation. You can stumble across interview impressions on this forum and others, and if you see that concerns are brought up, especially more than once, I’d consider them.

It was much easier to determine if programs had issues on auditions. I went to one place where I had more than one resident outright tell me “j4pac, you seem like a good guy...don’t come here...it sucks.” But aside from that...I’m in PM&R, so it’s not particularly easy to find a malignant program. But there are shades of malignancy...a spectrum from residents being overworked or scutted out extending to outright abuse. You don’t need to be constantly exhausted and burnt out to get a good education in PM&R. Medical professionals are typically horribly self aware...especially when it comes to burn out/mental health. So I’d keep my eye out for residents demonstrating subtle concerns of burn out. Do many of the residents appear exhausted? Do many of the residents not appear to be happy? Do residents tell you that their resident is “hard”? Or do they say that the hours are “long”? I’d get them to clarify what they mean. If it is hard because the patient complexity is intense and good for learning...that’s fine. But if it is hard because residents feel they are on an island without support, they feel under appreciated, and overworked, clearly that’s not a good thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably #1 red flag is if they don't let the applicants spend some time alone with the current residents.

No idea how that goes with the current covid environment though.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly,

Outside of the major red flags mentioned above I’m not exactly sure how to sniff other, well-hidden, red flags out.

My program was beyond awesome at the interview day. Lo and behold it’s massively malignant and I regret ranking it where I did.

Truthfully, unless I attended here for med school, I’m not exactly sure how I would of even gotten the scoop on all of this stupidity back when I applied.

Sucks majorly, but sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

GL op

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Honestly,

Outside of the major red flags mentioned above I’m not exactly sure how to sniff other, well-hidden, red flags out.

My program was beyond awesome at the interview day. Lo and behold it’s massively malignant and I regret ranking it where I did.

Truthfully, unless I attended here for med school, I’m not exactly sure how I would of even gotten the scoop on all of this stupidity back when I applied.

Sucks majorly, but sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

GL op
Agree - often there is no way to know up front.

It reminds me of my previous job - I had the choice to choose between two teams and asked others for advice. No one was straight with me but some people actively recommended one of the teams so I joined that one. Turns out it was super toxic and drove me to the edge with a decent amount of paranoia/watching my back. When I finally left, multiple people told me that the previous member of the team had also left because of the same problems. Honestly my jaw dropped. These were the same people that recommended the team in the first place!

I'd say with online interviews the best thing you can do is go with your gut. Also try to get the phone number or emails of any of the residents and talk to them offline. Again, they probably won't be totally honest but sometimes will give subtle hints.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users