What are normal cholesterol levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was having an argument with my friend so I want to ask the smart people of SDN, would an HDL level of 46 be good for a 52yo woman? How about a man of the same age? I thought that levels for woman should be >50 and for men >40 but my friend told me I was mistaken. Can someone please clear this up..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was having an argument with my friend so I want to ask the smart people of SDN, would an HDL level of 46 be good for a 52yo woman? How about a man of the same age? I thought that levels for woman should be >50 and for men >40 but my friend told me I was mistaken. Can someone please clear this up..

uptodate is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user
If you find the info in uptodate post it here bcuz I couldn't find it for you. BUT, the guideline for CHD/CVD treatment is an HDL of >40, so I imagine that anything over 40 for males and females would be perfectly fine. According to Goljan RR, high level HDL is >60 and is optimal, while low levels are HDL <40 and is suboptimal and thus increases risk for CHD. Doesn't say anything about male v. female, so I think your friend is probably right.