MD & DO What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erotas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is pretty thorough so bear with me if you can. I'm currently in my senior year of undergrad studying Biochemistry at my state school and considering applying to SMPs with hope of later getting into an MD or DO med school (most likely DO because of grade replacement with a few F's/D's, Caribbean MD is not at all out of the question). My stats aren't really good (my GPA is subject to change (barely) with grades from this current semester and the next):

cGPA: 2.831
sGPA: 2.586
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, but looking at a Spring 2014 test date (from practice tests I'm looking at projections of >31, surprisingly enough...I'm certain that this will also make my low GPA look even worse)
ECs: >150 hours volunteering at local hospital, >150 hours university research, a summer (>200 hours) doing clinical research in Anesthesia and Critical Care at a top research hospital, EMT-B licensure and work experience, multiple leadership positions in my fraternity, member of a unique and competitive research-based science program, worked my university's info desk which saw thousands of people per day
LORs: As of now, I can get 3 or 4 letters that are guaranteed to be good (from a well-respected MD, my research PI, volunteer coordinator, and advisors)

So what do you guys think...am I a lost cause? I obviously did not apply to any medical schools this cycle (making me a non-trad), but I was wondering what my best course of action would be at this point? Would an SMP be viable for me? I would apply this coming January for matriculation after I finish my undergrad, in a perfect world. Also, I would be sending in my MCAT significantly later than the rest of my application (is this normal?). If SMP is not my best route, then what is? I really appreciate any feedback, I am really stressing out right now :dead: I am also a 21 year old white MA resident, if that means anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
An SMP will work if you do well in it. Be warned that this is a huge risk. Not only are they incredibly expensive, an SMP is a worthless degree if you don't perform extremely well.

I'm not sure you would even get into a SMP with those GPAs. Have you spent time reading in the post bacc threads? You might get some good information there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You would most likely not gain acceptance to an SMP with any sort of linkage. SMPs are a dime a dozen, however, finding one with linkage to a medical school is more of a chore. Your best bet would be a post-bacc consisting of retakes and upper-div science classes followed by an SMP.

OP the vast majority of SMPs and graduate schools (which include SMPs) require a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply.

Some SMPs have lower minimums (around 2.75) but remember that is still a minimum. Most MD SMP students have a 3.2 GPA or higher with a competitive MCAT (28+).

Your best option would be to do a postbacc and take advantage of DO grade replacement. Retake courses where you scored a C or below and raise your GPA to above 3.0.

You would most likely not gain acceptance to an SMP with any sort of linkage. SMPs are a dime a dozen, however, finding one with linkage to a medical school is more of a chore. Your best bet would be a post-bacc consisting of retakes and upper-div science classes followed by an SMP.

OP the vast majority of SMPs and graduate schools (which include SMPs) require a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply.

Some SMPs have lower minimums (around 2.75) but remember that is still a minimum. Most MD SMP students have a 3.2 GPA or higher with a competitive MCAT (28+).

Your best option would be to do a postbacc and take advantage of DO grade replacement. Retake courses where you scored a C or below and raise your GPA to above 3.0.

Post-bacc seems like it would be my best option right now from what y'all are saying. I am not exactly that knowledgable on post-baccs, though. Are they formal programs with universities that you have to apply to, or can you just sign up for these retakes/classes at any institution you wish? Would one year of post-bacc be sufficient for DO schools if I did manage to retake classes I did poorly in and raise my GPA to above 3.0 in that year? Or would I need further work on top of that such as a masters (all assuming I actually do score above a 31 MCAT like I'm hoping)?

You can do it at any school. I'm currently doing mine at a local 4-year college. Nobody can tell you if one year is enough. You will need to calculate the retakes and see what it does to your GPA. Play with different scenarios and see how it affects your GPAs.

Just one tip: you have a 2.8 cGPA and a 2.5sGPA...there were obviously deficiencies in your studying/knowledge base in undergrad. Before you start retaking classes, do some soul searching and figure out why you did so poorly. I finished undergrad with a 3.0 and a 2.8X sGPA, however I realized my own flaws and have so far taken 20 credits at a 3.9 s+cGPA. You need to fix the mistakes of the past, and make sure you don't fall into the same traps. It will be pointless to retake classes and only squeak out a 3.2 post-bacc GPA.

This site is filled with good, bad, and mediocre information. Sift through it all, ask questions, and keep pushing through with this marathon. You're only 21 (coincidentally, same as me)- so I know it feels like it will take forever- but just focus on one thing at a time, and it'll happen.

Post-bacc---> grade repair ---> apply DO because they will take your replacement grade and nix the bad former grade (MD will not eliminate the old grade so your GPA will be too hard to repair for MD)

Post-bacc---> grade repair ---> apply DO because they will take your replacement grade and nix the bad former grade (MD will not eliminate the old grade so your GPA will be too hard to repair for MD)
I can't agree more than this.. Grade replacement system saved me so much..