What are my options as a URM with my stats? What can I do to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dstmf4657

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all who have taken the time to read my post. I am feeling a bit dejected at the moment with my current situation in regards to school. As stated in the title, I'm a URM (Salvadorian female).

I've got a paltry 3.24 gpa, and have taken only one science course (bio) in which I received a C- (will retake). I have 4 W's on my transcript and will likely have a 5th by the end of the semester, as I'm struggling to balance a course (bio 1) and having to take care of a family member who has a broken arm and doesn't speak English very well. I have two more years left of school and will graduate at 24/25. The C- is my lowest grade, my other grades are A/A-'s or B+/-. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I haven't taken the required classes for a medical school application.

The W's can be explained by the several family losses that have happened within the last two years, and having to pick up more hours at my job to support myself and my family since my mother has gotten very sick and is unable to keep a job. I have also been part-time for the majority of my undergrad career as I have to help out at home with money. I will hopefully be full-time for the remainder of my schooling starting next semester.

I'm currently applying for volunteering positions at my local hospital. My current job is as a mail clerk and nothing to write home about. I don't think it neither helps or hurts my resume.

My questions are:
- Should I switch my major? (Currently a bio major dreading the entire thing, I think that switching my major to something I actually enjoy could help me boost my GPA).
- Should I consider something else other than medicine? (Any advice for a backup plan?)
- What can I do for a stronger application (I would definitely consider doing a masters program to bring my GPA up, or anything else suggested).

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to read my post. I am feeling a bit dejected at the moment with my current situation in regards to school. As stated in the title, I'm a URM (Salvadorian female).

I've got a paltry 3.24 gpa, and have taken only one science course (bio) in which I received a C- (will retake). I have 4 W's on my transcript and will likely have a 5th by the end of the semester, as I'm struggling to balance a course (bio 1) and having to take care of a family member who has a broken arm and doesn't speak English very well. I have two more years left of school and will graduate at 24/25. The C- is my lowest grade, my other grades are A/A-'s or B+/-. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I haven't taken the required classes for a medical school application.

The W's can be explained by the several family losses that have happened within the last two years, and having to pick up more hours at my job to support myself and my family since my mother has gotten very sick and is unable to keep a job. I have also been part-time for the majority of my undergrad career as I have to help out at home with money. I will hopefully be full-time for the remainder of my schooling starting next semester.

I'm currently applying for volunteering positions at my local hospital. My current job is as a mail clerk and nothing to write home about. I don't think it neither helps or hurts my resume.

My questions are:
- Should I switch my major? (Currently a bio major dreading the entire thing, I think that switching my major to something I actually enjoy could help me boost my GPA).
- Should I consider something else other than medicine? (Any advice for a backup plan?)
- What can I do for a stronger application (I would definitely consider doing a masters program to bring my GPA up, or anything else suggested).
You may not qualify as URM
https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

All is not lost, You need to focus on your school get your GPA to 3.7 you can switch majors to something less difficult, but you will still need to complete all of the pre-reqs including organic chem. Your focus should be keeping a 4.0 frmo here onwards. Afterwards you will need score well on the MCAT.

Masters programs do not help with GPA.
You need to have a well rounded application to include volunteering and possibly research if you have your eyes on top 20 schools.

Good Luck.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

My questions are:

Members don't see this ad :)
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.
Will she count as a urm?

High MCAT Africans get in at high rates almost regardless of GPA.

At your current GPA you'd need about a 32 to have a 75 percent chance of getting in - higher if you shower, can smile, and have don't fumble disastrously in an interview.

A 32 is not that hard to obtain.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

DO is advised by others but DO shows much, much less URM "bonus points"
Her post says she is Salvadorian. I am unsure if schools even consider that urm.

Reactions: 1 user
I think she would be URM because it is based on what is the minority at the current time of application. And Salvadorian is definitely amongst URM. Also, some secondary applications allow you the opportunity to explain why you believe that you should be included as URM. I think as long as that GPA goes up and the MCAT she has a shot a DO.
But if you really want MD I would definitely do GPA increase, MCAT increase and a postbacc/SMP.

I would strengthen application rather than rely on banking on being included in a urm group when the official definition does not explicitly include me.