What are my odds - junior in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parker2413

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only a Junior in undergraduate school at the University of Alabama. I am majoring in psychology and minoring in biology on a pre-medical route. I currently am really struggling with my GPA due to not working hard enough freshman year. My overall is a 3.205 and my pre medical GPA is a 2.333 (bad i know). I still have biochemistry, organic chemistry 2 with lab, physics, cell biology, and maybe more sciences to help me bring it back up. I currently plan on getting my CNA license soon to begin logging hours in a hospital setting and will more than likely take a gap year to work and apply to med school so I can have my best possible GPA. I have already had a few shadowing experiences and received a few letters of rec. I am really interested in osteopathic medical school and want to get some opinions on what my chances are. If you have any advice at all or any helpful suggestions it is greatly appreciated! Is there anyone out there who has gotten accepted with a poor science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I still have biochemistry, organic chemistry 2 with lab, physics, cell biology, and maybe more sciences to help me bring it back up.

You do see the irony in this, right?

Getting your GPA up needs to be priority #1. Everything else needs to take a back seat to that.

Reactions: 1 users
What are your odds?

With a cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 2.3, your odds are very unlikely.
However, don't let this discourage you. You have a shot but it's going to be a long path there.
What you need to do from here on out is focus raising both your cGPA and sGPA. Your cGPA and sGPA should typically be very close to each other and generally 3.5+. You have yet to complete your pre-reqs for med school and would suggest you complete those courses and then report what your grades were as well as GPA. Not much SDN can tell you especially since you have yet to complete a lot of your courses. I wouldn't be worried about logging hours and stuff at this time. Like @DokterMom said, your GPA needs to be priority #1. Everything else can wait. Good luck to you.