What are my next steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slytherclaw6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been interested in ENT since my first year and it is still my first choice, but unfortunately I did not perform for my Step 1 (238). Have yet to take Step 2. I have a great relationship with my home ENT department and have a few publications with them and more lined up. My question is, what should my next steps be to make sure that I match? The obvious one would be to ace Step 2, but would a research year be valuable?

Members don't see this ad.

You may get interviews if your application is strong and you can make it past the screen. Prepare to potentially be auto-rejected with Step 1 <240. Apply to >60 programs and prepare for a back up. I've heard some programs have cutoffs as high as 250 (just a rumor, I have no specifics). Goodluck.

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in ENT since my first year and it is still my first choice, but unfortunately I did not perform for my Step 1 (238). Have yet to take Step 2. I have a great relationship with my home ENT department and have a few publications with them and more lined up. My question is, what should my next steps be to make sure that I match? The obvious one would be to ace Step 2, but would a research year be valuable?

The fact is no one can "make sure that [they] match". People match with Step I scores less than yours although they may need to work a bit harder at everything else they do. Keep your head up. If you really like research and you will be very productive, take a year, otherwise keep publishing on the side and nail the rest of your rotations and Step II. And when application time comes, EVERYONE needs a back up plan. Period.

Reactions: 1 user