What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ask

Scholar
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Time Traditional Applicant, at SUNY (only applying DO)
NY Resident,
(NOT a Underrepresented-minority), MALE
3.3 Cumulative/Science, strong trend
MCAT 30, V9 P12 B9
LORs from 2 Biology Professors, 1 Humanities Professor, 1-DO, 1-MD, and Committee Letter
Shadowing Experience DO and MD, Overseas Medical Volunteer Service, NO Research
Worked in Pharmacy
Applying very broadly, 15 schools.
Submitting AACOMAS in early-August.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NY Resident,
MCAT 30, 10-10-10
LORs from 2 Biology Professors, 1 Humanities Professor, 1-DO, 1-MD, and Committee Letter
Worked in Pharmacy
Applying very broadly, 20 schools.
Submitting AACOMAS in mid-August.

What are my chances?
You are competitive at all DO schools. You should have multiple acceptances with tese stats and EC...If I were you, I would apply in 15 DO schools and throw 8-10 low tiers MD into the mix...

Last edited:
You don't think I would be screened with a 3.3 GPA? My mother keeps telling me to apply to MD that theres always a chance but I'm not very confident with my GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think I would be screened with a 3.3 GPA? My mother keeps telling me to apply to MD that theres always a chance but I'm not very confident with my GPA.
I dont think low tier MD schools will screen 3.3 GPA...If you are a veteran, that would be definitely a plus.

NY Resident,
MCAT 30, 10-10-10
Worked in Pharmacy
Applying very broadly, 20 schools.
Submitting AACOMAS in mid-August.

What are my chances?

You are competitive at all DO schools. You should have multiple acceptances with tese stats and EC...If I were you, I would apply in 15 DO schools and throw 8-10 low tiers MD into the mix...

+1. Probably competitive at all except maybe Goro's school. He said they're about to be averaging a 30 MCAT and I assume their average GPA is ~3.6 too. Regardless, apply everywhere you want. No school is ouch of reach. Keep in mind some schools are undesirable for various reasons. For example, MSUCOM=$80k+ tuition, OUCOM = 5 year residency requirement, LECOM = lots of on-campus rules, RVU = for profit, etc.

Concur with the applications to DO schools, but I don't think you'll have much luck with the MD schools.

According to the AAMC - the data shows that 38.9% of applicants with your scores and GPA are accepted. That sounds like a great shot!

Source - https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf

I put together a basic article on it here - http://www.medicalschoolhq.net/mcat-scores-what-do-i-need/

~25% based on my stats... almost makes me consider opening an AMCAS profile.

except it's the end of July and I haven't gotten my DO primaries out the door yet :oops:

Those chances look very tempting however I feel the applicants with the lower gpa/mcat definitely have very strong areas in their application in other places. Strong extracurriculars, I believe my extracurricualrs/LORs are just average for an applicant. Also sometimes strong LORs from certain highly notable faculty can make a difference.

Also I wont be submitting my primaries out till mid-August, do you think that puts me at a distinct disadvantage. Also does anyone know deadlines for sending (LORs) they are sent with my committee letter by my school, in September... because I got a late interview with the committee.

Those chances look very tempting however I feel the applicants with the lower gpa/mcat definitely have very strong areas in their application in other places. Strong extracurriculars, I believe my extracurricualrs/LORs are just average for an applicant. Also sometimes strong LORs from certain highly notable faculty can make a difference.

Also I wont be submitting my primaries out till mid-August, do you think that puts me at a distinct disadvantage. Also does anyone know deadlines for sending (LORs) they are sent with my committee letter by my school, in September... because I got a late interview with the committee.

Yes for MD, not as much for DO.