What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deezgrades

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior Bioengineering major @ UCSD and am premed. I want to apply a year from June but know that my CV isn't perfect. I'm taking the MCAT in Sept.

The story:
I had a terrible freshman year (gpa<3) and ultimately spent the next year at a local junior college working on my engineering prereqs while I figured out what I actually wanted to do.

After returning to UCSD I've had a sGPA 3.4, which excludes my engineering classes in which I have exactly a 3.0 avg and my nonscience gpa of 3.2.

I have excellent ECs and I also do clinical research & volunteer @ our med center.

LOR's: I've got a great clinical (volunteer) rec and another from an MD I do research with but only have one "good" bio rec. I've got a so so one from an engineering prof. and I've got another okay rec my Spanish Lit prof.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.41

Members don't see this ad.

I am not positive as I didn't apply MD, but I think AMCAS considers engineering classes as part of the BCPM,, so your science gpa will be much lower. Honestly, if you do well on the mcat, you might be able to garnish a DO acceptance but that's very unlikely. You are pretty much out of luck for MD though. Your gpas are way too low. Maybe an smp if you want MD. Plus you are a cali resident. That puts you OOS for everywhere you might have a chance. Sorry. You need to do gpa repair.

I am not positive as I didn't apply MD, but I think AMCAS considers engineering classes as part of the BCPM,, so your science gpa will be much lower. Honestly, if you do well on the mcat, you might be able to garnish a DO acceptance but that's very unlikely. You are pretty much out of luck for MD though. Your gpas are way too low. Maybe an smp if you want MD. Plus you are a cali resident. That puts you OOS for everywhere you might have a chance. Sorry. You need to do gpa repair.
This is generally incorrect. Engineering classes are not automatically part of BCPM. However, if you believe a particular engineering course is predominantly focused on math, physics, biology or chemistry, you can list it as BCPM and AMCAS may or may not accept your classification.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is generally incorrect. Engineering classes are not automatically part of BCPM. However, if you believe a particular engineering course is predominantly focused on math, physics, biology or chemistry, you can list it as BCPM and AMCAS may or may not accept your classification.

Thought I read it somewhere, but thanks for clearing it up.