This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I just posted in here recently, but I've been considering lately adding a minor to my degree mostly to boost GPA- I'm a third year and I'm probably going to graduate fall 2019. Would this be helpful or a waste of time and money, or helpful?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know I just posted in here recently, but I've been considering lately adding a minor to my degree mostly to boost GPA- I'm a third year and I'm probably going to graduate fall 2019. Would this be helpful or a waste of time and money, or helpful?
If it doesn't change your graduation date, it's probably not a bad idea as long as you know that you can maintain good grades in your required core classes as well. Schools may also like that it shows you're more diverse (if it's in a non-science area). However, I would advise against taking up a minor if it's going to mean that you're going to graduate later.

If it doesn't change your graduation date, it's probably not a bad idea as long as you know that you can maintain good grades in your required core classes as well. Schools may also like that it shows you're more diverse (if it's in a non-science area). However, I would advise against taking up a minor if it's going to mean that you're going to graduate later.

I'm likely going to graduate a semester late because a lot of pre-reqs i need to apply to different vet schools arent included in my degree, and i also wasted a ton of credits my freshmen year before I transferred to my current school. I wanted to do an Agribussiness minor because I'm actually interested in it, but i think my advisor thinks it's a stupid idea haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm likely going to graduate a semester late because a lot of pre-reqs i need to apply to different vet schools arent included in my degree, and i also wasted a ton of credits my freshmen year before I transferred to my current school. I wanted to do an Agribussiness minor because I'm actually interested in it, but i think my advisor thinks it's a stupid idea haha
To clarify, you'll be graduating a semester late, regardless of the minor? Then I'd say that it's not harmful to pick up the minor if you're genuinely interested in it, and you know that it won't harm your other grades by overwhelming you! I almost picked up a soc minor for the same reasons. I loved it, it would've helped my cum. GPA, and it was definitely easy enough to not put my biology/pre-req classes at risk.

To clarify, you'll be graduating a semester late, regardless of the minor? Then I'd say that it's not harmful to pick up the minor if you're genuinely interested in it, and you know that it won't harm your other grades by overwhelming you! I almost picked up a soc minor for the same reasons. I loved it, it would've helped my cum. GPA, and it was definitely easy enough to not put my biology/pre-req classes at risk.

Yes, that's what I'm saying haha- unless i heavily overload next summer I will be a semester late lol. I've just reeally wanted to add a background in business lately, as I've grown up around it my whole life (my dad has a pHd in accounting and I considered following his career path for a hot second) and I think it's just a good thing to understand regardless of what industry you end up in haha

Hey everyone!

So I submitted my applications for this cycle and I've received emails from all of my schools saying that my application is received and under review. Since then I have been offered a job at my university as a tutor, something I definitely would love my schools to know about. My question is, I know you can "add" to your VMCAS application online through the portal, but will my schools see this if they have already started looking at my application? So is it too late to let them know I'm tutoring now?

Hey everyone!

So I submitted my applications for this cycle and I've received emails from all of my schools saying that my application is received and under review. Since then I have been offered a job at my university as a tutor, something I definitely would love my schools to know about. My question is, I know you can "add" to your VMCAS application online through the portal, but will my schools see this if they have already started looking at my application? So is it too late to let them know I'm tutoring now?
I'd add it and email your schools and say that you added tutoring at your university to your application and ask if they'll redownload your app. Worst they can do is say no.

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning everyone,

I posted this last year. Since then, I have gain some new experiences and different views. Please tell me what you think.

29 year old (male, if it matters), AL and/or MS resident (due to my military duty station)

Applying to: Mississippi State University (MSU) and/or Auburn as an ‘in state’ student (applying next year selection for 2018).

Degree:
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) with concentration of Public Health Administration (Current and still working on it with 7 of the 12 courses completed; 3.71 GPA not added below).
- BS in Environmental Biology with a minor in Military Science (2012)
- Associates in Emergency Management (still working on it as of 2017)
- Associates in Military Operations (still working on it as of 2017)

(My GPA / Recommended Avg.)
Overall GPA= 3.09 / 3.61
Required math & science GPA = 3.43 / 3.5
Upper-level sciences GPA = 2.07 / 3.69
Last 45-semester hours = 2.72 / 3.7

(My GRE / Recommended Avg.)
Verbal Reasoning = 139
Quantitative Reasoning = 139
(Need to retake in 2018)

Animal Experience:
06/23/2001 – 06/24/2001 Humane Society for 8hrs.
11/15/2014 – 11/29/2014 OG Mainz (Germany) via Schutzhund for 12hrs.
02/03/2013 – 07/25/2015 OG Schmalenbach-Lehrberg (Germany) via Schutzhund for 300hrs.
09/15/2015 – Current Florida Schutzhund club for >125hrs.
TBD Big Ben – Humane Animal Rescue NA hrs.

Vet Experience:
05/28/2016 – Current >84.5 hrs. (Working on this at two different location while taking personal leave).

Employment Experience:
01/15/2012 – 05/13/2013 Flight School >3105hrs (253.8hrs of flight hours)
06/10/2013 – 08/04/2014 Assistance S-3 Operations Officer >3000hrs.
08/04/2014 – 08/15/2015 Component Repair Platoon Leader >2226hrs
08/20/2015 – 09/21/2016 Battalion S-4 Logistics Officer (OIC) >1640hrs.
09/21/2016 – Current Company Commander and S-4 Logistic Officer >1950hrs.

Volunteer Experience:
04/10/2001 – 05/11/2007 Boy Scouts >700hrs.

Extracurricular:

- Army Combat Lifesaver (2017)
- Red Cross: Blood borne Pathogens Training (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Waterpark Skills: Valid only with Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Waterfront Skills: Valid only with Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- FEMA Independent Studies: completed 72 course.

Achievement:
- I have earned an assortment of Military Awards; they are listed on the VMCAS Application.
- Silber in German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge (2017)
- 2nd Place in the military category via U.S Canine Biathlon (AMK9) (2016)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Commercial Pilot License for Rotorcraft Helicopter; Instrument Helicopter S-70 (2013)
- Distinguished Military Student for the school year 2011
- Superior Cadet Decoration Award in 2009 (ROTC)
- Eagle Scout via Boy Scouts (2007)
- 2nd Place in the First LEGO league (2002)

LOR:
- One from my current Battalion Commander
- Two from Fort Rucker Vt. Clinic (Civilian and Military)
- One from Ozark Vet Clinic
- One from my Schutzhund Club in Germany
- One from my Schutzhund Club in Florida

Concerns: My current GPA is low at the moment, but my MPA degree plan should easily adjust at or near completion. However, my science GPA will not change. Although, I am not competitive in my academics, what are my chances that my military leadership/professionalism would weight in between these two institutions? I am going to utilize my leave time to volunteer my service at nearby vet clinics to increase my vet experience/hours. Any recommendations in vet experience/exposure? In addition, I am crossing into an interesting where my science courses are about to expire it’s 5 year shelf life. Does anyone have any recommendations or know a program to retake these courses as a associates degree or hybrid course?

Thank you.

V/R,
Graham.

Good morning everyone,

I posted this last year. Since then, I have gain some new experiences and different views. Please tell me what you think.

29 year old (male, if it matters), AL and/or MS resident (due to my military duty station)

Applying to: Mississippi State University (MSU) and/or Auburn as an ‘in state’ student (applying next year selection for 2018).

Degree:
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) with concentration of Public Health Administration (Current and still working on it with 7 of the 12 courses completed; 3.71 GPA not added below).
- BS in Environmental Biology with a minor in Military Science (2012)
- Associates in Emergency Management (still working on it as of 2017)
- Associates in Military Operations (still working on it as of 2017)

(My GPA / Recommended Avg.)
Overall GPA= 3.09 / 3.61
Required math & science GPA = 3.43 / 3.5
Upper-level sciences GPA = 2.07 / 3.69
Last 45-semester hours = 2.72 / 3.7

(My GRE / Recommended Avg.)
Verbal Reasoning = 139
Quantitative Reasoning = 139
(Need to retake in 2018)

Animal Experience:
06/23/2001 – 06/24/2001 Humane Society for 8hrs.
11/15/2014 – 11/29/2014 OG Mainz (Germany) via Schutzhund for 12hrs.
02/03/2013 – 07/25/2015 OG Schmalenbach-Lehrberg (Germany) via Schutzhund for 300hrs.
09/15/2015 – Current Florida Schutzhund club for >125hrs.
TBD Big Ben – Humane Animal Rescue NA hrs.

Vet Experience:
05/28/2016 – Current >84.5 hrs. (Working on this at two different location while taking personal leave).

Employment Experience:
01/15/2012 – 05/13/2013 Flight School >3105hrs (253.8hrs of flight hours)
06/10/2013 – 08/04/2014 Assistance S-3 Operations Officer >3000hrs.
08/04/2014 – 08/15/2015 Component Repair Platoon Leader >2226hrs
08/20/2015 – 09/21/2016 Battalion S-4 Logistics Officer (OIC) >1640hrs.
09/21/2016 – Current Company Commander and S-4 Logistic Officer >1950hrs.

Volunteer Experience:
04/10/2001 – 05/11/2007 Boy Scouts >700hrs.

Extracurricular:

- Army Combat Lifesaver (2017)
- Red Cross: Blood borne Pathogens Training (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Waterpark Skills: Valid only with Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- Red Cross: Waterfront Skills: Valid only with Lifeguarding / First Aid / CPR / AED (2017 and Current)
- FEMA Independent Studies: completed 72 course.

Achievement:
- I have earned an assortment of Military Awards; they are listed on the VMCAS Application.
- Silber in German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge (2017)
- 2nd Place in the military category via U.S Canine Biathlon (AMK9) (2016)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Commercial Pilot License for Rotorcraft Helicopter; Instrument Helicopter S-70 (2013)
- Distinguished Military Student for the school year 2011
- Superior Cadet Decoration Award in 2009 (ROTC)
- Eagle Scout via Boy Scouts (2007)
- 2nd Place in the First LEGO league (2002)

LOR:
- One from my current Battalion Commander
- Two from Fort Rucker Vt. Clinic (Civilian and Military)
- One from Ozark Vet Clinic
- One from my Schutzhund Club in Germany
- One from my Schutzhund Club in Florida

Concerns: My current GPA is low at the moment, but my MPA degree plan should easily adjust at or near completion. However, my science GPA will not change. Although, I am not competitive in my academics, what are my chances that my military leadership/professionalism would weight in between these two institutions? I am going to utilize my leave time to volunteer my service at nearby vet clinics to increase my vet experience/hours. Any recommendations in vet experience/exposure? In addition, I am crossing into an interesting where my science courses are about to expire it’s 5 year shelf life. Does anyone have any recommendations or know a program to retake these courses as a associates degree or hybrid course?

Thank you.

V/R,
Graham.
Your math & science GPA isn't bad, but your upper level science GPA is quite low. You obviously need a lot more vet experience too. Try to get varied experience if possible, like large animal experience, wildlife, avian, exotics (not all, but try for three areas including the small animal experience you have, at least I'm assuming it's small animal).

I believe most schools require an academic LOR too, so try to find a professor that would write you a good LOR, meaning they know you and you got an A in their class. Actually, the A part isn't really necessary, but it certainly helps. One of my best LOR's was from a professor that I took many classes with and I worked for him for a while. I didn't get an A in all of the classes I took with him, I think I may have even gotten a C in one, and probably B's in most, but he knew me really well.

Didn't get any feedback the first time I posted, so I figured I'd try again. My concerns are my low quant score (but I'm hoping my 97th percentile in verbal will make up for it??) and very average GPA. Thanks in advance!!!

Texas resident, 21 years old, 1st time applicant, Spanish and Biology major

Applying to:
Texas A&M, Mizzou

Cumulative GPA- 3.63
Science GPA- 3.44
Last 45 hours- 3.8ish

GRE- 166 V/150 Q/ 5.5

Veterinary Experience (Total of 1485 hours)
-Vet Tech (unlicensed) at small animal ER - 560 hours
-Vet Asst. at small animal ER- 402 hours
-Vet Asst/Kennel Tech at small animal day practice - 200 hours
-Shadow at small animal ER - 130 hours
-Shadow at equine practice - 75 hours
-Shadow at small animal/exotics day practice - 40 hours
-Shadow at small animal day practice - 48 hours
-Vet camp at A&M (high school) - 30 hours

Animal Experience- (Total of 3125 hours)
-Competitive hunter/equitation horseback riding on AA/A circuit - 1865 hours (been riding since I was 6 but only included hours from high school-present)
-Junior camp counselor at horseback riding camp - 640 hours
-Pet sitting - 360 hours
-Volunteer at therapeutic horseback riding centers- 304 hours
-Dog walking - 16 hours

Research experience - none

Extracurriculars/Academic Recognition:
-
President of Biology Honors Society
-VP and Community Engagement Chair of Bio Honors Society
-Recruitment chair of sorority
-Mentor and Assistant Coordinator- partnered with elementary school student for a semester & did science experiment
-member of Pre-Health honor society
-member of Spanish honors society
-Volunteer at ICE detention center
-Coordinated several low-income elementary/middle school student visits to my university's science center
-Student coordinator for breast cancer awareness event at local hospital
-Dean's list 3 semesters

LORs-
-Medical director at small animal ER (DVM)
-Equine vet I shadowed/family friend (DVM)
-Professor of vertebrate morphology course (DVM)

Didn't get any feedback the first time I posted, so I figured I'd try again. My concerns are my low quant score (but I'm hoping my 97th percentile in verbal will make up for it??) and very average GPA. Thanks in advance!!!

Applying to:
Texas A&M, Mizzou

Cumulative GPA- 3.63
Science GPA- 3.44
Last 45 hours- 3.8ish

GRE- 166 V/150 Q/ 5.5

-Competitive hunter/equitation horseback riding on AA/A circuit - 1865 hours (been riding since I was 6 but only included hours from high school-present)
-Pet sitting - 360 hours
-Dog walking - 16 hours

-
-Mentor and Assistant Coordinator- partnered with elementary school student for a semester & did science experiment
-Coordinated several low-income elementary/middle school student visits to my university's science center
-Dean's list 3 semesters

LORs-

I think you have a great chance at getting in! Your diverse experience, good grades, and mountain of extracurriculars will make you a great candidate. Best of luck :)

Applying to:
Texas A&M, Mizzou

Cumulative GPA- 3.63
Science GPA- 3.44
Last 45 hours- 3.8ish

GRE- 166 V/150 Q/ 5.5

-Pet sitting - 360 hours
-Dog walking - 16 hours

-
-Dean's list 3 semesters

LORs-

Not a ton to say, probably why you didn't get many responses. I think everything looks on track; it will come down to writing good essays and interviewing well (if the schools to which you apply do interviews). Schools all evaluate a little differently, but at UMN where it's a gated process (i.e. academics evaluated, then if sufficient the subjective material, then if still in the running an interview) your academic qualifications are sufficient to keep you moving to the next step.

Plenty of interesting background material to draw from if you apply to schools that do behavioral interviews.

I personally would worry less about your grades/GRE than I would the diversity of your experience. I see the equine bit snuggled in there, but otherwise it's all SA. I honestly don't think it will matter, but if you wanted to improve somewhat, a bit of LA (non-equine) experience might help round you out.

But in general, I think you should just keep on keeping on.

Hi! I'm curious about what I should do to make my application better. I really want to to get in next fall so I am not stuck doing nothing for a year. I am a junior, graduating next fall with a degree in Biology. This is my first time applying. I have not taken the GRE yet, but I typically do not do well on standardized tests (my ACT score was 26) so I am a bit nervous about that.

I'm an IA resident and want to apply to ISU and maybe a few others. Really banking on getting in to ISU though.

cGPA = 3.6, science GPA = 3.56 (Ochem hurt me there, lol).. I have all prereqs done except physics. Ochem 2 is currently in progress, I will probably end up with a B-/C+, so that'll probably bring my science GPA down a lil bit.

Vet experience: 100 hours shadowing a SA (canine repro) vet, 10 hours shadowing LA vet in a rural town, 5 hours shadowing at a mixed practice in a rural town, 7 hours observing surgeons at referral clinic in Denver (oncology, orthopedics), 5 necropsy hours w/ research vets... (by the time I apply, I should have more SA and equine vet experience)

(question: I am not entirely sure what to include in my hours. Anybody have a definition for what "vet experience" is? I have quite a few hours with an equine vet, but have no formal shadowing experience because I am usually the one hiring them to work on my horses... Not sure what to do there!)

Animal experience: 1000 hours riding/showing horses (IHSA, 4H, AQHA). 500 hours working with beef cow herd (help with care, administering shots, fly control, nutrition, calving season etc etc). 10 hours with feeder cattle. 4 hours with dairy cattle (learning preg check/AI). 25+ hours whelping puppies w/ a show dog breeder. 20 hours dog/cat sitting.

Research: I recently got a job as an assistant with a lab at the vet school that researches porcine vaccines and viruses. I have been involved in necropsies, handling blood/serum and tissue samples, and running tests. (also getting some much needed pig experience!)

Extracurriculars: I show horses in the summer, active in saddle club and a member of AQHA. Currently learning to show dogs, member of a local kennel club. I am also in pre-vet, equestrian, and B&B club on campus. Have been on dean's list for the last 2 semesters.

LOR: small animal vet, Dr who heads up the lab, and my reproduction professor.

If it matters at all, I am not sure what I want to do with my DVM yet. I like everything I've done so far, it's so hard to choose!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm curious about what I should do to make my application better. I really want to to get in next fall so I am not stuck doing nothing for a year. I am a junior, graduating next fall with a degree in Biology. This is my first time applying. I have not taken the GRE yet, but I typically do not do well on standardized tests (my ACT score was 26) so I am a bit nervous about that.

I'm an IA resident and want to apply to ISU and maybe a few others. Really banking on getting in to ISU though.

cGPA = 3.6, science GPA = 3.56 (Ochem hurt me there, lol).. I have all prereqs done except physics. Ochem 2 is currently in progress, I will probably end up with a B-/C+, so that'll probably bring my science GPA down a lil bit.

Vet experience: 100 hours shadowing a SA (canine repro) vet, 10 hours shadowing LA vet in a rural town, 5 hours shadowing at a mixed practice in a rural town, 7 hours observing surgeons at referral clinic in Denver (oncology, orthopedics), 5 necropsy hours w/ research vets... (by the time I apply, I should have more SA and equine vet experience)

(question: I am not entirely sure what to include in my hours. Anybody have a definition for what "vet experience" is? I have quite a few hours with an equine vet, but have no formal shadowing experience because I am usually the one hiring them to work on my horses... Not sure what to do there!)

Animal experience: 1000 hours riding/showing horses (IHSA, 4H, AQHA). 500 hours working with beef cow herd (help with care, administering shots, fly control, nutrition, calving season etc etc). 10 hours with feeder cattle. 4 hours with dairy cattle (learning preg check/AI). 25+ hours whelping puppies w/ a show dog breeder. 20 hours dog/cat sitting.

Research: I recently got a job as an assistant with a lab at the vet school that researches porcine vaccines and viruses. I have been involved in necropsies, handling blood/serum and tissue samples, and running tests. (also getting some much needed pig experience!)

Extracurriculars: I show horses in the summer, active in saddle club and a member of AQHA. Currently learning to show dogs, member of a local kennel club. I am also in pre-vet, equestrian, and B&B club on campus. Have been on dean's list for the last 2 semesters.

LOR: small animal vet, Dr who heads up the lab, and my reproduction professor.

If it matters at all, I am not sure what I want to do with my DVM yet. I like everything I've done so far, it's so hard to choose!

First off, you're never stuck "doing nothing for a year." I mean, I understand what you meant, but don't look at it that way. If you don't get in, use the time to better prepare yourself by getting even more experience and getting to know vets in the field - those contacts can be HUGE down the road. I still (7 years later) have a standing invite to come work at the hospital I did most of my shadowing in - that's comforting.

You need veterinary experience. What you have is minimal. When you say you'll have more by the time you apply - how much more? You don't want to sacrifice your grades to get more experience, but you really want more experience.

In answer to your question about defining veterinary experience, you could have done that research yourself. (There is even a nice flow chart at that link.) It literally took me 30 seconds to google "apply for vet school definition of veterinary experience" and get a pretty definitive answer from VMCAS's website. Being a self-starter and getting out there and finding information is important in this field. Not trying to come down on you; but remember that problem solving and being a self-starter are characteristics that most interviewers find attractive in a candidate. Being someone who makes others do the research for them ... not so much.

The variety of animal experience will definitely help you, but is less important than veterinary experience.

Working in a diagnostic lab at a vet school has the potential to be very useful - stick with that and make sure you get a great letter of recommendation out of it.

I think it is healthy to admit that you aren't sure what you want to do with your DVM yet. A lot of people come into vet school and change their goals, and coming in with an open mind can be rewarding. But you should at least be able to articulate thoroughly (both in your personal statement and an interview) why you want to be a vet. Since you don't have a specific "I want to be an equine vet" or "I want to do X" you need to make sure your prepared to answer the question "why do you want to be a vet."

G'luck!

In answer to your question about defining veterinary experience

Thanks for your thorough response! I appreciate it. I should have worded my question better. I looked for an answer and read a few old threads on that question. I know that owning pets doesn’t count as animal experience hours, so I just wasn’t sure if paying a vet to work on our animals would count as vet experience hours... (for example, vaccinating/implanting cattle... I know what’s going on and can ask questions/learn, I’m just not on the “vet’s” side of things per say).. sorry for not being clearer!

Hi friends! New to SDN and thoroughly enjoying reading all of your advice.
I'm a MI resident applying to MSU, ISU, and CSU for the first time.

My grades and GRE are not outstanding, but they aren't horrible either:
cGPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

(Many of my pre-reqs were met using AP credits so I'm hoping that doesn't affect anything negatively)

Veterinary experience: 1104 hours
- 672 small animal
- 432 large animal
Animal experience (non-veterinary): 203 hours
Research experience: 551 hours
Volunteer experience: 484 hours (American Red Cross, UNICEF, St. Peter's Catholic Church, Athletes in Action)
Extracurricular: 2150 hours (NCAA D1 Cross Country and Track and Field Athlete, and a member of a handful of clubs during undergrad- outdoors club, microorganisms club, animal science undergraduate research association)

Dean's List honors - 3 semesters; service and leadership awards from the Red Cross; was a National Champion in XC and named Academic All-Big Ten in XC and Track; received Scholastic Art Award in HS

I received LoR's from a SA veterinarian I've worked with each summer for the past two years, a research PI/veterinarian, my boss from the sheep farm I worked on, my coach, and a professor/friend I've had a few classes under.

Most of my large animal and research experience is with beef cattle, but I have experience with dairy cattle, sheep, goats, and chickens as well. Just recently started working as a veterinary assistant with a mobile clinic that primarily provides low-cost services to animal shelters, etc. VMCAS is closed so I was unable to add this to my app.

Thoughts??
Thank you!

Hi friends! New to SDN and thoroughly enjoying reading all of your advice.
I'm a MI resident applying to MSU, ISU, and CSU for the first time.

My grades and GRE are not outstanding, but they aren't horrible either:
cGPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

(Many of my pre-reqs were met using AP credits so I'm hoping that doesn't affect anything negatively)

Veterinary experience: 1104 hours
- 672 small animal
- 432 large animal
Animal experience (non-veterinary): 203 hours
Research experience: 551 hours
Volunteer experience: 484 hours (American Red Cross, UNICEF, St. Peter's Catholic Church, Athletes in Action)
Extracurricular: 2150 hours (NCAA D1 Cross Country and Track and Field Athlete, and a member of a handful of clubs during undergrad- outdoors club, microorganisms club, animal science undergraduate research association)

Dean's List honors - 3 semesters; service and leadership awards from the Red Cross; was a National Champion in XC and named Academic All-Big Ten in XC and Track; received Scholastic Art Award in HS

I received LoR's from a SA veterinarian I've worked with each summer for the past two years, a research PI/veterinarian, my boss from the sheep farm I worked on, my coach, and a professor/friend I've had a few classes under.

Most of my large animal and research experience is with beef cattle, but I have experience with dairy cattle, sheep, goats, and chickens as well. Just recently started working as a veterinary assistant with a mobile clinic that primarily provides low-cost services to animal shelters, etc. VMCAS is closed so I was unable to add this to my app.

Thoughts??
Thank you!
I think that you look pretty good for MSU. They just changed what all they're looking at, so I'm not totally on top of what they're considering now. They no longer look at GRE, and I think it's last 36 semester hours they want (maybe also science?). That looks good, and you've got way more vet hours than I did.
Just do some searching around for MMI prep stuff, and that should prepare you well if you get an invite.

Thanks for your thorough response! I appreciate it. I should have worded my question better. I looked for an answer and read a few old threads on that question. I know that owning pets doesn’t count as animal experience hours, so I just wasn’t sure if paying a vet to work on our animals would count as vet experience hours... (for example, vaccinating/implanting cattle... I know what’s going on and can ask questions/learn, I’m just not on the “vet’s” side of things per say).. sorry for not being clearer!
Actually some schools will count owning pets as animal experience, depending on what that ownership entailed.

As far as your question about vet experience, I'm not sure if we can give a 100% answer on that. My impression is that most people won't include vet visits for their own pets in their experience. I would talk to the schools you are applying to though. Agree with LIS that at any rate that is an area where you definitely need to focus on improving your application. There are a few exceptions but most schools want to see several hundred hours of vet experience at least. It's also important for helping you decide if this is really what you want to do and getting a better idea of what vet med is like.

I think that you look pretty good for MSU. They just changed what all they're looking at, so I'm not totally on top of what they're considering now. They no longer look at GRE, and I think it's last 36 semester hours they want (maybe also science?). That looks good, and you've got way more vet hours than I did.
Just do some searching around for MMI prep stuff, and that should prepare you well if you get an invite.

Thank you so much for your reply! The interviews are definitely what I am the most nervous about (if I get an invite to one). I tend to be soft-spoken and an introvert, so the example videos MSU posted on their website have been helpful to watch. When I have a job interview I try to drink a lot of coffee beforehand so I'm all hyper and talkative, hopefully that does the trick with vet school interviews too :rofl:

Hi there... so first post and just starting back to school after a long ride. To start; I am 28 and reside in Ohio where I’ve had my license as an RVT for 8-9 years. I started my career working the first 3-4 years in a SA ER clinic and am currently working at an Ohio State University extension as a Lab animal technician. Currently I work with pigs, cows, turkeys, chickens as well as some traditional lab animal species, and manage the Gnotobiotic and Swine facilities in my department and work under the campus attending vet in a animal care staff function.
Anyway, I recently started back to school (OSU ATI) where I get employee tuition assistance from OSU as a full time employee as long as I enroll in under 10 credit hours a semester. My goal is to go to Vet School and gain DVM. As it is, to get my bachelors while working it is going to take me around 8-10 years to complete- I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to be an undergrad forever. My plan is to gain prerequisites and the GRE of course and apply to LMU or a Caribbean School such as Ross. My question is, how smart is this? Is it even possible?
I am at the point in my life where I would like to have a career and if I spend the next 12-14 yrs in school I won’t be able too. I should mention that if I make it into vet school that my life would basically stop for that and I plan to stick 100% into academia.
Thanks!!

Hi there... so first post and just starting back to school after a long ride. To start; I am 28 and reside in Ohio where I’ve had my license as an RVT for 8-9 years. I started my career working the first 3-4 years in a SA ER clinic and am currently working at an Ohio State University extension as a Lab animal technician. Currently I work with pigs, cows, turkeys, chickens as well as some traditional lab animal species, and manage the Gnotobiotic and Swine facilities in my department and work under the campus attending vet in a animal care staff function.
Anyway, I recently started back to school (OSU ATI) where I get employee tuition assistance from OSU as a full time employee as long as I enroll in under 10 credit hours a semester. My goal is to go to Vet School and gain DVM. As it is, to get my bachelors while working it is going to take me around 8-10 years to complete- I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to be an undergrad forever. My plan is to gain prerequisites and the GRE of course and apply to LMU or a Caribbean School such as Ross. My question is, how smart is this? Is it even possible?
I am at the point in my life where I would like to have a career and if I spend the next 12-14 yrs in school I won’t be able too. I should mention that if I make it into vet school that my life would basically stop for that and I plan to stick 100% into academia.
Thanks!!
The Caribbean schools are really expensive, then add in COL and travel to and from the island, and it becomes even more expensive. It might be smarter to focus on getting your undergrad classes done sooner at a higher cost to you, and then apply to your in state vet school, and other lower cost schools in the continental US.

Thanks!!
Also, staying in academia means you will spend extra time getting a PhD and/or getting board certification in a specialty to be competitive...

Thanks!!
Most stateside schools don't require a bachelor's either, just prerequisites. Take a serious look at the debt that planning for going Caribbean would leave you in and consider strongly aiming for your in-state.

Most stateside schools don't require a bachelor's either, just prerequisites. Take a serious look at the debt that planning for going Caribbean would leave you in and consider strongly aiming for your in-state.
Thanks. Honestly was looking more at how good my chances were to getting into a state school given my situation. Wasn’t sure shooting for the minimum requirements but applying with a good amount of experience would really give me a shot anywhere given that it seems most traditional students apply every year with a better educational background.

Thanks!!
If you do go this route, I'd take your science prerequisites last as many schools have limits on when you take them (such as within five years of applying)... just something to keep in mind.

Thanks. Honestly was looking more at how good my chances were to getting into a state school given my situation. Wasn’t sure shooting for the minimum requirements but applying with a good amount of experience would really give me a shot anywhere given that it seems most traditional students apply every year with a better educational background.
If you do well in your classes, you are just as competitive as anyone else. Some schools do factor in course load, but I don't think that is ever heavily considered.

I was accepted without a Bachelor's degree to my IS, MSU. I started college, left, returned for an A.S., and transferred to MSU to finish my B.S. and the rest of the prereqs that needed done at a 4 yr college. I prioritized all the required classes so that I might be able to get in before finishing my degree, too, just to save the tuition costs. I think it's realistic to consider looking at state side schools with your experience.

Yeah. At the end of the day it can be a little confusing because all experiences don't fit into a neat category.

So just use your best judgment. As long as it isn't egregious, no applications committee is going to hold it against you if you categorize something incorrectly.

If you try to sell your dog-walking business as veterinary experience, yeah, they're going to roll their eyes and view that negatively. But if you assisted a vet giving vaccines to a herd of cows or something, that's probably legit? And even if not, it's understandable why you would categorize it that way, so worst case, they just adjust your numbers for their own purposes.

If you do your best to be honest, you're unlikely to be criticized. :)

Hi everyone,

I’m only a junior in undergrad, so I’m just hoping for some feedback on what I should improve/focus on in this last year before I apply to vet schools. I’m thinking about applying to Michigan State, OSU, University of Wisconsin, Purdue, maybe a couple others.

Here are my stats so far:

Major: Biology (pre-vet focus)
Minor: Chemistry and Spanish
Overall GPA: 4.0 (with 3 more science classes and 1 math class to go)

GRE scores: my score/percentile
Quant: 160/78
Verbal:170/99
Writing: 4.5/80

Animal Experience Hours: 5308 total
- dairy cattle: 728, I was raised on a dairy farm
- 4H/fair experience: 1100, cattle and poultry
- dairy goats: 3480, head herdsman for 3 years

Vet Experience Hours: 531 total
- small animal urgent care: 27, shadowing
- mixed animal including equine, SA, LA, exotic: 504, employed

Research Experience Hours:
- neuroscience research on rats begins next semester, expected hours unknown

Letters of Recommendation:
- advisor/professor
- research professor
- veterinarian/former employer

Volunteering:
- Food Recovery Network
- Project Everyone
- blood donation
- college-sponsored Alternative Breaks
- mission trips to Dominican Republic and Mississippi
- English reading tutor for Spanish-speaking child
- Operation Christmas Child

Various Other Extra-Curriculars:
- touring college choir
- women’s acapella ensemble
- college tutor
- student ministry coordinator

Questions: (although all advice and opinions are welcome)
- should I take the GRE again? I took it as a sophomore without studying, so there is definitely potential to boost my scores if it’s really worth it
- do I need to calculate hours for volunteer/extra-curriculars? The VMCAS app is closed now so I can’t check that.
- should I worry about my vet hours? I’ve got a couple options for vet clinic experience this upcoming summer so there should be another 500 or so from that, but I’m still a bit anxious.

- should I take the GRE again? I took it as a sophomore without studying, so there is definitely potential to boost my scores if it’s really worth it
- do I need to calculate hours for volunteer/extra-curriculars? The VMCAS app is closed now so I can’t check that.
- should I worry about my vet hours? I’ve got a couple options for vet clinic experience this upcoming summer so there should be another 500 or so from that, but I’m still a bit anxious.

- No, you should not retake the GRE. Why would you? Your scores are great so you'd just be burning time and money on a retake.
- Yes, you need to calculate hours for volunteer and extra curriculars, but estimating will be fine (provided it's a reasonable estimate)
- Can't speak for all of the schools but for MSU at least I would not worry specifically about a lack of vet hours. Definitely build those hours up if you can, but you have a reasonable chunk of other experience and good academic factors so I wouldn't be concerned that your vet hours aren't high.

Hi everyone,

I’m only a junior in undergrad, so I’m just hoping for some feedback on what I should improve/focus on in this last year before I apply to vet schools. I’m thinking about applying to Michigan State, OSU, University of Wisconsin, Purdue, maybe a couple others.

Here are my stats so far:

Major: Biology (pre-vet focus)
Minor: Chemistry and Spanish
Overall GPA: 4.0 (with 3 more science classes and 1 math class to go)

GRE scores: my score/percentile
Quant: 160/78
Verbal:170/99
Writing: 4.5/80

Animal Experience Hours: 5308 total
- dairy cattle: 728, I was raised on a dairy farm
- 4H/fair experience: 1100, cattle and poultry
- dairy goats: 3480, head herdsman for 3 years

Vet Experience Hours: 531 total
- small animal urgent care: 27, shadowing
- mixed animal including equine, SA, LA, exotic: 504, employed

Research Experience Hours:
- neuroscience research on rats begins next semester, expected hours unknown

Letters of Recommendation:
- advisor/professor
- research professor
- veterinarian/former employer

Volunteering:
- Food Recovery Network
- Project Everyone
- blood donation
- college-sponsored Alternative Breaks
- mission trips to Dominican Republic and Mississippi
- English reading tutor for Spanish-speaking child
- Operation Christmas Child

Various Other Extra-Curriculars:
- touring college choir
- women’s acapella ensemble
- college tutor
- student ministry coordinator

I can only really speak for OSU, but I definitely wouldn't retake the GRE. Those are great scores and coupled with a great GPA, I definitely wouldn't stress. It looks like you have pretty good variety, if anything definitely try to get more small animal experience. OSU loves diversity. Research experience is definitely a plus and can add to an application. It was a huge topic during my interviews. I'd say you' even in a great place at the moment. Keep it up and you should be fine.

Last edited:
I can only really speak for OSU, but I definitely wouldn't retake the GRE. Those are great scores and coupled with a great GPA, I definitely wouldn't stress. It looks like you have pretty good variety, if anything definitely try to get more small animal experience. OSU loves diversity. Research experience is definitely a plus and can add to an application. It was a huge topic during my interviews. I'd say you' even in a great place at the moment. Keep it up and you'll should be fine.
Which OSU? There are 3. Oregon state is extremely hard to get into OOS if that's what they are referring too.

Which OSU? There are 3. Oregon state is extremely hard to get into OOS if that's what they are referring too.

I was assuming Ohio State based on her other schools listed, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Furthermore, hard and impossible are not the same thing. Someone has to fill those seats.

Yeah, sorry, I was referring to The Ohio State University.

Y’all are making me want to rewatch Sherlock with those deductions. ;)

I currently have a 2.2 gpa due to really bad study habits and difficult times. I’m on my last 45 hours. I still have about a year to go and have really done better with studying and getting better grades (A’s and B’s) My gpa is going up slowly. Will they manily focus on my last 45 hours gpa? Due to how things went my first year and a half, I’m having trouble bringing my gpa up. But like I said, I’m currently doing my last 45 hours (that I just started this semester) I have a 3.4, which would go up. What can I do to bring my gpa up and do I have any hope for vet school? I do have years of experience. I’ve been stressing out a lot and could really use some confidence.

There is a "what are my chances?" thread pinned that this should technically go in.

But not to sugar coat it, 2.2 is rough. Below minimum standards of most schools, you-won't-even-get-looked-at kind of rough. A 3.4 - your high end GPA - is honestly on the low side for a lot of schools.

How many credit hours do you have for that GPA?

There are some schools that focus primarily (or entirely) on science and last 45 GPAs --- ISU and KSU do for sure, and I know that that there are at least a few more. However, a lot of them still do have a minimum cumulative GPA that you have to meet in order for your application to be considered; ISU's is 2.5, which is I actually believe to be one of the lowest. Many schools won't even glance at your application if your cumulative GPA is below a 3.0.

I was accepted to a couple of schools with a 3.2 cumulative, and that's considered to be on the pretty low end. A 2.2 is going to make things extremely difficult for you and, honestly, I'm not sure that you're even going to qualify for most, if any, vet schools with a GPA like that.

Unfortunately, like Trilt alluded to, if you've got a lot of credits already under your belt, it may be practically impossible to raise your cumulative GPA beyond a few tenths of a point, even with straight As. You could potentially do a masters or retake any pre-reqs you did poorly in, but depending on how many credits are going into that 2.2, it might be too little too late. :(

Edit: Here's a calculator that may be useful to you: Raise Your GPA --- It can be used to determine just how high you can raise your GPA based on how many credits you've already taken and what courses you're currently in or have left to complete, as well as how many hours of As you'll need to raise your GPA to a certain level and whether or not that is going to be a realistic goal for you. For example, running it through that calculator, with 96 credit hours amassed, it would take 77 hours of straight As to raise a 2.2 to a 3.0.

Edit 2: Just realized that this got merged into the WaMC thread -- this is all in response to @Katienic

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hear they can be a bit persnickety about that The. ;)

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. It’s nice to get some feedback outside of my own head!

We take our *THE* very seriously;)

When I was there for a weekend during one of my undergrad classes, I was told I only had to use "the" if I was using "university" and that calling it Ohio State is acceptable. I ain't got time for an extra word--especially if you're gonna make me emphasize it with caps. :p

There is a "what are my chances?" thread pinned that this should technically go in.

But not to sugar coat it, 2.2 is rough. Below minimum standards of most schools, you-won't-even-get-looked-at kind of rough. A 3.4 - your high end GPA - is honestly on the low side for a lot of schools.

How many credit hours do you have for that GPA?

There are some schools that focus primarily (or entirely) on science and last 45 GPAs --- ISU and KSU do for sure, and I know that that there are at least a few more. However, a lot of them still do have a minimum cumulative GPA that you have to meet in order for your application to be considered; ISU's is 2.5, which is I actually believe to be one of the lowest. Many schools won't even glance at your application if your cumulative GPA is below a 3.0.

I was accepted to a couple of schools with a 3.2 cumulative, and that's considered to be on the pretty low end. A 2.2 is going to make things extremely difficult for you and, honestly, I'm not sure that you're even going to qualify for most, if any, vet schools with a GPA like that.

Unfortunately, like Trilt alluded to, if you've got a lot of credits already under your belt, it may be practically impossible to raise your cumulative GPA beyond a few tenths of a point, even with straight As. You could potentially do a masters or retake any pre-reqs you did poorly in, but depending on how many credits are going into that 2.2, it might be too little too late. :(

Edit: Here's a calculator that may be useful to you: It can be used to determine just how high you can raise your GPA based on how many credits you've already taken and what courses you're currently in or have left to complete, as well as how many hours of As you'll need to raise your GPA to a certain level and whether or not that is going to be a realistic goal for you. For example, running it through that calculator, with 96 credit hours amassed, it would take 77 hours of straight As to raise a 2.2 to a 3.0.

Edit 2: Just realized that this got merged into the WaMC thread -- this is all in response to @Katienic
I just feel down in the dumbs and wish I could just start over. I had a rough first year and a half which regarded in my low gpa. For my 3.4 gpa I have 17 credit hours for that. I just don’t know what to do to raise my gpa. If it’s worth retaking courses, or stay in school and take classes until I can raise my gpa. I’m 22 which I know is still young but I feel like I’m so behind compared to my friends.

I just feel down in the dumbs and wish I could just start over. I had a rough first year and a half which regarded in my low gpa. For my 3.4 gpa I have 17 credit hours for that. I just don’t know what to do to raise my gpa. If it’s worth retaking courses, or stay in school and take classes until I can raise my gpa. I’m 22 which I know is still young but I feel like I’m so behind compared to my friends.
You have a better chance of raising your GPA than someone who's done an entire bachelor's at 2.2. That's even more of an uphill climb.

I agree with Elkhart, use the GPA calculator to see how many credits would take to raise your GPA up to a 3.0 (it sounds like you probably have 45-60 credits or so?), and focus on schools that don't look at cGPA. Take upper level classes and ace them, that sort of thing. Retaking probably won't help (they average the grades, I believe?). I'm also curious if the 2.2 is in science classes or not?

You are basically a baby in the grand scheme of things. Don't worry about your friends getting ahead of you. You go at your own pace, and things will happen (or not happen) when they do, and there's not always a ton you can do about it besides trying your hardest. That being said, I'd take a long look at the loans/debt/whatever you might accrue taking the classes you need to + vet school, and make sure you've got enough experience to show that it's what you want to do and worth the long hard road in front of you.

First of all - it's not a race. Don't feel rushed because other people are at different stages than you are. That has absolutely no bearing on you or your career path.

Is there an academic adviser you can talk to about this? I'm honestly not sure what will be the best path for you. I know that some people are encouraged to get their MS before applying to vet school in order to help with GPA deficiencies and prove that they can handle the academic load. I'm not sure how post-bacc GPA's are evaluated - I thought that most schools don't consider it when looking at overall GPA? You would need to talk to your IS or whatever vet school you hope to attend and see how they look at it. There are some 1-yr non-thesis master's programs that can potentially help your application. The downside is that most master's programs aren't funded (meaning you'd be responsible for tuition, which can be expensive) so it may or may not be a feasible option.

First of all - it's not a race. Don't feel rushed because other people are at different stages than you are. That has absolutely no bearing on you or your career path.

Is there an academic adviser you can talk to about this? I'm honestly not sure what will be the best path for you. I know that some people are encouraged to get their MS before applying to vet school in order to help with GPA deficiencies and prove that they can handle the academic load. I'm not sure how post-bacc GPA's are evaluated - I thought that most schools don't consider it when looking at overall GPA? You would need to talk to your IS or whatever vet school you hope to attend and see how they look at it. There are some 1-yr non-thesis master's programs that can potentially help your application. The downside is that most master's programs aren't funded (meaning you'd be responsible for tuition, which can be expensive) so it may or may not be a feasible option.
I do have an advisor to talk to. I’m supposed to graduate spring 2018 with my bachelors. I’m just stuck on what to do to get my gpa up even after that. I know I want to work with animals for sure but I don’t know what I can exactly do without being required to go to vet school. How do most vet schools look at classes that you retake?

I know I want to work with animals for sure but I don’t know what I can exactly do without being required to go to vet school.
there are tons of options on what you can do for a job working with animals that DOESNT require vet school. And TBH, being a vet you're going to be working with people more than animals. As most of the vets will tell you on here, like 90% of their job is working with people vs animals. If you really prefer working with animals, you should look at becoming a vet tech if you still want to be in a veterinary setting. As a vet tech, you're going to have way more hands on time with just animals than most vets. There's also things like working for an animal shelter/humane society, working at a kennel, or being a trainer or a groomer that would allow you to work with animals.

Have you shadowed a veterinarian to see that you do want to become a veterinarian? Or are you just starting your path and are like "being a vet sounds cool how do I do that?" and haven't been in a veterinary setting as anything but a client?

Edited to add this quote from a different thread that had some other options, which is not an exhaustive list of how you can work with animals
Other ideas with animals: laboratory animal technician, dog trainer, park ranger/national forest service, police officer with with specialized k9 unit, pet sitting company, fundraiser/public outreach coordinator for animal rescue organization, animal husbandry technician for zoo or aquarium...

There are many careers that allow you to work with animals outside of being a veterinarian. There are also many careers that give you fixed hours and a steady income that would allow you to work with animals in a volunteer capacity - fostering animals, therapeutic riding center volunteer, etc. Being a veterinarian requires getting through veterinary school, which is an exercise in academic rigor. I'm someone who really struggled with pre-reqs and made it in to vet school and passed my vet school classes; it CAN be done but it certainly isn't for everyone nor is it actively enjoyable to get good grades :laugh: I think I could have been very happy continuing my job as a lab animal technician - sure, less income overall but also zero debt and a satisfying job.

Last edited:
Edit: Here's a calculator that may be useful to you: Raise Your GPA --- It can be used to determine just how high you can raise your GPA based on how many credits you've already taken and what courses you're currently in or have left to complete, as well as how many hours of As you'll need to raise your GPA to a certain level and whether or not that is going to be a realistic goal for you. For example, running it through that calculator, with 96 credit hours amassed, it would take 77 hours of straight As to raise a 2.2 to a 3.0.
I was excited to see this link because I’ve recently been wondering if it was possible to increase my gpa to a certain point. So I tried it and it told me I wasn’t allowed to take 28 credits in a semester! :laugh: I’m like, semester, no that’s how many credits I’m taking this quarter!

Reactions: 2 users
there are tons of options on what you can do for a job working with animals that DOESNT require vet school. And TBH, being a vet you're going to be working with people more than animals. As most of the vets will tell you on here, like 90% of their job is working with people vs animals. If you really prefer working with animals, you should look at becoming a vet tech if you still want to be in a veterinary setting. As a vet tech, you're going to have way more hands on time with just animals than most vets. There's also things like working for an animal shelter/humane society, working at a kennel, or being a trainer or a groomer that would allow you to work with animals.

Have you shadowed a veterinarian to see that you do want to become a veterinarian? Or are you just starting your path and are like "being a vet sounds cool how do I do that?" and haven't been in a veterinary setting as anything but a client?

Edited to add this quote from a different thread that had some other options, which is not an exhaustive list of how you can work with animals
Do I need to get my bachelors before going in the vet tech track? I’ve heard people doing vet tech then later doing vet school. Or can I get my vet tech degree while getting my bachelors? I know I have the potential for good grades. My first college I had a 3.8 gpa and I transferred to start the pre-vet track and I just had a horrible time my first few semesters and my gpa suffered. I’ve been interested in animal therapy like a therapist for animals but doesn’t that require vet school?

Do I need to get my bachelors before going in the vet tech track? I’ve heard people doing vet tech then later doing vet school. Or can I get my vet tech degree while getting my bachelors? I know I have the potential for good grades. My first college I had a 3.8 gpa and I transferred to start the pre-vet track and I just had a horrible time my first few semesters and my gpa suffered. I’ve been interested in animal therapy like a therapist for animals but doesn’t that require vet school?
A vet tech degree would usually be an associates or a bachelors depending on where you go for it, so you wouldn't need to have a bachelors degree first. And some people do tech school and then go onto vet school, but it's definitely not necessary and a lot of people on here will tell you not to spend money on tech school and put yourself in more debt if your ultimate goal is vet school. I'm not sure if vet schools would count tech classes as part of your prerequisites and gpa or not, I haven't researched that route because it's not something I'm interested in doing. And you would also have to be careful about timing because even if you had already taken a lot of vet school prereqs, there is a limit on how long ago they can have been for some (all? Idk) vet schools.

Again, have you shadowed veterinarians to make sure that becoming a vet is actually what you want to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.