what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc2285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I have been checking out the different professions at this children's hospital I work at. I've shadowed some of the OTs that work here and recently decided this is something I want to do.
I wanted to know what are my chances of getting into OT school. I have experience working with autistic kids one on one at home and working closely with other OT's at a pediatric feeding disorder clinic. If I have strong recommendation letters, and a good essay.. Would that be enough if I dont have a great GPA? In college, I changed my major several times before graduating with a psych degree. That brought my GPA down a lot to a 2.5 :/

Should I go back to school and re take my classes or take more classes then apply?
Or would I be okay applying .. even though my GPA sucks...
I havent taken the GREs yet, but I do plan to do so, and hope to have a really good score.

So what are my chances?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

an applicants gpa is the most important, as I have posted before if you do not have atleast a 3.0 cumulative gpa admissions will not even send your file up to be reviewed.I would suggest going back and retaking classes to bring up your gpa to a 3.0.You have to realize that there are A LOT of applicants with experience as well as very good grades and those are the ones that get the spots.

I completely agree. I work in the admissions office at a pharmacy school in texas. for example, our minimum is a 2.75, BUT our average GPA of admitted students its between a 3.3-3.5. so just because an applicant has the cutoff, does not mean they are in, but it also depends on the pool of applicants that happen to be applying with you. it varies from year to year.

but i would also strongly advise you to re-take pre-requisites and even courses that have low grades that are not required for OT school. I have had to bite my tongue and do it myself and it has helped my cumulative GPA dramatically.

I have a completely different opinion then the previous two posts. I'd say contact the admissions department for the school you're interested in applying to, to determine how competitive the process is. Some schools have recommended GPA, but they look at the applicant as a whole, and not just the statistics.

It doesn't hurt to give them a call, the worst thing they can say is "No".