This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keke23

Reaction score
Undergrad University: Florida Atlantic University
Residence: MI
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Middle Eastern (immigrant)
MCAT: 498 (124,123,127,124)
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.15
Graduate GPA: 4.0, masters' of biomedical sciences with a thesis in alzheimer's disease (thesis was published following graduation)
5 letters of recommendation: 1 from pharmacist (boss), 1 from DO, 2 from graduate science professors, 1 from psychology professor whom I worked under during a direct independent study during undergrad
Experience: 6 years pharmacy technician experience (licensed in FL and MI), cofounder of NPO based in Detroit with the mission of helping inner city youth with reading comprehension, masters thesis, graduate teaching assistant for 3 subjects (med term, general bio lab, and gen chem 1 lab), cognitive psychology research assistant, OR Research assistant, poster presentation, thesis publication (listed 12 experiences on AACOMAS and 2 in achievements, didn't list all of my experiences just the most noteworthy ones)

Applied to AACOMAS June 17, 2018. Received a supplemental application from NYITCOM and completed within 9 days.

I applied to 23 schools. I'm most worried about NYITCOM, MSUCOM, UNECOM, KCU, Western (CA), RVU, LECOM, NSUCOM, and WVU

I know my academics in my undergrad may not be great, and my MCAT could be better, but I increased by 6 points from when i originally took it (mostly in bio, 29% to 75%) and I figured I had a strong chance considering my work/research experience and my masters & thesis publication. what do you guys think? I'm very nervous but I'm being encouraged by others that there is a chance considering I applied to a bunch of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply broadly to new schools (UIWSOM, BCOM, etc.).

You have poor chances at established schools like Nova, MSU, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly to new schools (UIWSOM, BCOM, etc.).

You have poor chances at established schools like Nova, MSU, etc.

I did apply to newer schools, including BCOM (again I applied to 23 schools out of 34, with only MSU,NSU,NYITCOM,KCU being "established" schools). What would increase my chances? is it just a higher MCAT score? most schools have a median MCAT of around a 500-502 so I figured with my masters/thesis and experiences I could still get into one at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a shot... but a meek one at that.
Sub 500 MCAT's and low-ish uGPA doesn't look to good when your going up against those with GPA/MCAT above average.
Masters GPA helps however.

The fact that you went up 6 points in MCAT is promising - I suggest to study for it again and jump up another 2-4 points to have the best shot at getting into a DO program. I think applying next cycle is your best move.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Last edited:
I did apply to newer schools, including BCOM (again I applied to 23 schools out of 34, with only MSU,NSU,NYITCOM,KCU being "established" schools). What would increase my chances? is it just a higher MCAT score? most schools have a median MCAT of around a 500-502 so I figured with my masters/thesis and experiences I could still get into one at least.

Have you taken your MCAT after your masters?
When did you take your 1st and 2nd MCAT?
Can you re-take MCAT and score atleast 500?

Have you taken your MCAT after your masters?
When did you take your 1st and 2nd MCAT?
Can you re-take MCAT and score atleast 500?

the first time i took my mcat no i had not completed it, the second time i took it i had completed my masters. I was getting 503 to 504 on the practice tests with next step prep which really threw me off. Now I'm concerned about what is a reliable measure of my progress. i did take all the aamc tests though and i scored a 500 on 2 of them and a 498 on 2 other ones.

also my confidence band was up to 500 so statistically speaking i am within the range of average mcat applicants to DO schools.

Last edited:
Fellow FAU soon to be grad/ current applicant. Isnt your grad GPA calculated into your cum for DO? Whats your verified GPA? I would still leave Nova just because your from FAU and consider MSU a donation or just save the money.
Are there any other schools you are considering adding? Do you have volunteer, shadowing or clinical?

Fellow FAU soon to be grad/ current applicant. Isnt your grad GPA calculated into your cum for DO? Whats your verified GPA? I would still leave Nova just because your from FAU and consider MSU a donation or just save the money.
Are there any other schools you are considering adding? Do you have volunteer, shadowing or clinical?
i have a lot of volunteer/shadowing/clinical experience (I didnt list all of them bc i didn't want to mention every single volunteering opportunity). i was a pharmacy technician and i contacted aacomas and they told me that counted as clinical so i have a lot of clinical hours. I still haven't gotten verified so i'm waiting but I calculated it myself and my results are what I listed above. I'm pretty sure your grad grades are separate from your undergrad gpa.

With solid EC and that grad gpa helping with the cum for DO, you should be able to get in somewhere.... with a 505 mcat retake you would get into a really good DO. Thats up to you