This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my 2nd time applying to DO schools. I graduated with a degree in pre-veterinary medicine & animal biosciences (I changed my mind about being a vet during my junior year, but there was no pre-med major to switch to). cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.2. My lowest grades were two C+ in general chem 2 and physics 2 (I'm currently retaking the chem class and have an A so far!) I also finished my senior year with straight A's. When I applied last time my MCAT was a 496, I just retook it in January and got a 508. I have over 2000 clinical hours of working with patients and doctors (radiologists and an orthopedic surgeon). I have about 50 clinical volunteer hours, and countless volunteer hours with the local firehouse (probably over 200). I have 50 hours shadowing a cardiologist DO, 20 hours shadowing a pulmonologist MD, and 10 hours shadowing an infectious disease MD. I have 6 LOR: 2 DO letters, 2 science professor letters, 1 letter from my academic advisor, and 1 amazing letter from my volunteer coordinator at the firehouse. What are my chances this time?? Also, I'm from Delaware, so I have no in-state schools. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply DO so I'm not 100% sure but overall I would guess you will get at least a few DO II's and probably an acceptance or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is my 2nd time applying to DO schools. I graduated with a degree in pre-veterinary medicine & animal biosciences (I changed my mind about being a vet during my junior year, but there was no pre-med major to switch to). cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.2. My lowest grades were two C+ in general chem 2 and physics 2 (I'm currently retaking the chem class and have an A so far!) I also finished my senior year with straight A's. When I applied last time my MCAT was a 496, I just retook it in January and got a 508. I have over 2000 clinical hours of working with patients and doctors (radiologists and an orthopedic surgeon). I have about 50 clinical volunteer hours, and countless volunteer hours with the local firehouse (probably over 200). I have 50 hours shadowing a cardiologist DO, 20 hours shadowing a pulmonologist MD, and 10 hours shadowing an infectious disease MD. I have 6 LOR: 2 DO letters, 2 science professor letters, 1 letter from my academic advisor, and 1 amazing letter from my volunteer coordinator at the firehouse. What are my chances this time?? Also, I'm from Delaware, so I have no in-state schools. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

Pcom and Jefferson are Delaware in state schools. You probably have best shot at Pcom of the two

I suspect several II's. Apply broadly.

Pcom and Jefferson are Delaware in state schools. You probably have best shot at Pcom of the two

Really? Do you know why that is as they are located in Philadelphia...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Chances should be a LOT better this time, especially if you have a DO LOR.

Apply broadly. I can't recommend Touro-NY or LUCOM.
Start list with PCOM and VCOM

Your app is really well rounded. I think you'll be good! Just apply really broadly to be safe.

Yes, unfortunately the state of Delaware cut the funding for that program. So now there are no instate schools for us. I did have an interview at PCOM last year, and I suspect it was because the program was still intact then (they gave me an interview with my 496 MCAT, so I was very surprised)

Thank you so much for your responses everyone...I feel better now. I applied to St. George's last year too, and they granted me a deferment until this fall. They've been calling me asking for a deposit for this fall...but I haven't given them anything yet because I want to apply to DO schools again this year. I was honest with SGU and told them with my new MCAT score, I wanted to try another round of applications. They told me they didn't feel my score was high enough for DO schools. So I've been freaking out a bit.

Thank you so much for your responses everyone...I feel better now. I applied to St. George's last year too, and they granted me a deferment until this fall. They've been calling me asking for a deposit for this fall...but I haven't given them anything yet because I want to apply to DO schools again this year. I was honest with SGU and told them with my new MCAT score, I wanted to try another round of applications. They told me they didn't feel my score was high enough for DO schools. So I've been freaking out a bit.

Of course they did, they're a business that wants your $300k. You are an EXCELLENT candidate for DO schools, please do not go to the Caribbean.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, unfortunately the state of Delaware cut the funding for that program. So now there are no instate schools for us. I did have an interview at PCOM last year, and I suspect it was because the program was still intact then (they gave me an interview with my 496 MCAT, so I was very surprised)

Yea I realized that later sorry!

Classic Caribbean diploma mills. Without SDN, I would have fallen prey to the exact same situation. Instead I found DO osteopathic schools and was just accepted.

You are within striking distance with many DO schools. Apply broadly. You will have some luck. Cheers.