What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS3 and I have just recently decided I am interested in plastics. I have good grades (~3.97) and will probably be AOA. I got a 256 on Step I and I attend a medical school that is traditionally known to have a top plastics program. The big gap on my application is NO research. What are my chances of getting a spot without research? Should I try to squeeze in a month of token research or focus my time on away rotations? I know that there are no guarantees and nobody can tell me for sure if I will get in or not, but what is your impression on the research "requirement." Should I not even bother applying and apply for general surgery instead?

Members don't see this ad.

98% of respondents said your numbers are good enough for you to attain interviews at integrated plastics programs.

In the hypercompetitive fields of derm and integrated plastics high numbers are a must, but the intangibles and fortune will allow you to match. Personality, looks, connections, random chance, fashion sense etc.

Regarding your research question: it doesn't sound like you're too keen to do research. And if you did, it would only for a little insignificant line on your application. Is it necessary?? hmmm...I think every little thing can only help your application.

You said you go to a school with a top plastics program. This can be to your advantage if you get to know some of the power players in your field. However, this is a very delicate operation and I would advise you to talk to some ppl regarding how to approach particular faculty members. I stress this b/c I've heard that at my school the chairman of the plastics dept will send out lukewarm letters if he doesn't like you that much.

Overall, you have a good foundation with your numbers...I would say do your plastics elective early at your school and proceed from there. Sounds like you're motivated and interested just go for it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is AOA?

Members don't see this ad :)
it can stand for two things
1) alpha omega alpha - MD honor society

2) american osteopathic? assoc. - DO group

of course in this case stands for #1

Originally posted by friendlyfriend
it can stand for two things
1) alpha omega alpha - MD honor society

2) american osteopathic? assoc. - DO group

of course in this case stands for #1

O ok. Congrats.