What are my chances with UMDNJ-SOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering what my chances were of getting into UMDNJ-SOM with these stats:

GPA: 3.45

MCAT: 22Q (P6, V5, B11)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you need to increase your mcats to at least a 27 to have a decent shot.

Hopeful DO said:
Hey everyone. I was wondering what my chances were of getting into UMDNJ-SOM with these stats:

I think you have a 50:50 shot!! Give it a try, U have a good gpa, mcat a little low but hey what can you do!! The average MCAT scores from osteopathic students is a 24.... which means there are people with above and below a 24....... U probably will get an interview, u just have to leave a fabulous impression.... GOod Luck, :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopeful DO said:

My GPA was around the same, though my MCAT's were higher. I was interviewed and accepted relatively early and I was told by admissions that I am competetive. This means that you are at least decently competetive. I would reccomend that you call up, visit, or whatever you have to do to show interest in the program. If you show interest in them, they'll show interest in you. Good luck.

Actually, SOM's MCAT average is just above 26 overall, it is higher than most other osteopathic medical schools. If your scores were all above 7 at least I would think you had a better shot but to be honest I think you may have to retake the MCAT since you have two score below that. DO schools look at the overall picture as well, so without knowing your ECs, life story, and medical experience it is hard to say; however, that MCAT score is still going to be quite the obstacle. You should still give it a shot this year if you really want to.

Dr. Macenat said:
I think you have a 50:50 shot!! Give it a try, U have a good gpa, mcat a little low but hey what can you do!! The average MCAT scores from osteopathic students is a 24.... which means there are people with above and below a 24....... U probably will get an interview, u just have to leave a fabulous impression.... GOod Luck, :)

Hey all! I'm in a similar boat. My GPA was a 3.82. First mcat was P:7, V:9, B:3; second was a little bit of an improvement overall with P:5, V:11, B:6. I'm doing my masters at UMDNJ in Stratford in biomedical science. I'd love a little insight into my chances. I just want to know if it's even worth it to apply this round. Thanks so much!

My pre-med adviser, who seemed to be relatively informed, told me that UMDNJ-SOM had an average MCAT score of like 27-28 for last year. I would contact admissions and ask them if they think a 22 is worth paying the application fee for.

Seems like DO is getting harder each year.

My pre-med adviser, who seemed to be relatively informed, told me that UMDNJ-SOM had an average MCAT score of like 27-28 for last year. I would contact admissions and ask them if they think a 22 is worth paying the application fee for.

Seems like DO is getting harder each year.

...thats what she said

Hey all! I'm in a similar boat. My GPA was a 3.82. First mcat was P:7, V:9, B:3; second was a little bit of an improvement overall with P:5, V:11, B:6. I'm doing my masters at UMDNJ in Stratford in biomedical science. I'd love a little insight into my chances. I just want to know if it's even worth it to apply this round. Thanks so much!

You probably should have just made a new thread. Anyway, honestly with a 22 and a break down that has two scores below 7 you've got very little chance getting into even a low tier DO school, never the less a high tier DO school like UMDNJ. Furthermore your Masters degree was unnecessary as it will not assist you, your gpa is high, your problem is that you have an extraordinarily low mcat score that needs to be raised.

My question is this: Have you spoken to Mrs. Watkins? If you are in GSBS you should speak to her before asking anyone else to speculate on your application.