What are my chances with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occam92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on any forum! Kind of an odd experience, but here it goes!

DAT Scores:
PAT 21
QR 17
RCT 23
Bio 20
GC 20
OC 21
TS 20
AA 20

My sGPA is 3.22, oGPA is 3.33, and bscGPA is 3.24. BS is Biology.

I know these look low, but I was 2.99 coming out of community college and 3.56 coming out of undergrad (does that help me at all?) with Dean's Honors List. However, it is pretty daunting that people with 3.7s and 24aa's are complaining on this forum...if they can't get in, how can I?

Schools I'm applying to:
AZ, MWU, LLU, USC, WESTU, NSU, MWU-IL, TUF, and MYD

EC:
Hospital internship: 280 hours (LOR)
Dental lab waxer: 600 hours (for manual dexterity) (LOR)

Dentist Shadowing:
300 hours (LOR)

240 hours of undergraduate laboratory research

I have a committee packet including all of these activities with strong recommendations and a strong personal statement.

So the other issue is that my application is going to be finalized by Monday (10/31/16) which is quite late in the cycle for someone like me with average stats. Do I stand a chance or should I just count on applying early next cycle? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances (for this or next cycle)? The only way for my GPA to climb to 3.4 is to take 40 semester units of biology classes and get all A's which seems rather insane. Are they more interested in sGPA or bscGPA?

If I got a C in calculus I, is it worth my time and sanity to retake it? What is the difference between retaking something or just taking a new class if it just gets added as an independent grade anyways (no replacement)? Are there some very basic classes that they do not count? or anything with BIO, PHYS, or CHEM next to it is fair game for sGPA?

Please advise, thank you all for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Glancing over everything, I'd say you have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. I'm not too knowledgable about your list of schools, though, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

Anyways, let's take a look at everything...
Hello everyone,
DAT Scores:
PAT 21
QR 17
RCT 23
Bio 20
GC 20
OC 21
TS 20
AA 20

DAT scores are great, don't worry about it. And a 17 in QR is better than a 17 in any other section (dental schools seem to weigh QR the least).

I know these look low, but I was 2.99 coming out of community college and 3.56 coming out of undergrad (does that help me at all?) with Dean's Honors List.
Upward trends are great to see. What were your last few semesters like?

So the other issue is that my application is going to be finalized by Monday (10/31/16) which is quite late in the cycle for someone like me with average stats. Do I stand a chance or should I just count on applying early next cycle? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances (for this or next cycle)?

When you say "finalized by Monday," do you mean you are e-submitting on that day? If so, your app still needs to be processed and it won't be mailed out until late November. That's getting pretty late... but you've already come this far. You may as well go through with applying this cycle. At this point, I don't think theres any substantial way to improve your application. Keep working/volunteering in case you don't get in this cycle.

The only way for my GPA to climb to 3.4 is to take 40 semester units of biology classes and get all A's which seems rather insane. Are they more interested in sGPA or bscGPA?

Adcoms look at all your GPAs. From what I've heard, though, bcpGPA might be considered the most important.

If I got a C in calculus I, is it worth my time and sanity to retake it? What is the difference between retaking something or just taking a new class if it just gets added as an independent grade anyways (no replacement)?

Mathematically speaking, retaking the class would have the larger impact on your GPA than taking an entirely new class (albeit insignificantly more). It's your call.

Are there some very basic classes that they do not count? or anything with BIO, PHYS, or CHEM next to it is fair game for sGPA?

All science classes count towards your sGPA, even introductory courses. This also includes MICR, PHYL, BIOC, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are almost identical to mine and I have a few interviews. Your ec are great. The only weakness I can see is that you applied pretty late. If you dont get in this cycle, just make sure you apply in June of next year when the cycle open again and you should be good. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are almost identical to mine and I have a few interviews. Your ec are great. The only weakness I can see is that you applied pretty late. If you dont get in this cycle, just make sure you apply in June of next year when the cycle open again and you should be good. GL
Agreed! It's pretty really late lol. If it doesn't work out this cycle make sure to apply early next cycle. Perhaps while you wait from now till summer retake a few clssses and do some more EC's.

Upward trends are great to see. What were your last few semesters like?

FA15 - 3.59, SP16 - 3.5o

When you say "finalized by Monday," do you mean you are e-submitting on that day?

Yes, unfortunately my personal statement took longer than I had hoped, and I was tied up with the DAT and classes. I am perfecting it tonight and e-submitting.

Thanks a lot for taking the time for a thorough response. I know I had a lot of questions, your post has put me at ease :)!

Reactions: 1 user

Great! That makes me feel better about this whole thing. So many people on here have amazing stats and are complaining! lol

Agreed! It's pretty really late lol. If it doesn't work out this cycle make sure to apply early next cycle. Perhaps while you wait from now till summer retake a few clssses and do some more EC's.

Yes, will do. Planning to continue taking classes and start volunteering at a dental clinic until the next cycle rolls around. I'll be the first one applying!!

Reactions: 1 user
A bit late to esubmit with your stats but your ECs look pretty damn awesome and an upwards trend is always good

FA15 - 3.59, SP16 - 3.5o

Yes, unfortunately my personal statement took longer than I had hoped, and I was tied up with the DAT and classes. I am perfecting it tonight and e-submitting.

Thanks a lot for taking the time for a thorough response. I know I had a lot of questions, your post has put me at ease :)!

Glad to hear. Good luck on your applications